> Airfix Class 31, Improved running
jeffr
post 21 Mar 2011, 17:16
Post #1

Fireman

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,056

Hi.

I have an Airfix Class 31 diesel which in the main runs very well.

However, the pick up is from metal wheels on one bogie which pick up power to drive the plastic wheels on the other.

It will not negotiate Insulfrog diamond crossings without stuttering or even stopping entirely.

The answer would be livefrogs but of course Peco won't produce them in code 100 rail.

Has anyone improved the running of this locomotive please and if so how?

Thanks,

Jeff
Go to the top of the page

+
Big Dave
post 21 Mar 2011, 18:56
Post #2

Company Chairman
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 5,486

Hi Jeff peco do make live frog in code 100

--------------------

Dave

This planet needs a lot more kids that think taking a lawnmower's engine apart is more fun than playing video games.

+
Capt Jango
post 21 Mar 2011, 19:28
Post #3

Station Master
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,591

QUOTE (Big Dave @ 21 Mar 2011, 18:56) *
Hi Jeff peco do make live frog in code 100

Dave , they make Live-frog points but not diamond crossings or double slips in code 100 , I have similar problems with some tender drive locos , caused by the short wheelbase of the pic-ups on the tender ,
Jeff I have cured this by changing the drive mechanism , sorry I have no idea how you could achieve this with a diesel - replace one of the plastic wheel sets with one the same as the front pick up bogie and fit an additional pick up to the drive bogie ? (Not Familiar with Airfic Diesels ) It would/could cure the pick up problem but it may reduce the locos pulling power as Airfix rely on the tyres on the relatively small wheels for "grunt"

Graham

+
34C
post 21 Mar 2011, 19:47
Post #4

In depth idiot

Member No.: 1,818

The wheels from the pick up bogie can be exchanged onto the geared axles of the drive bogie. I made one bimotor chassis out of two s/h Airfix 31s and this both pulled well and made a noise to wake the dead. Very easy to rig pick ups once the drive bogie has metal wheels; put small self tapping screws in the underside of the bogie baseplate, and attach nickel silver wire wipers.

+
jeffr
post 21 Mar 2011, 19:59
Post #5

Fireman

Many thanks for your responses.

I am reluctant to take the engine apart for fear I will ruin its performance, as frustrating as it is.

Do you know please, whether there is a service sheet for the loco along with an exploded diagram so I can check what I shall be letting myself in for.

I have modified a Triang class 31 to all wheel pick up and that has improved its performance no end.

Please let me know about the service sheets.

Thanks,

Jeff

+
dwb
post 21 Mar 2011, 20:20
Post #6

Station cat
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 507

You could use the code 75 electrofrog crossing it you put a piece of 25 thou card under it to make up the difference between the 100 thou code 100 rail and the 75 thou code 75. If you really want to use rail joiners, then the code 75/100 rail joiners will do the trick but they can be difficult to track down. As the crossing is electrofrog you will not really need a rail joined connection to the adjacent track. Gluing the crossing in place with Copydex under every fourth sleeper and no rail joiners would be my solution.

I had (still have somewhere) a couple of Airfix 31s. Getting the body off was simple enough but the bogie frame is an all in one wrap around plastic box with lugs that needs an octopus to release all the clips at once??

David

--------------------
Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 900+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.

+
34C
post 21 Mar 2011, 20:53
Post #7

In depth idiot

Member No.: 1,818

The closest you will get to a service sheet online might be this. http://www.airfixrailways.co.uk/Motors.htm

+
K9-70
post 21 Mar 2011, 22:14
Post #8

Engine Driver
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,912

QUOTE (jeffr @ 21 Mar 2011, 19:59) *
Many thanks for your responses.

I am reluctant to take the engine apart for fear I will ruin its performance, as frustrating as it is.

Do you know please, whether there is a service sheet for the loco along with an exploded diagram so I can check what I shall be letting myself in for.

I have modified a Triang class 31 to all wheel pick up and that has improved its performance no end.

Please let me know about the service sheets.

Thanks,

Jeff

Airfix never released Service sheets similar to the Hornby Service sheets for their model locomotives.
Instead, they supplied a Maintenance Instruction sheet in the box along with each locomotive sold.

HTH's

K9-70

+
Titan
post 21 Mar 2011, 22:41
Post #9

Engine Driver

Member No.: 9,173

I have an Airfix 31 and I am likely to come across this problem as I have insulfrog diamond crossings! I am in a steady program of adding extra pick ups to my other locos - doing the simple ones first, even just changing from 4 wheel pick up to 6 wheel pick up makes quite a difference. But I have not looked at the 31 yet - I presume it is just 4 wheel pick up as standard?

I have given it a service though, and to get to all of the bearings I wanted to lube I had to remove the bogie frame, and after many attempts and some cursing I came up with a relatively easy method:

You release each 'inner' clip one at a time, but you have to put something between it and the bogie frame to stop it snapping back. I actually used some old rail joiners as they were handy. With each of the four inner clips held off in this way, you can then ease out one of the end clips, and the frame can then be removed. In this case reassembly is not quite the same as removal - you can just snap it back on!

The Mainline Peak is a bit of a challenge - all those wheels and only 4 pick up!! If I am really determined it could end up being 14 wheel pick up!!! laugh.gif

+
grobyray
post 22 Mar 2011, 00:54
Post #10

mr

Member No.: 7,378

you can of course use electrofrog at finescale (code 75) WITH SPECIAL CONNECTORS which adjust to same height. Might work for you. The connectors are a bit fiddly with narrow
two size joins and narrow copper strips.

grobyray

+
jeffr
post 22 Mar 2011, 13:45
Post #11

Fireman

Hi.

Now for a "what if" question on insulfrog diamond crossings.

As you will know the crossing comprise 2 outer rails, as well as the other smaller rails.

These long outer rails are for +ve and the common return.

They are seperated along their length by a formed piece of plastic creating an insulating gap about 12mm long.

Instead of these being exactly opposite one another; what if the insulated pieces were moved along the rails so that they didn't isolate 2 wheels at the same when they ride over them. ( I hope this is making sense?)

Would forum members please comment on whether, if I form a small piece of n/s rail in place of the plastic piece and electrically join it to the longer rails and then create an isolation gap further along the outer rails but not opposite each other whether this will work and stop the dreaded dead spot?

Or am I having a totally breakdown tongue.gif Derrrrrrr

Regards,

Jeff

+
butler-henderson
post 22 Mar 2011, 17:07
Post #12

Engine Driver

Member No.: 3,211

Airfix did produce service sheets - they were freely supplied from the service dept on request although I never saw one for the Castle - they sent the sheet for the Rebuilt Scot saying the parts were similar !!

+
Titan
post 22 Mar 2011, 17:45
Post #13

Engine Driver

Member No.: 9,173

I wonder about the accuracy of these sheets sometimes - does the above show that you should be lubricating the non-existant axle of the dummy wheels also?

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 21:36