Reply to this topicStart new topic
> XTrackCAD
alftrain
post 30 Nov 2011, 11:29
Post #1

Ticket Collector

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,474

I am using XTrackCAD to design my track.

Not quite sure how to explain this but here goes-

The Layout is 15M wide and when i add turn outs in this plane (horizontal) every thing stays perfectly level.

The problem is the other way, in the vetical plane which is 5M mad.gif wink.gif

If i run the normal track everything matches the grid, however, when i add turn outs the track goes skew to the left and right respectively depending on left or right turn outs.

I am sure this must just be a setting, but i can not find it.

I have tried it with Atlas code 100 and Pecko track.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

AlfTrain

smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+
LTSR
post 30 Nov 2011, 13:39
Post #2

Passed Fireman
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 6,049

Iíve never used Xtrack so Iím going to be of little help but I do think youíll need to post some details of the platform that you are using, as it might be some sort of hardware/program conflict and the experts will need that information.

It is my inclination to suspect a bug in the program, 15 metres x 5 metres is quite large, maybe itís that causing it to throw a ďhissy fitĒ?

Why not download the freeware SCARM program and try your plan on that? If it behaves then at least itíll be some sort of indication that itís not you doing something dumb!

Iím fortunate; I have a full-blown professional CAD program on my PC that does everything I could possibly need. In my lighter moments when tinkering with model stuff I can go right down to the finest of detail if I need to. I have also tried the SCARM program and was impressed by it particularly with its 3D rendering option.

+
alftrain
post 30 Nov 2011, 14:24
Post #3

Ticket Collector

QUOTE (LTSR @ 30 Nov 2011, 15:39) *
Iíve never used Xtrack so Iím going to be of little help but I do think youíll need to post some details of the platform that you are using, as it might be some sort of hardware/program conflict and the experts will need that information.

It is my inclination to suspect a bug in the program, 15 metres x 5 metres is quite large, maybe itís that causing it to throw a ďhissy fitĒ?

Why not download the freeware SCARM program and try your plan on that? If it behaves then at least itíll be some sort of indication that itís not you doing something dumb!

Iím fortunate; I have a full-blown professional CAD program on my PC that does everything I could possibly need. In my lighter moments when tinkering with model stuff I can go right down to the finest of detail if I need to. I have also tried the SCARM program and was impressed by it particularly with its 3D rendering option.

Thanks my friend,

I will try the program

smile.gif Alf

+
Makemineadouble
post 30 Nov 2011, 18:52
Post #4

Regional Controller

Member No.: 203

try/options/sticky and untick it

+
BVM
post 1 Dec 2011, 16:04
Post #5

Fireman

Member No.: 2,109

If you look at the HELP file for HELIX this may explain what is happening.

+
alftrain
post 5 Dec 2011, 10:02
Post #6

Ticket Collector

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 30 Nov 2011, 20:52) *
try/options/sticky and untick it

QUOTE (BVM @ 1 Dec 2011, 18:04) *
If you look at the HELP file for HELIX this may explain what is happening.

I have tried both but i still get the same results

Thanks for your help, but i have know given up on XtackCAD

I have tried Scram and it is so user friendly

Many thank again,

Alf

+
alftrain
post 5 Dec 2011, 10:27
Post #7

Ticket Collector

QUOTE (LTSR @ 30 Nov 2011, 15:39) *

Thanks my Friend,

I have tried about 5 different programs and Scram has prooven to be the best for me, very user freindly. I even got all the levels right.

As to the joining over 5M, it does not go out, just had a little trouble joining the tracks, but that is not serious, i just want a look and the Three D is great.

