Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Triang X04 motor brushes or alternative motor
EdWills
post 13 Jan 2011, 02:36
Post #1

Ticket Collector

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,712

Noting the starting price of a pair of X04 brushes on e-bay and the final sum they reach, does anyone know of a Triang- Hornby parts supplier that carries these brushes as spare parts? I checked the latest East Kent Models spares catalogue, and they no longer supply the brushes separately (only with re-built exchange motors). Alternatively, can anyone recommend an up-to-date replacement motor for old Triang steam locomotives that will fit the space of the X04 and perhaps be a superior option? Thank you.
Go to the top of the page

+
34C
post 13 Jan 2011, 09:21
Post #2

In depth idiot

Member No.: 1,818

Some model shops have supplies. Here's my local, where I have noticed these 'rare creatures' in the spares rack on occasion.
http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/shops/108-K.Ss_World_of_Models
Very dangerous place to visit BTW, full of tempting goodies; books, materials, tools, kits, paint and other supplies, rtr models ...

An alternative motor to the XO4 is something of a problem. The 'better motors' once offered as direct replacements such as the Romford Bulldog and MW005 are long out of production. Of course the famous tendency for modellers to buy kits and never build them may mean that some are still kicking around unused. Then, years ago there was a rather more modern motor mounted in a plastic frame offered as a direct substitute, but I don't believe that option has been available for well over a decade now. There is plentiful choice in modern can motors with kit gearboxes to suit that could do the job, but this also entails replacing the driven wheelsets and bushing the chassis block to take the current standard diameter axles. The spend on this method rapidly exceeds what an all new current standard replacement model would cost.

+
hoonsou
post 13 Jan 2011, 09:59
Post #3

Chief cook & bottle washer
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 280

Abbegails might be worth a try.

--------------------
Cheers, Peter.

+
butler-henderson
post 13 Jan 2011, 18:48
Post #4

Engine Driver

Member No.: 3,211

QUOTE (34C @ 13 Jan 2011, 09:21) *
Then, years ago there was a rather more modern motor mounted in a plastic frame offered as a direct substitute, but I don't believe that option has been available for well over a decade now.

South Eastern Finecast make such a motor mount

+
bob hughes60
post 13 Jan 2011, 19:32
Post #5

Guard

Member No.: 8,732

Just done this myself.
I highly recommend this guy to repair/refurb motors/remagnetise motors.
He also refurbs brushes cheaper than I can buy the things on ebay etc.
Now have a stock of motors and brushes for my ageing triang/hormby stock.
Email ian@redgatemodels.co.uk or website http://www.redgatemodels.co.uk/
In some 0-6-0s I also replaced original magnet with rare earth magnets and I think the slow running improves.
On the other hand could be just subjective and clean track.

+
83A Models
post 13 Jan 2011, 20:27
Post #6

Fireman

Member No.: 8,943

Just seen this may be of intrest to you and X03/X04 7 pole replacement.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-7-POLE-OPEN-FRAM...=item43a48166bd

Hope this helps.

--------------------
Maybach Music At It's Best

Mike & Helen

+
Crantock
post 14 Jan 2011, 13:35
Post #7

Baggage Porter

Member No.: 9,209

As we all know, the brushes comprise two parts - a copper/bronze metal strip and the brush carbon. The latter is soldered to the metal strip which is used to give spring.

There will be two failure modes - lost and worn.

for worn - is it possible to purchase and shape the carbon separately? And what is it - graphite?

For lost I would have thought it was well within capability to create a replacement brass, bronze or whatever metal element?

+
34C
post 14 Jan 2011, 13:43
Post #8

In depth idiot

Member No.: 1,818

It is graphite, and quite readily obtained, I salvage mine from old mains motors in clapped out equipment. Shaping can be difficult, and you must not leave any abrasive in the contact face. Something of a last resort for me, wouldn't bother if a spare can be purchased as getting the solder to wet the graphite is often hit and miss too.

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd August 2014 - 08:33