Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GWR 1400 Class 0-4-2T
ColSMR
post 26 Jan 2012, 16:20
Post #16

Guard

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,527

How about the coupling space between loco and trailer?
Because of where the coupling is fitted on both the Airfix and Hornby chassis, it sticks out a mile:
the loco
Likewise the Airfix auto trailer's coupling is not exactly neat:
the trailer
The result is a huge, most unrealistic gap between loco and trailer:
the gap

I've been trying to think of how to get the loco's coupling bar back in line with the buffers preferably non-destructively; it's not a NEM pocket. Whereas the coach does have an NEM fitting. But I've not sussed it yet. Any ideas?
Colin
Go to the top of the page

+
Brossard
post 26 Jan 2012, 18:52
Post #17

Station Master

Member No.: 1,958

Almost off topic but the Hornby 0-4-2T is on the list. One of our club members has been surveying his loco stock and has found that many Hornby locos that were legacy from the Airfix range (and others from the 1970s) have B2B of between 13.9 and 14.3mm. When questioned, Hornby confirmed this. The reason is that the old tooling is still being used so that the original narrow bodies (esp those with outside cylinders) is being maintained. If you try to widen the B2B, the valve gear will foul (also found by our member). This may not matter if you use Hornby track but it's worth being aware and could cause problems at flangeways on fine scale points. Hornby models with new chassis designs are coming in closer to the DOGA Intermediate standard, ie 14.4mm. Markits with their proprietary axle should be at 14.5mm B2B.

John

--------------------
John

+
naugytrax
post 26 Jan 2012, 20:14
Post #18

Fireman

Member No.: 1,822

However, there is no outside valve gear on the 1400 Class, and nothing on the body (including the steps) comes close to fouling the connecting rods at any setting of the back-to-back for 16.5 mm gauge. So there is no reason for this loco, at least, to be under-gauged. As I recall, the Dapol locos were set to 14.4mm B2B and when Hornby took them over they deliberately narrowed them to match Hornby track!

I replaced the Airfix couplings on mine with Kadee. I think I used no. 9 on the Autocoach bogie with a styrene packing piece. It was a bit of a fiddle, this being before the intoduction of the NEM362-compatible range (which you can bolt on even if you don't have a NEM362 pocket. BTW, the coupler pocket on my Airfix autocoach is a standard Airfix clip-in type, not NEM362). I was able to couple the loco and the coach a bit closer, but the real problem is that it's a longish coach with a lot of overhang between the bogie pivot and the outside of the buffers. If you couple them at a realistic distance, you will get buffer locking when you back over a reverse curve, such as the entry to a bay platform typical of where these autocoach services terminated.

--------------------
Humphrey

+
Moonraker
post 27 Jan 2012, 05:15
Post #19

Peter Lucas
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 7,139

The GWR 14XX and autotrain was always my favourite since I rode in them regularly as a kid, so I had to have one for my layout. However, it ran badly, kangaroo hopping over my insulfrog points (yes, big mistake on DCC but installed and ballasted 20 years ago when I didn't know better) and less than perfect track. So I adopted the solution of earlier posts in this thread. I connected the loco and coach together with a couple of fine wires, put DCC Concepts lighting pickups on all the coach axles and fed the loco decoder from a total of six axles. That fixed the problem and it has run smoothly ever since.

However, having now got power in the coach, I took it a step further and installed one of my MyLocoSound decoders and speakers in the front of the coach in the baggage compartment and connected it to LED lighting in the roof. You can view the result here. Every point in the video is an Insulfrog. Total cost of the conversion fifty quid.

DC analogue users can do the same thing with a MyLocoSound DC soundcard but with slightly less functions than in DCC. If any one wants more information then email me here.

Regards
Peter
MyLocoSound

+
ColSMR
post 27 Jan 2012, 18:07
Post #20

Guard

Member No.: 4,527

Just worked out why my pics did not show directly in my post above whereas before my pics have worked. It's because I used the 'insert link' button instead of 'insert image'.
The problem has ben discussed already but if anyone is still fretting to see them ...

+
PAPPA.B
post 27 Jan 2012, 22:24
Post #21

Passed Fireman
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 8,959

QUOTE (coramrail @ 1 Nov 2010, 04:37) *
A model of the GWR 1400 class loco was first introduced by Airfix. After they left the British RTR business it was picked up by Dapol, who improved the mechanism. Then it became a Hornby product. It's not currently in the Hornby catalog, but it's a popular item and it may well return. Meanwhile, there are plenty around on ebay. I'd stay away from the Airfix version since it had issues with the pickups. Here's a Hornby model:
http://cgi.ebay.com/HORNBY-R2095A-BR-0-4-2...=item19c0504148

Hi Guys They have been re-released i bought one last year in BR green and now are being advertised in GWR colours due 1st quarter so are the Auto coaches in crimson& cream and in GWR colours. Are these the same as the original Hornby versions or have they been updated? I have tried to messure the b2b but my ruler is not the best as with my eyesight the 0-4-2 has traction tyres and is a very noisy loco compared to some of my other tank engines. I like the look of this model but now wondering if it might be troublesome as i'm thinking of Peco code 75 or even C&L OO . I was considering buying a GWR version and coverting them to DCC coupling to there respective Auto coaches permantly.I will have to check this out before buying another one. Has anyone else bought a new one? Cheers Jim

+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2014 - 23:49