Model Railway Forum banner

Remagen.

104K views 427 replies 69 participants last post by  Al 
#1 ·

I have the drawing and the brass. Time I got started.

See less See more
#3 ·
*** Thats great Al - the first soldered joint will he the hardest :) ...after that its all time and perseverance!

I really do look forward to seeing it evolve!

Regards

Richard

#5 ·
That's a seriously long looking bridge Al. I'm guessing that the pencil is about 7" which makes the bridge a couple of yards??

David

#10 ·
No David - I think he'll go for the golden gate

Regards

#12 ·
QUOTE (Al @ 30 Nov 2009, 11:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Only before it fell down....

Did it fall or was it pushed?..............

Regards

#15 ·
The Rhine was the last major physical barrier to the Allied advance into Germany and the Ludendorff Bridge was the only crossing point remaining standing.
The bridge survived for about ten days after its capture before it succumbed to the damage it had sustained.
Both sides had tried to destroy it, the Americans to prevent the German forces still on the west bank from escaping before realising its importance as crossing point and the Germans to prevent the Americans establishing a bridgehead.

#18 ·
A couple of update photos of the bridge with my 231 Nord plus 11 to give a better idea of scale.

Both side frames are about 70% compiles. Just the two up longitudinal beams and cross braces on the centre to do. The track deck will be the next, ten it's a case of assembling it all together.

#22 ·
Very nice, I'm suitably impressed.

Regards

#23 ·
Outstanding,
Sir I salut you

#24 ·
I hit a bit of a problem with the bridge over the Christmas break. While working on the drawings for the two stonework towers it became clear I'd made a mistake on the bridge length. The model was 280mm too short....!

After considering all the options I desided if I don't correct the error I'd never be satisfied with it. So nothing else to do but strip down each side frame and rebuild them to the correct length. Both frames are now back to the stage they were in the last photo, and now I've a rail bender at my disposal I can crack on with the main beams on the central section.

I'm hoping to have this completed by the end of the weekend and will post up a few photo then.

#25 ·
Another update on the bridge.

One side frame has been remodelled to the correct length, and it's suprisingly ridged now that the two curved beams are on.
Planning to crack on with the other side next week, followed by the track deck. Then comes the delicate task of soldering all three parts together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.