> hornby rolling road help!
db ice 3
post 25 Dec 2011, 23:02
Post #1

Passed Fireman

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,421

iv got a hornby r8203 rolling road.

today is 1st time iv "played" with it. i put a lima class 37 on it, with the power bogie sitting on the rollers and the non-powered bogie on the rails and it ran very sweetly after it warmed up - its been sitting in its box for 10 years lol.

anyways, then i go to put a hornby r387 4-4-0 loco on it with smoke generator and its completely dead except a puff of smoke comes form the loco chimney.

i also hav an r376 an i put that on the rolling road and that was also dead apart from a whiff of smoke from the chimney. i thought that its unlikely that 2 locos have developed faults since i put them into storage.

i then put r 316, class 47, lady diana spencer on the rolling road and that too was dead!.

thinking something is wrong with the rolling road i applied the power leads directly to the motor terminals and all 3 locos worked ( very noisey screeching though - whats causing this screeching? - its accompanied by a slowing of the mechanism too ).

so iv discovered that the rollers dont conduct power on this rolling road.

the lima model ran because the non- powered bogie collects power from both rails, but the hornby models only collect power from one rail on eaach bogie - causing the non running!!!.

is this how the rolling roads are? - i would hav thought that the rollers need to carry power too as not so many locos - especially older hornby models collect energy from just one set of wheels!.

anyone else use the rolling roads? - any advice about using them?
Go to the top of the page

+
Rhiwderin_Ray
post 25 Dec 2011, 23:12
Post #2

Regional Controller

Member No.: 11,355

Can't help with the rolling road problem. Try Google because there is a known problem with it.

The screeching noise is the dry bearings in the motor (Usually tender drive). A tiny drop of oil is required on the motor bearing (On a tender drive this is the opposite side to the metal centre cog).

Regards and seasons greetings.
Ray

--------------------
Regards
Ray

See some of my builds at "Ray's Building Site" http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...showtopic=20857 at "On My Workbench" section of this forum.

My new layout BELMONT
http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...showtopic=21976

"Knowledge is of no value unless shared with others"

+
Brossard
post 26 Dec 2011, 04:03
Post #3

Station Master

Member No.: 1,958

Something I found too, DB, and wrote about it in the "other" forum. Power to the rollers is, IMHO, somewhat hit or miss due to the design. You're better off with a design that collects power direct from the track. I have the Bachrus but I think Richard at DCC Concepts also does one.

John

--------------------
John

+
paftrain
post 26 Dec 2011, 04:13
Post #4

Ticket Collector

Member No.: 164

I think you have bought the wrong rolling road - I've got R 8211 and it works fine . Your one is designed for live steam and doesn't give power to the rollers. Regards, Paul.

+
Richard Johnson
post 26 Dec 2011, 06:09
Post #5

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 703

*** Yes, we do - it was rated "best" score wise in the recent comparisons of rolling roads done by Model Rail magazine - the second time its done well in magazine comparison tests

regards

Richard

QUOTE (Brossard @ 26 Dec 2011, 12:03) *
Something I found too, DB, and wrote about it in the "other" forum. Power to the rollers is, IMHO, somewhat hit or miss due to the design. You're better off with a design that collects power direct from the track. I have the Bachrus but I think Richard at DCC Concepts also does one.

John

--------------------

Direct honest advice from DCC & Modelling experts
Ph +61 8 9437 2470 or
sales@dccconcepts.com

+
Bilbo
post 26 Dec 2011, 09:26
Post #6

Passed Fireman

Member No.: 32

I looked at the reviews of them all and then went for the DCC concepts one. It is so simple in its concept(sorry!) but it really is well engineered and works brilliantly.

--------------------
Chris Morgan

+
Coboman
post 26 Dec 2011, 14:27
Post #7

Engine Driver

Member No.: 6,953

QUOTE (paftrain @ 26 Dec 2011, 04:13) *
I think you have bought the wrong rolling road - I've got R 8211 and it works fine . Your one is designed for live steam and doesn't give power to the rollers. Regards, Paul.

If thats the only difference, it should be reasonably easy to power up the rollers. If they are cheap, I might invest......

+
Rhiwderin_Ray
post 26 Dec 2011, 15:38
Post #8

Regional Controller

Member No.: 11,355

Bit late now for you, but for other members - Rolling Rails also do one for 55.

Regards
Ray

--------------------
Regards
Ray

See some of my builds at "Ray's Building Site" http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...showtopic=20857 at "On My Workbench" section of this forum.

My new layout BELMONT
http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...showtopic=21976

"Knowledge is of no value unless shared with others"

+
Brossard
post 26 Dec 2011, 15:51
Post #9

Station Master

Member No.: 1,958

I missed the significance of the R number in the OP. My comments above were directed at the rolling road allegedly designed for electrically powered models. My conclusions came about after noticing how a steam loco model would run only fitfully. After inspection and some testing I realised that only one or, at most, 2 sets of rollers were getting power.

John

--------------------
John

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2014 - 16:08