Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Yard Lamps For Croxley Wiggenhall Road Depot, Your Opinions Please
Xerces Fobe
post 18 Oct 2009, 23:09
Post #1

Fireman

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,021

I would appreciate fellow Forum Members opinion as I am about to install yard lamps on my layout Croxley WRD, which is set in the time span of circa 1960 -1980 so I try to keep buildings etc fairly generic for this period. I have however been given a present of 2 Viessmann Yard lamps which are a little European looking and have a more modern look about them and to my mind look very out of place on the layout. I have however dirtied one of the lamps up blackened around the spotlights to make the lamp look more from the era we are modelling.

Below is a photo of the an unmodified yard lamp in the box on the right and on the left modified the retro Anglicized lamp.

My question is do you think I should install these lamps or do they detract from the era of the layout?

For those of you unfamiliar with the Croxley WRD depot layout here is the link to my website http://croxleywiggenhallroaddepot.website.orange.co.uk/

Xerces Fobe
Go to the top of the page

+
Brian Considine
post 19 Oct 2009, 07:34
Post #2

No Longer Active.
Group Icon

Member No.: 702

The mods are a great improvement & judging by the amount of them (& the Brawa equivelent) that we sell to UK modellers will look fine. Don't run them at full voltage though - the lamps/bulbs/globes will get too hot if you do.

We did the opposite with one for the level crossing on SL - to make them look more modern we fitted them with "white" LED's (the early ones with the slightly blueish tint) to make them look like metal halide floodlamps.

+
Fenway Park
post 19 Oct 2009, 16:25
Post #3

Ticket Collector

Member No.: 4,492

Hi,

CR Signals offer Yard Lamps in both OO and N. Their website is http:www.crsignals.com/

I have never used their products but found them searching for colour light signals in N.

+
John Webb
post 19 Oct 2009, 20:11
Post #4

Regional Controller

Member No.: 144

In Chris Leigh's book "A Railway Modeller's Picture Library" on page 103 there is a photo of a 1963 built offices at Tyneside Central Freight Depot. This shows two styles of lighting - one a substantial lattice mast with a square platform on top; three corners of the 4 have lamps on them, the lamps being mounted on inverted 'J' posts and fitted with large glass bowls - I assume these could be moved to bring any of the lamps over the platform to service them.
A short distance away is a large round mast with three more modern-looking discharge lamp fittings possiblely fitted to cables to allow them to be lowered for servicing - the exact detail is unclear.

The lamps I recall from memory of the late 50s/early 60s at local goods yards (Southern Region, not LMR) were large enamelled wedge-shaped open floodlights with a vertical bulb-holder towards the rear - ie the thick part of the wedge. Sorry, no pictures!

Regards,
John

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2014 - 07:55