Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Atlas Editions RTW for £1.99, Is this a Scam?
Xerces Fobe
post 12 Mar 2010, 22:11
Post #1

Fireman

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,021

Hi Mike

I purchased my April edition of Hornby Magazine from WHSmiths in Maidenhead and inside was a leaflet detailing what appears to be a to good to be true offer for a model of a Corgi RTW bus for just £1.99 with free P&Pfrom a company called Atlas Editions. I am not sure if you are even aware of this offer as these leaflets could have been inserted in the store or somewhere else in the distribution network. I have just Googled Atlas Editions and they appears to be some negative press which concerned me.

Here is a link to the same offer on the web http://www.atlaseditions.co.uk/p/291581/Buses.html

Are Hornby Magazine/Ian Allan aware of this offer and if so please can you confirm it's authenticity? If not and my suspicion's are well founded could I suggest that an advisory notice is posted on the Hornby Forum?

Best Regards,

Nigel.

PS Some great articles this month and more EMUS thumbsup.gif
Go to the top of the page

+
Spanner
post 14 Mar 2010, 10:00
Post #2

Ticket Collector

Member No.: 2,702

Nigel

I subscribe to Hornby magazine and the leaflet was inside my copy.

regards

Chris

+
ME 26-06
post 14 Mar 2010, 10:22
Post #3

103 driver

Member No.: 1,656

Sounds like some of the stuff De Agostini is offering in Germany (1/72 tanks), France and Spain (1/43 cars) and Italy (1/144 WWII bomber planes). The first magazine plus model is usually between 2 and 5 Euro, the next are around 10 to 15. The De Agostini models are usually worth it, though.

--------------------
Fais-moi rêver comédien, chante, danse, baladin
Dans la ronde folle entraîne-moi,
donne-moi l'amour et la joie!

+
Tamrover
post 24 Mar 2010, 22:18
Post #4

Ticket Collector

Member No.: 5,297

As it was a too good to be true offer I took it up. However, just by chance I was going to show a friend this amazing offer and Googled Atlas Editions and came up with a mass of complaints against this company, now I wish I hadn't bothered they seem to be a bombscare.

Are Hornby Magazine and the Ian Allan group aware of these alleged scams?
Was there research into Atlas before taking on their leaflet?

+
leicester thumpe...
post 24 Mar 2010, 23:04
Post #5

Steam Freak!

Member No.: 5,783

Atlas isn't a scam, we signed up for the HOish size engiens and magazines, etc and had no problems with them, we had to cut back so we had to cancel but we didn't have any problems...

--------------------
Loud and Proud.... and rocks out to guitar :)

+
sarah
post 25 Mar 2010, 19:19
Post #6

Foreman

Member No.: 4,244

I agree.

I have had a few of Atlas' offers.

Never any problems cancelling. Just read all the paperwork, and don't forget to cancel promptly!

I am looking forward to my bus. smile.gif

--------------------

+
nick lamkin
post 8 May 2010, 03:31
Post #7

Railway_Cuttings

Member No.: 5,064

No they are not a scam.

I ordered my RTW bus a couple of months back and I think they underestimated the demand for them.
I emailed them a few weeks back they confirmed that they had my order and would be dealt with eventually.

I received my bus yesterday and have paid my £2.

Again it is not a scam - you can stop with the RTW or you can order an open top Southdown VR for £7.99 if you want.
No doubt there will another attractive offer enclosed with the VR.

By the way the RTW is a very nice OOC model and suitable for any one modelling the London area in the 50's and 60's

Nick Lamkin

+
sarah
post 18 May 2010, 18:39
Post #8

Foreman

Yep.

1 nice bus. (Though you do have to remove it from the "plinth" if you wish to use it "on the road"...)

By the way, the "next bus" is in fact a Southdown Bristol Lowdecca Open Top, on the Brighton Seafront Service.

--------------------

+
peter44
post 18 May 2010, 19:11
Post #9

Ticket Collector

Member No.: 2,173

Hi
I sent of for this item in February through a flyer in another publication and recieved it about 4 weeks later they do try to push other deals onto you but of course you can decline but for £1.99 which you send off after receipt its a great bargain and looks great on my layout .
Peter

+
A4 No.9
post 18 May 2010, 20:03
Post #10

Guard

Member No.: 7,491

Ive had a few items from Atlas. I collected some of their WW2 aircraft & also some of their Sports Cars. And got a DVD on both of the subjects & a watch as a free gift if I recall correctly.
They were fine to deal with, but if you are going to cancel, as stated earlier, do it in plenty of time!!
I stopped the planes ok, but waited too long to cancel the cars & received the next model AFTER Id cancelled. I then had to return it................ to France or Luxembourg I believe? Unsurprisingly, they didnt get it back & I got a reminder!! So I was expecting to have to pay for it....................... but a quick phone call to then resulted in me having to sign a form to say Id returned it & I got a letter acknowledging the order was cancelled, with nothing to pay. And that was it!! Ive not heard any more about it

So I was impressed !! But they do try to push other products................. but just be firm!!

And they are decent models!!

+
sarah
post 19 May 2010, 09:45
Post #11

Foreman

Just for fun, I had a look on Ebay. You would probably believe just how many Atlas RTWs are listed for sale.

Apparently, there are a few differences from the OOC origianl issues. (Like a few transfers not used, Fleet number and legal lettering for two.)

--------------------

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd December 2014 - 00:04