Model Railway Forum banner

Ray's Building Site

39K views 133 replies 30 participants last post by  Capt Jango 
#1 ·
In order to pass the time during the winter months, I have been busying myself making things for my new layout.
I will use this post to show these to anyone who may be interested - hoping I can manage to upload the pics!

Regards
Ray

#3 ·
Sorry my Laptop has decided to do an update that is killing everything!

Regards
Ray

#4 ·
RETAINING WALLS

I downloaded two different Scalescenes kits. One is for a curved tunnel section and the other is for the front of the layout.

CURVED SECTION

STRAIGHT SECTION ABOUT 4ft long with another section to go!

Both mounted on Art Mounting Board. Some weathering still to do.

Regards
Ray

#6 ·
TURNTABLE

A modified PECO OO Turntable using bits of plastikard, card, balsa and a cut elastic hairband for the hose!

Embossed Plastikard around the well.

General View

Control Platform

Control Platform (Rear view)

Regards
Ray

#8 ·
MODIFIED Superquick ASH PLANT

I added some Scalescenes corrugated sheeting and some painted card concrete beams plus made the skip and rails from Plastikard. Not prototypically accurate but better than the original kit I think !

GENERAL VIEW

DETAIL OF SKIP AND RAILS

Regards
Ray

#9 ·
BOILER HOUSE (Scalescenes again!!!)

Just a straighforward unmodified build.

FRONT

REAR

PROBABLE LOACTION BY ENGINE SHED

Regards
Ray

#10 ·
2 ROAD DOUBLE LENGTH ENGINE SHED

Sufficient for 4 locos. (Scalescenes again - Sorry!)

Extra weathering with a wash of watercolour on the roofs and pastel pencils on inside lower wall.

NORMAL VIEW

UNSEEN SIDE

TOP VIEW

Regards
Ray

#11 ·
LNWR GANTRY TYPE SIGNAL BOX

This is a basic Scalescenes chooped about a bit with Brassmasters windows. The Gantry is made up from a couple of Ratio Signal Gantrys and some plastic girder.

Not finished - still to add a ladder and the handrails and paint it.

BRICK BASE REMOVED

REAR CHIMNEY BASE REMOVED

INTERIOR DETAIL ADDED (Airfix figure and card levers)

BLOCK INSTRUMENTS ADDED (Plastikard)

FRONT VIEW

SIDE VIEW

More to follow eventually! I am also about to start a LNWR Tall Double box.

Regards
Ray

#12 ·
QUOTE (spurno @ 22 Jan 2012, 17:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi Ray
posts must have crossed.looks good.might be useful for what i've got in mind.raised branchline station with mainlines underneath with similar walling.

Hi Spurno
The walls are fairly easy to build and the kits are cheaper than buying ready made, especially if you have a fair length to build.

Regards
Ray

#14 ·
QUOTE (spurno @ 22 Jan 2012, 18:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>thanks Ray
i forgot to mention,i'm modelling in n guage and if i remember you're doing oo.are they available in n guage?

Yes they are, so no problem for you.

regards
Ray

#15 ·
ASH / INSPECTION PITS

These are free dowload kits from Scalescenes. Very easy to build. The rail sleepers are simply cut away in the middle and glued (I used impact adhesive).

You can put in a couple of lighting strips but I am just going to put one led light on one end of each pit.

I will build another one as an ash pit (suitably weathered).

GENERAL VIEW

CLOSE VIEW OF END

Regards
Ray

#16 ·
RATIO GANTRY CRANE

Straightforward build of the kit. I am going to use this as a loco hoist outside the engine shed.

VIEW 1

VIEW 2

Regards
Ray

#19 ·
QUOTE (10001 @ 22 Jan 2012, 20:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well done Ray .Some very good use of the scalescene kits. I'm looking forward to your build of the tall double LNWR signal box.
Regards

The key to modifying any kit is to try a mockup in light card first (old cereal packets). I will be making a start this week on the signal box.

I am also going to make a footbridge with two passenger lift towers as at Bangor (North Wales) station but I can't do that until I know the exact position it will be on the layout so I know what angle to make the ramps.

Another model in the pipeline is the old Prototype kit LNWR station which Reddo kindly supplied me.

Stay Tuned !!!!

Regards
Ray

#21 ·
DETAIL for Superquick ASH PLANT MODIFICATION

Having obtained a Superquick Ash Plant card kit and commencing to build it, I quickly realised that the instructions and diagrams were somewhat ambiguous, so I have started this post with the intention of helping others who may be struggling or wish to "improve" the kit to make it a little less 2 dimensional.

The first problem I had was with the tabs. Some have to be folded back and glued while others initially just require folding back. Unfortunately I glued back several that I shouldn't have! So I suggest you only glue flaps back when expressly told to do so in the instructions. DO NOT glue back the flaps that will later form the legs!

The little square formers for the legs are not accurately shaped and care should be taken to trim them to size so that the leg channel does not bulge or the card formers do not sit higher than the U shaped channel.

The legs are also a bit weak looking so I inserted some pieces of square balsa into the spaces between the leg formers.

