> Which is the best slow running loco?
Gary
post 13 Feb 2007, 10:13
Post #1

Regional Controller
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 3

Chatting with somebody the other day who kit builds locos they mentioned that they had constructed a small tank loco which had 3 flywheels fitted and a 1:120 reduction ratio gearbox which allowed the loco to crawl 3ft in 15 minutes. There was an issue with having all those flywheels as to actually get the motor spinning meant applying a lot of power initially and then quickly cutting back on the power. This accelerated the loco pretty quickly and it took a few seconds to slow down again to a crawl as a result of the momentum of the flywheels. So maybe it was not that prototypical in terms of start up but once going it was a very smooth loco with a lot of inertia.

From a proprietory point of view the latest super detailed Class 08's have very good slow running qualities and make ideal shunter locos as the chassis is long enough and has been designed with enough compensation not to stall on standard points. They cannot match the performance described above in terms of 3ft in 15 minutes. This is a scale 0.17mph. However they do pretty well and can fool the eye into believing they are stationary when they are not!

For small shunting layouts good slow speed running is essential.

So what do you consider to be your best slow runner and do you have any tips to improve slow running capability? question.gif

Are the Class 08's actually the class leaders for slow running? question.gif

Happy modelling
Gary
Go to the top of the page

+
pedromorgan
post 13 Feb 2007, 10:26
Post #2

Company Chairman
Group Icon

Member No.: 163

there is really no reason to put 3 flywheels on a 120:1 gearbox for exactly the reason he found.
Either have a small motor spinning fast with a single flywheel, or if you have space then go for a much larger motor without flywheel. (or a small flywheel if you really want to) the armature of the motor actually acts as a flywheel. many of the larger motors on RTR stock dont really need the flywheels but could you emagine the reaction if bachmann made a mech without a flywheel?!

My problem has never been the slow runnig but fitting it all in the space available. even my beyer garrett is very restricted. only my most recent loco (the W1 hush hush) has space to really go to town on the mechanism.

Peter

--------------------

+
adecoaches26poin...
post 13 Feb 2007, 12:29
Post #3

Engine Driver
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,457

I have a small robot industrial shunter made by Brawa in HO,it has a very heavy metal construction with flywheel and rubber band drive.
My layout is 6meters X 2.5 meters oval shape,this model took just over the hour to make a curcuit and I think with very clean track it could perform even better.

Very happy modeller

David

--------------------
Knowledge not shared is lost forever
My layout foto's at http://www.disrubahn.piczo.com

+
pedromorgan
post 13 Feb 2007, 12:35
Post #4

Company Chairman
Group Icon

Member No.: 163

i have a burnt out J72 that runs very slowly indeed. infact it dosent even move any more!

Peter

--------------------

+
John Webb
post 13 Feb 2007, 12:42
Post #5

Regional Controller

Group: Members
Member No.: 144

"infact it dosent even move any more!"
Bit like the story of the two clocks - one looses a minute a day, one is stopped - yet the latter shows the time correctly twice a day.
Regards,
John Webb

+
Ravenser
post 13 Feb 2007, 12:45
Post #6

Footplate Inspector

Member No.: 871

The new Bachmann 108 has extremely good slow running capabilities out of the box - ahead of the new motor bogie Hornby have fitted to ex Lima DMUs , which is itself good , though lacking power for heavy haulage

I've seen some impressively slow speed creeping from some Bachmann 37s fitted for DCC (Lenz Gold)

+
alastairq
post 13 Feb 2007, 20:35
Post #7

Regional Controller

Member No.: 1,423

For many years the US diesel roadswitchers from various makers topped the league for slow...RELIABLE..running....it has taken the UK scene a long time to catch up????

However, I am far from biased and I have one candidate...pre- Hornby 08, that is.....that makes an ideal shunter, and would be my recommendation for anybody thinking of starting the kids into model railways...and that is...the Hornby J94 Austerity tank.

I/we have several...I have an 8-year old son, whose model train criteria is, first and foremost, it must RUN, whatever!

This the Austerities do, without failure.

True, the quality control of the mechanisms is a bit.......hit 'n miss, but by annoying the model shop owner, and getting them to test-run each item fist, then choosing the one without the limp, is a good method.

The Hornby item has [to me] essential criteria for reliable running.....no traction tyres!

It has a fairly short , coupled wheelbase, which is long enough to not stall on dead frogs...(see, no wet leaves for us !!!]

plus, so many of them can be found today on Preservation lines, they are readily identifiable...not simply extinct relics of the past!

So, I propose the Austerity tank from Hornby!

+
Ozzie21
post 13 Feb 2007, 21:20
Post #8

Station Master

Member No.: 565

I've fitted flywheels to only two of my kit built locos, the Lickey Banker and a std4 2-6-0,the Duke didn't have the space for one. None of my NSW steam loco kits are fitted with flywheels but they use NWSL gear boxes instead of the open frame Romford type.

Ozzie21

+
Tonyperks
post 16 Feb 2007, 17:11
Post #9

Guard

Member No.: 1,509

i have to say that my early issue bachman 08 is a very slow runner but you do have to keep the wheels and pickups spot less, i also have an hornby 56 that runs well at low speeds.

+
post 16 Feb 2007, 17:41
Post #10

Chief mouser
Group Icon

Member No.: 706

QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 13 Feb 2007, 12:35) *
i have a burnt out J72 that runs very slowly indeed. infact it dosent even move any more!

Peter

I've got a Playcraft class 22/29 like that!

Regards

John

--------------------
Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever
A Penguin is for life - not just elevenses
Dave Saffery
Haine Road
Nether Sennett

+
Ravenser
post 16 Feb 2007, 18:02
Post #11

Footplate Inspector

Member No.: 871

For many years the US diesel roadswitchers from various makers topped the league for slow...RELIABLE..running....it has taken the UK scene a long time to catch up????

I'd be quite interested in some direct factual comparitives head to head
of current generation OO against some decent middle of the road HO locos - both the US diesels and Continental HO.

How does say a Heljan OO diesel or the Bachmann 66 or Hornby 60 or 08 or the new 108 compare with the HO competition?

Certainly , until recently , US HO diesels were in a different league from any OO RTR. I don't know the exact position for Continental since the people putting the boot into UK RTR tended to be into the US diesel scene, but the understanding was that they too were vastly superior.

There's been a huge step change in the mechanisms in British RTR since the late 90s. But I don't know whether the gap has closed completely..

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 15:34