Many thanks again

A ve
very happy ALF

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

+
Brian Gorman
post 7 Dec 2011, 21:27
Post #8

Baggage Porter

Member No.: 11,591

Hi There
I have had the same problem with xtrack cad...........it`s not a fault [size="3"][/size]of the program but of the user.
What I mean is that it usually happens when trying to join two pieces of track......right?????????......if the two are not correctly aligned it will skew one or the other off at an angle.
To overcome this I zoom in as much as possible on the selected joint and align by eye as close as possible ........and then use the program to connect the pieces.........hope this helps.........Cheers Brian

+
Makemineadouble
post 8 Dec 2011, 07:38
Post #9

Regional Controller

Member No.: 203

yes you can do that, sometimes when the gap between two tracks is larger, I draw a filler length that floats unconnected, and then use Xtrck to join then using the join command to both ends.
The more you use it the easier it becomes. I dont thing it's any easier then most programes but with perseverence you can get a really decent drawing with very dependable diamentions.
best of all its free, and works very well on Win 7 64 bit.
cool.gif cool.gif

+
alftrain
post 9 Dec 2011, 08:42
Post #10

Ticket Collector

QUOTE (Brian Gorman @ 7 Dec 2011, 23:27) *
Hi There
I have had the same problem with xtrack cad...........it`s not a fault [size="3"][/size]of the program but of the user.
What I mean is that it usually happens when trying to join two pieces of track......right?????????......if the two are not correctly aligned it will skew one or the other off at an angle.
To overcome this I zoom in as much as possible on the selected joint and align by eye as close as possible ........and then use the program to connect the pieces.........hope this helps.........Cheers Brian

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 8 Dec 2011, 09:38) *
yes you can do that, sometimes when the gap between two tracks is larger, I draw a filler length that floats unconnected, and then use Xtrck to join then using the join command to both ends.
The more you use it the easier it becomes. I dont thing it's any easier then most programes but with perseverence you can get a really decent drawing with very dependable diamentions.
best of all its free, and works very well on Win 7 64 bit.
cool.gif cool.gif

Most Valuable advise, thank you kind Sirs!

I have been playing for a few days since your posts and yes, its me.

When i zoom in the track joins perfectly.

I think i was too much in a hurry.

Scarm also goes out as does XTrackCAD.

Thanks my Friends, this is such a helpful forum.

I must get to making a Siggy and and Avatar.

Keep well

Alf

+
Jools M
post 17 Jan 2012, 13:58
Post #11

Passed Fireman

Member No.: 11,818

I downloaded XtrakCAD and tried it out, I'm using Hornby set-track so first had to find a parameter file for that (easier said than done, the only one I could find was listed as Hornby HO). Once loaded I tried playing, firstly I couldn't work out how to actually lay the track let alone join it, next once I had laid some couldn't work out how to deleted it again, apart from ctrl+Z. After 15 mins of trying gave up and tried searching here for some help.
Installed SCARM and after trying it for 15 seconds found it very user friendly and simple to use, so will be using that and un-installing Xtrack

--------------------
Jools

If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs - then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation

+
Ken WSRfan
post 17 Jan 2012, 14:11
Post #12

Dazed and confused

Member No.: 11,538

I spent an evening messing about with SCARM, didn't manage to get one bit of track on there. I tried Xtrack the other night, did manage to get a circle on the board but couldn't move it.

When I get a spare evening I will have another go at it, otherwise it will be back to pen and paper for me.

+
Jools M
post 17 Jan 2012, 14:54
Post #13

Passed Fireman

Member No.: 11,818

QUOTE (Ken WSRfan @ 17 Jan 2012, 17:11) *
I spent an evening messing about with SCARM, didn't manage to get one bit of track on there. I tried Xtrack the other night, did manage to get a circle on the board but couldn't move it.

When I get a spare evening I will have another go at it, otherwise it will be back to pen and paper for me.

Strange I found it really easy to use, just done this in about 20 mins. Not bad considering it's the first time I've used it.

--------------------
Jools

If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs - then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation

+
Titan
post 17 Jan 2012, 15:14
Post #14

Engine Driver

Member No.: 9,173

I found XtrackCAD reasonable to use. What is important is to do the tutorial first, which I found very helpful and explains everything. Sounds like a lot of the issues here are due to people just diving in and then wondering why they don't understand whats happening.

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 20:14