Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Top HO train Manufacturers
Which manufacturer is the most top rated and popular in production of HO model trains?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 52
Guests cannot vote 
popcornplaya
post 17 Jul 2011, 12:33
Post #1

Ticket Collector

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,761

I am curently doing a research about the top model train manufacturers in HO, and thought it would be a good idea to create such poll, plus it might give a lot of other modelers the idea of what people think of different companies.

I picked the most well known (in my opinion) manufacturers of HO model trains, and want to know your opinion. Choose your options based on your opinion of the company's model variety, popularity and quality. So, I am looking forward to seeing what you think! You can choose multiple answers, but please try to stick to 3 choices at the most, if you can of course.
Go to the top of the page

+
Hunslet
post 17 Jul 2011, 14:18
Post #2

Fireman

Member No.: 1,405

My "other"vote is for Broadway Ltd" who in my experience make very good and generally reliable products although their deliveries have become extended recently.
Colin

+
popcornplaya
post 17 Jul 2011, 16:11
Post #3

Ticket Collector

sorry I forgot to add that choice, I did hear of them and actually their product quality seems nice! but lets keep the votes comming, and those who chose 'other' please state what did you mean by that, if it is not too difficult, cause by 'other' we could mean countless of things!

I personally voted for Roco, since I am very familiar with their products and even think they could even beat Marklin (I was choosing between Marklin and Roco), though those have very similar products and quality.

+
neil_s_wood
post 17 Jul 2011, 22:09
Post #4

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 570

Last time we did this it was German HO and Roco won. It would be interesting to see who wins this time around. My other vote was for Brawa. Trix are quite popular too.

cheers

Neil

--------------------

+
Scordicus
post 18 Jul 2011, 00:12
Post #5

Fireman

Member No.: 9,237

Other is Walthers.. But Kato & Stewart are supposed to be good as well..

This poll really does depend on what continent you model.. Obviously if members that model European railways outweigh those that model American railroads, the poll will reflect the views of those modellers & therefore the likes of Roco & Fleischmann are going to vastly outweigh the likes of Atlas & Athearn..

--------------------
It's all in the details!

+
popcornplaya
post 18 Jul 2011, 09:52
Post #6

Ticket Collector

Well yeah, I was certain that this topic was around here somewhere, since it is a popular one to do, but things can change, so I suppose it wasn't such a bad idea, plus it would really help me with my research smile.gif

Oh yes, it does matter what continent or country you try to model, in Europe it gets tricky because a lot of countries are connected while they have different tracks. In North America I would imagine you would have variations between Canada, USA, MExico and may be in the USA you might find different looks depending on the state which it belongs to.

+
post 18 Jul 2011, 15:15
Post #7

Chief mouser
Group Icon

Member No.: 706

Like Neil, Iwould also have to recommend Brawa.

Regards

--------------------
Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever
A Penguin is for life - not just elevenses
Dave Saffery
Haine Road
Nether Sennett

+
ME 26-06
post 18 Jul 2011, 17:06
Post #8

103 driver

Member No.: 1,656

I'm afraid I'll be boring you, bur my favorite HO brand starts with the letter "H"... clap.gif

--------------------
Fais-moi rêver comédien, chante, danse, baladin
Dans la ronde folle entraîne-moi,
donne-moi l'amour et la joie!

+
neil_s_wood
post 18 Jul 2011, 22:45
Post #9

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 570

...ag?

cheers

Neil

--------------------

+
Milllsy
post 23 Jul 2011, 04:00
Post #10

Guard

Member No.: 10,317

Hi, it depends if price is no object or not. My favourite is Roco. But, if price were no object there are alternative Euro suppliers that produce some amazing stuff.

+
andrew
post 29 Jul 2011, 01:31
Post #11

Fireman

Member No.: 820

I'll put in an "other" vote for Rapido Trains. They are still relatively small, but seem to have found a strong niche with good quality models of interesting prototypes that appear to be selling well. I've only seen them at shows, but have been impressed by them. The niche market is a mysterious thing, but these people seem to have got it right. It helps that the company is run by friendly people who give the impression that they enjoy meeting their customers.

andrew

--------------------
Gnome Miniature Engineering

+
Brian Considine
post 29 Jul 2011, 07:57
Post #12

No Longer Active.
Group Icon

Member No.: 702

The problem with this type of poll is that the results can be distorted when, for example US models are mixed with European models - I would not vote for US models simply because I don't model US - a US modeller may have the same view, albeit the other way round.

Likewise, the smaller manufactures don't get a look in - as regards the European scene Heris (& it's "derivatives/made for smaller distributors") are right up there with the best of Roco, but they are relatively small.

Conversely, I have some Rivarrossi CIWL coaches & some freight stock (from the current Hornby International Range) that again, are up there with the b3st.

+
Tunnel Vision
post 1 Aug 2011, 09:32
Post #13

Ticket Collector

Member No.: 7,163

I don't think any of the big manufacturers necessarily make the best at all. I think that would be the preserve of the smaller companies who only make small runs but of much higher quality. These rarely get a look in as the price is invariably higher too. I thought the likes of Marklin and Trix were good until I saw the NMJ stuff up close. It's a whole universe away in quality (and price!)

+
GoingUnderground
post 1 Aug 2011, 13:19
Post #14

Foreman

Member No.: 3,458

BEMO gets my vote, but they are very expensive, especially if you end up buying models in the ir "Matal Connection" range.

I don't kniow enough about the others to comment.

--------------------
Regards,

Keith.

The only good locomotive or multiple unit has_collector_shoes, or pantographs, or both.

+
ozwarrior
post 2 Aug 2011, 06:47
Post #15

Passed Fireman

Member No.: 11

If it's of any use to you the German site Keystone division produced sales for the top four in Europe (2009) as follows:

1. Marklin €110.00
2. Hornby €69.5
3. Roco €32.3
4. Fleischmann €18.2

It is difficult comparing companies as some are purely railway while others have different strings to their bows. Also some are one gauge specific while others are multi-gauged. Interesting nevertheless.
As an aside they also published German scale preferences:

2006 2004
HO 73.7 68.6
N 18.8 23.8
2 8.7 11.0
Z 8.0 9.8
TT 7.3 7.2
1 7.6 6.1
0 4.7 2.6
Other1.0 0.6

They are strong in gauged that in the English speaking world are rare. The decrease in N gauge is interesting as is the size of gauge 2.
Regards.

--------------------
"The things that unite us are greater than those that divide us". - John Howard (former Australian PM)

+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd October 2014 - 06:23