> Renovating/restoring Hornby O gauge
paulpaul
post 7 Apr 2010, 21:08
Post #1

Baggage Porter

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,797

Hi folks,
I have dug out a pretty large collection of old Hornby O gauge locos, carriages, wagons etc, and a couple are in a pretty sorry state!

What I wondered, despite hours of searching on the interweb, was how I should go about renovating them?

Firstly, I'm not sure if this is frowned upon by serious collectors (probably!) but would it really destroy any value they may have?

The roofs of some of the carriages are pretty rusty, and I would like to have them gleaming again.

What I am very surprised at is the fact there is literally NO information on the web about this process. I have googled just about every possible connotation of restore/repaint hornby and there is NOTHING coming up!

Some roofs are an off-white colour, and some are grey-Is there a colour code for this so I can get a matching paint?

And is there any special technique for painting the tinplate or can I just prepare the surface and go ahead and spray them? Also, should there be a varnish applied over the top?

If any knowledgable folks can shed any light on this I would be most appreciative!

PS If anyone wants to take any off my hands before i 'destroy' them, please let me know!

Cheers, Paul
Go to the top of the page

+
Brian Considine
post 8 Apr 2010, 07:54
Post #2

No Longer Active.
Group Icon

Member No.: 702

Hi Paul - I have no idea at all on the pros/cons of restoring the "O" stock or going about it.

What I can do though is to welcome you to MRF.

I'm sure that some of the members here will be able to help.

+
post 8 Apr 2010, 08:38
Post #3

Chief mouser
Group Icon

Member No.: 706

Hi Paul

Restoration of old stock is always a touchy subject, and without knowing what you actually have it will be difficult for anyone to advise accurately. Some old Hornby O is collectable and has value, other items are not. My personal opinion would be if you want to repaint the roofs - go ahead, if they are as battered as you say I can't see it having any major detrimental effect.

Regards

--------------------
Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever
A Penguin is for life - not just elevenses
Dave Saffery
Haine Road
Nether Sennett

+
paulpaul
post 8 Apr 2010, 23:11
Post #4

Baggage Porter

Member No.: 7,797

ok thanks for that-I may just go ahead and repaint them then!

Ive made some nice mahogany display cases with some track and buffers for them, so I guess since im not selling them, it makes no odds to repaint them!

Cheers again

Paul

+
leicester thumpe...
post 8 Apr 2010, 23:18
Post #5

Steam Freak!

Member No.: 5,783

i will say go for it

me and my dad have done this a fair few times now with rolling stock, and we would say heed warning that some spray paints might react when sprayed on, so we recommend stripping it right back to bare metal, priming it, then spraying it, wet and dry if necessary! we have found that though not an exact match, Halfords car spray cans do quite a good job.

also just watch some of the lithographing, as any rust will damage this and remove the lithograph, so in this scenario, a rag and some oil is a good idea smile.gif

anyway good luck with this and if you want anymore tips and help then please PM me, i may be able to help, as i have friends who collect this stuff and carry spares, if need be.

LT

--------------------
Loud and Proud.... and rocks out to guitar :)

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 02:18