> Traverser
Admin
post 23 Aug 2005, 10:16
Post #1

Baggage Porter
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1

On many British layouts - especially those that are back and forth module like - we see a traverser, usually in the fiddle yard that enables the operator to move a loco or rolling stock from one line to another.

I have not seen and traversers that have been incorporated into the model itself. Is this because British outline doesn't use them?

On the continent, they are found everywhere and make a great feature to model.

The railway yard at Creteil, South-East of Paris

And detail of the traverser

A Pont Transbordeur at Romilly-sur-Seine. This is one of 3 or 4 traversers at the yard

To find more info on this, look through Google. The English call it a Traverser or Transfer table. The French call it a Pont Transbordeur. The Germans call it a Schiebebühne.

Märklin has one in HO/OO and Z, with 2 approach tracks and 8 stall tracks, that you can add to your layout. It can be hooked up to a DCC point decoder and the associated button can move the bridge forwards or backwards. It stops automatically at each stall track.

You could build one from scratch with a stepper motor. Perhaps use the bits from an old scanner or CD-ROM drive.

I'm keen to play around with one of these and will do a little further research into the pros and cons of making one as opposed to buying the Märklin model.
Go to the top of the page

+
John Webb
post 23 Aug 2005, 12:39
Post #2

Regional Controller

Group: Members
Member No.: 144

According to the 'Oxford Companion to British Railway History' traversers fell out of favour in the UK partly because coaches and other railway vehicles kept getting longer and exceeding the length of existing traversers. According to the same source there were two in use at Birmingham Moor Street station until 1967.

There is one in public view at the Crich Tramways museum in Derbyshire; this was added a few years ago to improve the movement of trams from their shed roads to the access to the main running tracks. I believe one or two traversers may have also been preserved at the former Swindon loco works, though I havn't been there myself to see.

Traversers do seem to be more popular 'behind the scenes' than 'out front' on British layouts.

+
oliver prin
post 19 Sep 2005, 14:04
Post #3

Baggage Porter

Member No.: 198

I saw a excellent transverser at the Colchester show one year made by the MERG group using a scanner stepper motor I am sure they can supply details also Red Dog sell the transverser hardware

+
Doug
post 19 Sep 2005, 14:09
Post #4

DT

Member No.: 2

Hi, thanks for the info. What/where is Red Dog?

--------------------

+
oliver prin
post 20 Sep 2005, 12:47
Post #5

Baggage Porter

Member No.: 198

Red Dog ,9 Harcourt,Bradwell,Milton Keynes,MK13 9EN send for illustrated catalogue they sell baseboard parts dowels,bolts,catches,transverser parts etc by mail order advertise in Railway Modeller

+
Doug
post 3 Jul 2006, 14:58
Post #6

DT

Member No.: 2

Look what I found on eBay.

A stunning transfer table, but at a rather hefty price of € 2.329.

Click here for the article.

I'm thinking of scratch building one of these - to a design similar to this.

--------------------

+
Colombo
post 3 Jul 2006, 16:49
Post #7

Passed Fireman

Member No.: 259

Doug,

We used to have Traversers in our Carriage works in the UK. I have seen the one at Derby as recently as about 1992, and I shall try and find out if it is still there.

Colombo

+
dwb
post 3 Jul 2006, 17:07
Post #8

Station cat
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 507

Tyseley MPD had a traverser at one time. This link has more history: Tyseley MPD
David

--------------------
New blog entry - 18th March 2014- Hamburg Miniature Wonderland - Part 10 - The USA The last set of photos taken on a visit to the "World's largest model railway"
Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 850+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.

+
Dennis David
post 3 Jul 2006, 17:39
Post #9

Station Master

Member No.: 106

If they made one in N-Scale I'd have one of those on my layout. lmfao.gif

--------------------

+
Brian Considine
post 3 Jul 2006, 20:26
Post #10

No Longer Active.
Group Icon

Member No.: 702

QUOTE (Dennis David @ 3 Jul 2006, 18:39) *
If they made one in N-Scale I'd have one of those on my layout. lmfao.gif

Brawa used to/still do one in HO - maybe they did in "N" ?

best regards
Brian

+
Dennis David
post 3 Jul 2006, 23:11
Post #11

Station Master

Member No.: 106

I've checked. There's none listed.

--------------------

+
FUNGUS
post 14 Aug 2008, 22:23
Post #12

Sporting a face of Fungal Fuzz
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 3,440

they used traversers at the carriage works in wolverton bucks.
These can still be seen if you use google earth and fly to wolverton mk. then zoom in on the carriage works.

I intend to model a streth of the mainline and the works. to include the now missing wooden station building that was built on the road bridge above the track, the sheds where the royal train was/is stored and the canal.
PS although I had a train set as a kid this will be my first serious attempt at a proper model railway, including kit bashing and scratch building!!!

--------------------
Steve

St Laurent en Ardennes

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. In the first stage of life the mind is frivolous and easily distracted, it misses progress by failing in consecutiveness and persistence. This is the condition of children and barbarians, in which instinct has learned nothing from experience." George Santayana.

Can't wait for the weekend. I mean, come on, after Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F!

+
FUNGUS
post 14 Aug 2008, 22:32
Post #13

Sporting a face of Fungal Fuzz
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 3,440

if any one knows of the product code for the traverser in HO id apprciate it!

--------------------
Steve

St Laurent en Ardennes

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. In the first stage of life the mind is frivolous and easily distracted, it misses progress by failing in consecutiveness and persistence. This is the condition of children and barbarians, in which instinct has learned nothing from experience." George Santayana.

Can't wait for the weekend. I mean, come on, after Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F!

+
Lancashire Fusil...
post 15 Aug 2008, 01:14
Post #14

Paul Hamilton aka "Lancashire Fusilier"

Member No.: 609

Given me a great idea to have an automated track selecting traverser, even if it is off stage so to speak. Thanks!

+
john woodall
post 15 Aug 2008, 02:07
Post #15

Station Master

Member No.: 2,436

They still use one at the Hutt Railway workshps in Wellington New Zealand.

I am pretty sure that they use one at one of the loco sheds on the Gotthard in Switzerland.

The Marklin one is noce and works well, except it can be a bit noisy. That being said it isn't cheap, but it does work, so you need to weigh up how much itwould cost to buy the bits to make one, then how much time you are willing to spend building it and getting it running vs buying one that works from out the box.

I have a friend who is building one in 1:32!

Cheers

John

+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 07:22