Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine shed layouts.
richydunn
post 12 Jan 2010, 17:48
Post #1

Guard

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,580

I am going to modelling a steam era loco depot. I am finding it very difficult to decide on a final layout design. Does anybody have any plans I could possibly use? I would greatly appreciate this as im going round the bend trying to find a suitable plan! Cheers.
Go to the top of the page

+
bike2steam
post 12 Jan 2010, 22:13
Post #2

Fireman

Member No.: 867

Depends which area you want to base it on, as it varies greatly.

--------------------

+
dwb
post 12 Jan 2010, 22:41
Post #3

Station cat
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 507

From time to time, books on engine sheds are published. I was fortunate to pick one up about Great Northern Railways Engine Sheds in Lancashire and Yorkshire. This contains a large number of track plans. Keep an eye on bookstalls at model railway exhibitions, have a browse and if something catches your eye, buy it.

Sometimes it is possible to find plans on line. A few years ago, I found this plan of Tyseley works from 1908 - link. This is definitely on the large side of large and contains a double turntable roundhouse and traverser.

David

--------------------
Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 900+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.

+
PeterPug
post 12 Jan 2010, 22:44
Post #4

Station Master

Member No.: 4,719

Interesting idea.

If you look at:

Warwickshire Railways - sheds

there are photos and plans of some sheds

e.g. some plans:
Coventry shed
Monument Lane shed

--------------------

+
Tom Fernley
post 12 Jan 2010, 22:53
Post #5

Fireman

Member No.: 4,587

Hi richydunn,

Paul is right, although some basic elements were more or less common to any steam MPD, afaik:
  • coaling facility
  • watering stage
  • ash pits, for 'dropping' the fire
  • a method of turning the locos, either a turntable or a triangle
  • some sidings
  • numerous ancillary buildings, messing facilities, maybe some grounded coach bodies...
  • last but not least, a shed!
How your arrange these is I suppose the question, although I think I'm right in saying that there was a common process for a loco coming off a turn. First up would be dropping the fire, followed I think by cleaning down the grate. The loco would then be coaled and watered, before being put into the shed or on a siding.

For the Western region, I can simply suggest visiting Didcot Railway Centre - you will get a fantastic idea about all the elements of a GW MPD. For London Midland, I can recommend the LMS Engine Sheds series by Chris Hawkins and George Reeve, covering the constituent companies (LNWR, MR etc) in five volumes. Photos, plans, drawings, a great deal of info. When I find it out, I'll post details of a book on LMS architecture I was told about at Warley - I need to get in touch with the guy who told me, somehow...

Distinguishing features for LNE and Southern are unknown to me. It's worth noting that the Bachmann and (I think) Hornby coaling towers would 'fit' a LMS layout. Having said all that, it may be worth buying a building like this and building up from there as you like.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Tom

QUOTE (bike2steam @ 12 Jan 2010, 22:13) *
Depends which area you want to base it on, as it varies greatly.

+
Tom Fernley
post 12 Jan 2010, 23:21
Post #6

Fireman

Member No.: 4,587

QUOTE (PeterPug @ 12 Jan 2010, 22:44) *
Great link Peter; thanks a lot!

Tom

+
PeterPug
post 13 Jan 2010, 17:28
Post #7

Station Master

Member No.: 4,719

Tom

it really is an excellent site, and I think they are still adding more information (it is in the links section on MRF...)

Regards
Peter

--------------------

+
shedmad66
post 13 Jan 2010, 18:50
Post #8

Station Master

Member No.: 4,513

QUOTE (Tom Fernley @ 12 Jan 2010, 22:53) *
Hi richydunn,

Paul is right, although some basic elements were more or less common to any steam MPD, afaik:
  • coaling facility
  • watering stage
  • ash pits, for 'dropping' the fire
  • a method of turning the locos, either a turntable or a triangle
  • some sidings
  • numerous ancillary buildings, messing facilities, maybe some grounded coach bodies...
  • last but not least, a shed!
How your arrange these is I suppose the question, although I think I'm right in saying that there was a common process for a loco coming off a turn. First up would be dropping the fire, followed I think by cleaning down the grate. The loco would then be coaled and watered, before being put into the shed or on a siding.

For the Western region, I can simply suggest visiting Didcot Railway Centre - you will get a fantastic idea about all the elements of a GW MPD. For London Midland, I can recommend the LMS Engine Sheds series by Chris Hawkins and George Reeve, covering the constituent companies (LNWR, MR etc) in five volumes. Photos, plans, drawings, a great deal of info. When I find it out, I'll post details of a book on LMS architecture I was told about at Warley - I need to get in touch with the guy who told me, somehow...

Distinguishing features for LNE and Southern are unknown to me. It's worth noting that the Bachmann and (I think) Hornby coaling towers would 'fit' a LMS layout. Having said all that, it may be worth buying a building like this and building up from there as you like.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Tom

Or sheds!

--------------------
Shedmad 66
MD of the S.G.R- Shed in Garden Railway
I'm not being cheeky, I'm stating facts!
My other blog http://allthingsairfxmodels.blogspot.com/

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 08:09