Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Changing CV values on a DCC controller, Can anyone tell me how?
Billy Shears
post 6 Dec 2011, 23:04
Post #1

Guard

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,529

I want to change the volume of a DCC sound train. I am told it's CV 63. But DCC is quite new to me and I cannot work out how to change the CV values. I have a basic Hornby Select controller. Anybody know what buttons to press?!
Go to the top of the page

+
stevecamden
post 7 Dec 2011, 10:32
Post #2

Baggage Porter

Member No.: 10,725

You can't change CV's with the select only the Hornby Elite.

+
Alfaz-di-pi
post 7 Dec 2011, 16:40
Post #3

Footplate Inspector

Member No.: 9,515

I am afraid that Steve is correct. I have the Elite and that will read and change the CV's of the decoders that allow it. For instance the 8249 decoder of Hornby will not let you change the cv's. perhaps you could take your loco to a club and ask someone to change it for you.

Albert.

+
ChrisWV10
post 7 Dec 2011, 17:49
Post #4

Guard

Member No.: 7,083

While the select does allow you to change some CVs - address, default direction, accel/decel rate; CV63 is not one of those.

It would seem to me then, you have 3 options...

Find someone/club/friendly shop who can do it for you

Buy/ask santa for another DCC controller which allows full programming (A whole new topic! but see below...)

put up with it (and wear ear defenders biggrin.gif )

In no order of preference ( honest!) the following can program (write) all CVs. If you're changing CVs from the default, it's then useful to be able to read them back again from the decoder unless you're meticulous about writing down all the changes you make.....

These will all work out the box and have CV read & write (+/- various other features) and cost less than 200...ish

NCE Powercab ~140
Digitraxx Zephyr ~160
Hornby Elite ~160
Prodigy Advance2 ~ 200

These can write CVs so you can change your volume setting but they cannot read them back

Bachmann Dynamis ~90 (probox add on is available for 100+ which will give you CV read back)

Prodigy express ~140 (prodigy advance handset needed to give CV readback ~110)

I make no recommendations other than providing approx prices A trawl through the DCC topics and you'll see what common issues arise and which are recommended handsets. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions based on what features you'd like in a controller. cool.gif

HTH

C.

+
butler-henderson
post 7 Dec 2011, 21:36
Post #5

Engine Driver

Member No.: 3,211

A cheaper alternative to a another DCC system to is buy a SPROG (50) and program the CVs using Decoder Pro (free) on your computer. Has the added advantage for testing a newly installed decoder before inflicting it with full voltage/current DCC so any faults due to shorts will show up before the decoder goes up in smoke.

+
skoda12rar
post 7 Dec 2011, 22:53
Post #6

Fireman

Member No.: 4,890

to be honest the probox is a waist of time for the money but the dymanius id a brillant piece of kit i ues it on my layout and no problems

+
Alfaz-di-pi
post 7 Dec 2011, 23:55
Post #7

Footplate Inspector

Hi Chris, I have an Elite and it can read back the CV's as I have done it a few times. I will admit that initially I could not, but returned it to Hornby and they did "something"and when it came back I was able to read them.

Albert.

+
ChrisWV10
post 8 Dec 2011, 09:21
Post #8

Guard

Forgot about a Sprog. I've used Decoder Pro with an Elite and found it quite easy to use. Certainly as a freebie it's a slick piece of software for CV programming.

You can download it here... http://jmri.sourceforge.net

C. smile.gif

+
railstimulator
post 8 Dec 2011, 10:40
Post #9

Foreman

Member No.: 2,903

Note that prodigy2 can READ CVs. It has the following modes

Programme on PROG TRACK

Programme on MAIN TRACK

READ this is done on the PROG TRACK only, can't be done the main.

+
ChrisWV10
post 8 Dec 2011, 11:50
Post #10

Guard

QUOTE (Alfaz-di-pi @ 7 Dec 2011, 23:55) *
Hi Chris, I have an Elite and it can read back the CV's as I have done it a few times. I will admit that initially I could not, but returned it to Hornby and they did "something"and when it came back I was able to read them.

Albert.

I don't think I said it can't ... question.gif

QUOTE (railstimulator @ 8 Dec 2011, 10:40) *
Note that prodigy2 can READ CVs. It has the following modes

Programme on PROG TRACK

Programme on MAIN TRACK

READ this is done on the PROG TRACK only, can't be done the main.

Ditto ... question.gif

Perhaps I didn't make it clear.....

These 4 will all work out the box and all have CV read & write (+/- various other features) and cost less than 200...ish

1. NCE Powercab ~140
  2. Digitraxx Zephyr ~160
  3. Hornby Elite ~160
  4. Prodigy Advance2 ~ 200

============================================================================

These 2 can write CVs so you can change your volume setting but they cannot read them back

1. Bachmann Dynamis ~90 (probox add on is available for 100+ which will give you CV read back)
  2. Prodigy express ~140 (prodigy advance handset needed to give CV readback ~110)

HTH

C. thumbsup.gif

+
railstimulator
post 8 Dec 2011, 12:48
Post #11

Foreman

Member No.: 2,903

Sorry about that but the first read gives the impression that the items above the statement as pasted here:

These can write CVs so you can change your volume setting but they cannot read them back

refers to the list above it. All clear now.

+
Alfaz-di-pi
post 8 Dec 2011, 16:55
Post #12

Footplate Inspector

My apologies Chris, I read your comments with the wrong set. You did say that they read and write.

Regards
Albert.

+
ChrisWV10
post 9 Dec 2011, 07:59
Post #13

Guard

No worries, guys. If it it's open to different interpretation, then it isn't clear to everyone what I was trying to say

C. smile.gif

+
Billy Shears
post 10 Dec 2011, 22:57
Post #14

Guard

Member No.: 11,529

OK-If my main objective is to be able to change volume on decoders, and I'm choosing between a Dynamis and a Hornby Elite which one wins? Is the Dynamis wireless? If so do I need any other products to use it?

+
ChrisWV10
post 11 Dec 2011, 12:54
Post #15

Guard

The short answer is neither! huh.gif

Both have pros and cons. It's entirely up to you what your priorities would be regarding use/cost but essentially both will allow you to alter the volume on sound equipped locos. It's the other features that you need to weigh up .... And do beware that even if you think you don't want CV read at the moment, you probably will do later on when you start wanting to tweak decoders more.

Dynamis - ~90, can write (program) all CVs, easy functions and each one can be set to latch or trigger (stay on or or only on as long as you hold the function button) for each individual loco, wireless handset (infra red control) cannot read CVs without the probox add on, no computer interface

Elite - ~150 can read and write all CVs, functions aren't as easy to use (need to press function then key the function no), has computer interface and supports Hornby railmaster software if you're looking at computer control, console not handset tho' you could use your select as an additional controller with a connecting RJ12 lead ~5 v4 firmware is supposed to make functions easier to use but no word when it will be available.

tbh, if you're thinking of getting an elite, unless you particularly want to use railmaster or use your select as an additional controller, there are better options - NCE powercab, Prodigy advance/express, digitrax zephyr, digitrax super chief

If cost is your prority, you can do all CV programming (read and write) with a sprog 2 interface on your PC. ~50 http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk/

If you can get to a good dealer, try some out - digitrains or dcc supplies. In any case, their websites are worth a look to see features/prices. Also check manufacturers websites and have a look at the manuals and expansion/accessories

digitraxx

gaugemaster for prodigy advance

nce powercab

HTH

C. smile.gif

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th November 2014 - 20:28