post 9 Dec 2009, 07:20
Post #1

Fireman

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,484

hi, what do you people think to these items? dry.gif

Are they as good as they sound?

Do they work well?

I have only seen Second hand Hammant & Morgan or new/second hand Gaugemaster...are there others out there??.

what do you use and what are the good/bad points of the unit you use??

Stock I want to test are; 0-6-0, 2-8-0, 0-8-0

many thanks
joe smile.gif

--------------------
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Go to the top of the page

+
madon37s
post 9 Dec 2009, 08:47
Post #2

Regional Controller

From: Shrewsbury, Shropshire ( where the sun always shines!)
Member No.: 3,956

Hi Joe

I have never used or even seen one so alas I cannot give you any advice on pros or cons, all I will say is that the idea is certainly a good one but I have always tested my loco's on the track on the layout as that is where the engine will be earning it's keep!

Kind regards

Paul

--------------------
Kind regards

Paul

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best day of my life = Getting married to Sue my wife. Second best day of my life = Riding behind 37429 in Regional Railways livery thrashing away on the North Wales Coast line with my best mate.

+
TonyDaly
post 9 Dec 2009, 09:01
Post #3

Station Master

Member No.: 2,256

QUOTE (TidzaBoy @ 9 Dec 2009, 07:20) *
hi, what do you people think to these items? dry.gif

Are they as good as they sound?

Do they work well?

I have only seen Second hand Hammant & Morgan or new/second hand Gaugemaster...are there others out there??.

what do you use and what are the good/bad points of the unit you use??

Stock I want to test are; 0-6-0, 2-8-0, 0-8-0

many thanks
joe smile.gif

Hi Joe.
You mean like this.

http://finneyandsmith.co.uk/finneyandsmith/bachrus.htm

http://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/acata...rnby-R8211.html

If you do a search on youtube you will see examples of them at work.

Enjoy.

--------------------
Regards.
Tony.
South West Ireland.

The only stupid questions are the one's you don't ask.

+
Brian Considine
post 9 Dec 2009, 09:04
Post #4

No Longer Active.
Group Icon

Member No.: 702

The GM was is an excellent bit of kit & you can use the built in controller to run trains on a layout (1 amp output) or as an unsmoothed bench power supply. One resides on my workbench (on the rare occasions that you can actually see the bench LOL !).

It is well made, albeit quite expensive & will be discontinued when existing stocks are sold.

+
Paul-H
post 9 Dec 2009, 09:11
Post #5

Fireman

Member No.: 5,827

I have just ordered 8 of the Bachmann ones from America, they were the usual half price from over the pond

There are a number of other choices though

Hornby

Rollings Rails

Bachrus

& Gaugemaster

So quite a few, If I hadn't got the bachmann ones for such a good price I would have gone for the one from Rolling Rails

+
pistonbroke
post 9 Dec 2009, 09:38
Post #6

Ticket Collector

Member No.: 3,441

I'm using the hornby and it's fine you can also buy extra sets to runnin 2-10-0 etc
Alex

+
andyr
post 9 Dec 2009, 09:48
Post #7

Ticket Collector

Member No.: 5,594

I've been using a 00 Rolling Rails for quite some time, I've found it excellent for steam locos but find it less effective for diesels, particularly the heavier models.
Regards,
Andy

+
upnick
post 9 Dec 2009, 09:50
Post #8

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 2,300

QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 9 Dec 2009, 09:04) *
The GM was is an excellent bit of kit & you can use the built in controller to run trains on a layout (1 amp output) or as an unsmoothed bench power supply. One resides on my workbench (on the rare occasions that you can actually see the bench LOL !).

It is well made, albeit quite expensive & will be discontinued when existing stocks are sold.

Like Brian i have an N gauge version of the GM tester which is excellent & have it under the layout for a power supply for continuity when laying track before wrinig things up.
Handy thing with the GM is a built in meter.

If i was to go for a tester /rolling road section for the layout again i would choose the Bachrus saddles which can be used on DC/DCC ......... they are a much more economical option & when the GM are discontiued the way to go.

http://www.bachrus.com/runstandsoverview.php

http://www.dccsupplies.com/shop/index.php?...facturers_id=32

--------------------
UPNICK.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have a railroad to build.

''Building America''

+
John Webb
post 9 Dec 2009, 10:56
Post #9

Regional Controller

Member No.: 144

The Hornby ones are OK if you are working in 16.5mm gauge. There are two varients, the original one with 'dead' rollers and the more recent version (R8211) with live rollers (spares are part no. R8212). This latter one is the better as it will take tank locos and small diesels which the older one wouldn't as pick up would only go through the tender.

I use mine with my live steam models and it has no problems.

Regards,
John Webb

+
34C
post 9 Dec 2009, 11:11
Post #10

In depth idiot

Member No.: 1,818

QUOTE (madon37s @ 9 Dec 2009, 08:47) *
... I have always tested my loco's on the track on the layout as that is where the engine will be earning it's keep ...

Me too.

The only thing you work on a rolling road is the driven wheels, and on a straight track alignment.

You get no assessment of traction, track holding, ability to negotiate the minimum radius and pointwork of a layout. A circle of track on a piece of board (which may be stood against the wall when out of use) is a far better and cheaper test tool if space is limited.

I can see a use for these with the live steam models, to acquire the driving technique, but otherwise it is an expensive novelty: fine if you like that sort of thing, but I will have the equivalent in wagons for my trains please!

+
Manfred Ebinger
post 9 Dec 2009, 11:20
Post #11

Fireman
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 4,831

QUOTE (madon37s @ 9 Dec 2009, 18:47) *
I have never used or even seen one so alas I cannot give you any advice on pros or cons, all I will say is that the idea is certainly a good one but I have always tested my loco's on the track on the layout as that is where the engine will be earning it's keep!

Kind regards

Paul

The one advantage that I have found is that I can take my rolling road to work and run my loco's in on my desk.

I have the gaugemaster unit, the ammeter is useful and it can be used as a layout controller if you want, but the rollers are the pits, so I modified the unit to take the Bachmann rollers. The GM rollers are very flimsy, where the Bacmann ones are minature roller bearings. The bachmann rollers also have the advantage of being able to place them on plain track on your layout.

--------------------
Cheers Manfred

+
John Webb
post 9 Dec 2009, 14:06
Post #12

Regional Controller

Member No.: 144

QUOTE (34C @ 9 Dec 2009, 11:11) *
....I can see a use for these with the live steam models, to acquire the driving technique, .....

I regularly use my rolling road for the first few minutes of a live steam run to warm the model up. Unlike the prototype there are no cylinder cocks so while the cylinders are cold the condensed water has to be pushed out of the chimney - this not only leads to erratic running but scatters water and oil all over the place. Warming up on the rolling road keeps the dirt more or less in one place and once warmed up the loco is easy to control when placed on the track.

Regards,
John

+
TidzaBoy
post 9 Dec 2009, 16:29
Post #13

Fireman

Member No.: 1,484

hi, thanks for all the interesting replies.... a varied selection and plenty of food for thought!!

many thanks again,
joe smile.gif

--------------------
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

+
Piemanlarger
post 9 Dec 2009, 17:13
Post #14

Passed Fireman

Member No.: 1,049

i use bachrus rolling road. they are very good.

--------------------
"If I cant hear the loco, its just not right"

+
dwb
post 9 Dec 2009, 18:45
Post #15

Station cat
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 507

My Bachrus rolling road is the only place I can "run in" DC locos before I chip them.

I've also found it useful for finding out which wheel isn't picking up power from the collectors.

David

--------------------

Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 900+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.

+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2014 - 16:34