The recommended method of attaching windows is to use Sellotape - I strongly recommend using glue (impact adhesive) as the Sellotape will weaken in a couple of years and your window will detach.

The instructions for constructing the funnel are not really clear but I have worked out that the triangular flaps fold upwards into the funnel, i.e. are not seen in normal viewing. I guess the diamond cover strip covers these but again couldn't work out!

The actual concrete structure is a bit "flat" looking, so I will add thin cardboard strips to the main outline to give it some depth. Have measured these and some are 6mm while others appear to be 8mm wide!

I was also not really impressed by the standard corrugated structure, so I decided to improve the appearance by cutting appropriate pieces of Scalescenes rusty corrugated sheet. This is cheaply downloaded from their website and printed out. I used Copydex to glue this over the existing corrugated pieces.
The results are shown here. Hopefully somewhat better!

On this subject, looking at pictures of prototypes, I haven't seen one with the brick building or corrugated structure! I guess they could be cut off but that would mean more work with the winding hut.

Another drawback of the kit is that it doesn't include the skip that is hoisted up the rails. I intend to build one from Plasticard.

The kit has card for making the rails but I don't like these and have ordered 4mm H section Plastruct to build new rails. So I will have to add another post when these arrive.

2)
Next step was to cut some 6mm and 8mm strips of cereal packet. These were painted mid grey (a shade too dark I think, so will have to lighten).
The strips were cut to shape and glued on top of the printed outline strips on the concrete structure.
I also scored the horizontal concrete courses on the main structure.

More to follow...
Regards
Ray

#22 ·
DETAIL for Superquick ASH PLANT MODIFICATION (2)

I noticed that there are no railings provided for around the winch hut, even though there are dimples for them. Health & Safety would have a fit! So that will be another job, will make some up with fuse wire or thin paper clips.

I also looked at the model of the Coaling Stage by Bachmann. Doesn't look that great close up, so I will perservere with modifying!

3)
Have finished adding all the card strips - what a job but they do make quite a difference! Also got some cement coloured paint (Revell Aqua matt Stone) that I will dab on the strips with a small sponge.

I bent and glued two plastruct girders to rough size and shape using the Superquick card rails as a rough guide. I cannot bent the girders in a curve at the top but I don't think this is correct anway looking at photos elsewhere. I will add a curved rail from plasticard later. Also brackets to be constructed later. Exact dimensions will depend on the size of the skip.

For the skip, I measured out dimensions on a card template and cut out. The pieces were glued with copydex to ensure it looked right. I will then dismantle and copy onto thick plastikard.

Next step to transfer card shapes to plasticard.

TO BE CONTINUED.....

Regards
Ray

#23 ·
DETAIL for Superquick ASH PLANT MODIFICATION (3)

(4)

I transferred my card templates to plasticard and added some "wheels" and a handle/sled.

Steps
1. Assemble card as per card templates
2. Add "Handle" (2 girders shaved to U shape plus two strips of card).
3. Add strengthening ribs made of strips of plasticard along edges of skip top side.
4. Add 4 "wheels" made of plastic sprue offcuts. Arranged so they fit within profile of girder rails on main structure. The "handle" is positioned so that it will slide along the top/outer edges of the main structure guide rails.
5. Paint with dark base coat followed by lighter grey wash of "ash"
6. Cut out pulley wheel from plasticand using a paper hole punch. (to be fitted once all dry)

TO BE CONTINUED.....

Regards
Ray

#24 ·
DETAIL for Superquick ASH PLANT MODIFICATION (4)

1. I added a hoist on the top platform. Made from scrap girder and some plastic card, painted.

2. Added the painted pulley wheel to the skip/bucket using a pin. (Cut pin using track cutters to get a close fit.

3. Made up a partition around the pit where the skip/bucket would go in reality. Used a flat bottom painted black to portray the pit.

Next steps - rail brackets !
TO BE CONTINUED....

Regards
Ray

#25 ·
DETAIL for Superquick ASH PLANT MODIFICATION (5)

Almost there !

1. Made up two brackets from Plastruct girder

2. Glue to rails

3. Added some curved "rails" from plasticard where the skip would unload.

4. Glued rails and skip in position.

5. Glued pulley "cable" in position - made from waxed thread. Glue start at winch house, wrap and glue around pulley, glue end back at winch house.

Next and final step - Handrails for top platform.
TO BE CONTINUED....

Regards
Ray

#26 ·
DETAIL for Superquick ASH PLANT MODIFICATION (6)

Final steps.

1. I straightened out some thin paperclips (4) and bent them to size. Also cut some uprights (8)to size.

2. Soldered together the handrails (With much cursing as I am terrible at soldering!)
3. Sprayed the rails with grey car primer.
4. Glued handrails in position on top platform

5. The completed model! Hopefully better than the original kit!

If I were to do it again (which I won't!) I would do away with the corrugated structure as it is not prototypical. This would mean totally building the rear face but it would make a much better model.

OK. Onwards and upwards. Study day today then make a start on the tall LNWR Signal Box.

Happy Modelling!
Regards
Ray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.