Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Peco and Hornby track
Coldgunner
post 17 Oct 2010, 17:32
Post #1

Passed Fireman

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,511

very quick question, is Peco-100 compatible with regular hornby track? I want to expand my track and I'm thinking about using Peco.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+
John Webb
post 17 Oct 2010, 18:03
Post #2

Regional Controller

Member No.: 144

In one word: "Yes".

Hornby/Peco 100/Bachmann are all compatible as far as their tracks are concerned. Peco, besides their 'Set-track' range which is identical in geometry to the other two, do a range of larger radius points which makes for more realistic track layouts and smoother running - but these need more space than the smaller radius tracks.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
John Webb

+
kristopher1805
post 17 Oct 2010, 19:21
Post #3

Regional Controller
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 8,315

As above such track is a basic standard across the globe but there are differences, so track from Joueff, Flieshmann etc will fit together (Marklin is something else although C is now similar HO scale.

You will see references to Code 100 this refers to the depth of the rail, code 75 is more realistic but all the basic tracks are code 100 as is Streamline. In truth OO should be wider guage and the real scale is EM so the track is HO at 1 in 87 and the stock is OO at 1 in 76.

Next in the UK Peco and Hornby are standards, Hornby use black plastic sleepers and Hornby brown, that said there are differences, the curved points are slightly different, Hornby do assymetric cross overs which make better junctions and they both do different small sections, a good number from both are vital - short pieces of track.

Now Peco also do streamline and here are the basics

Setrack etc. 22.5 degrees point angles, 67 mm between track centres and standard track length 167mm
Streamline 12 degree angle, 50 mm between track centres, standard point length 220mm

Two are compatible but you see the sharper angles require wider track spacing
German Flieschmann Profi track manages 63 mm spacing on tighter curves?

Now there are 4 UK standard radii but the points are R2 so whatever you plan build the R2 loop first

You will see plenty of debate on here about radii and it is generally understood that the tightest radii R1 are too tight for larger modern Bachmann locos but most Hornby are OK and some can surprise such as the 2-10-0 9F. this waltz's round in fine style.

Final item, I always suggest the new modeller goes out and buys the Peco setrack book, there is much in there that is excellent and it shows most of the possibilities, some good layout ideas and scenery layout too so it is worth it and saves money so you will be able to follow exactly what track/points are needed to get a railway into action.

Good Luck

+
rb277170
post 17 Oct 2010, 20:20
Post #4

Foreman

Member No.: 110

Yep Peco setrack and Hornby compatible. Just watch out for diamond crossings where Peco is universal while Hornby have left hand and right hand diamonds. The standard points are the same and easily interchangeable. Peco are marginally less expensive. I also find their half straights quite useful.

Going forward I've mixed some Peco Streamline (code 100) with the setrack . I've used this in marshalling yards as the larger radius point reduces derailments as wagons go through reverse curves

Russell

+
alastairq
post 17 Oct 2010, 20:27
Post #5

Regional Controller

Member No.: 1,423

Hornby track uses code 100 rail, as noted above.

Virtually any make of 'track' with rail at code 100 will mix with Hornby.

The only differences may lie with the 'thickness' of the sleeper webs, sleeper spacing and colour...and, of course, those makes of track with built-in ballast bases will be a problem..but not insurmountable [in my view, trackwork with inbuilt ballast bases is far superior, from a mechanical and appearance viewpoint....Much more able to withstand abuse..., but that's my view..]

Geometry is something else......a different ball-game.

+
windsor lad
post 20 Oct 2010, 22:16
Post #6

Fireman

Member No.: 6,551

To some extent the track height might make some difference to what your make of stock you will be running on it. Peco 100, setrack and Hornby track is tolerant of deeper flanged old stock but not code 75. You may also find the Hornby Flextrack R6080 has thicker sleeper track clips and you sometimes get a rumble as your stock passes over them.

jules

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 04:12