Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The downside of buying a sound-equipped loco.
Robert Stokes
post 26 Jun 2012, 06:18
Post #1

Station Master
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 1,541

To my mind, the downside of buying a sound-equipped loco, is that all of the others seem somehow lacking or faulty. This means that you have to spend lots of cash having sound fitted into the others or replacing them with sound-equipped versions and then selling the redundant ones. I certainly won't buy another non sound-equipped loco.

To date I have changed three of my eight 00 scale locos to sound-equipped so I have some way to go. The hardest is probably going to be the Jinty, buy I know that it can be done because there was one for sale on Ebay not long ago. Unfortunately the price went higher than I was prepared to pay.

Do you agree?

Robert

--------------------
My layout "Horton-cum-Whinton" is 1950's midland region with Settle and Carlisle flavour.
http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...8&hl=Horton
Go to the top of the page

+
David Todd
post 26 Jun 2012, 06:41
Post #2

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,373

Morning Robert.......... biggrin.gif
To date I have changed three of my eight 00 scale locos to sound-equipped so I have some way to go.

Are you fitting a dc one to dcc or straight decoder plug in on a "dcc ready".

--------------------
........dt........

Link below,is to my layout, Dover Priory and Town Yard.Kent Uk
http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...showtopic=20477

]Click this link and watch my Naff Video Company,clips,of my layout
http://www.youtube.com/user/ferriesdover/videos

+
Robert Stokes
post 26 Jun 2012, 07:11
Post #3

Station Master
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,541

I'm taking the easy route of buying locos already sound-equipped. I have the Bachmann Jubilee and the Hornby weathered Black 5 as sold over-the-counter. The other one is a Royal Scot class bought from a dealer which had been sound-equipped by the previous owner.

Robert

--------------------
My layout "Horton-cum-Whinton" is 1950's midland region with Settle and Carlisle flavour.
http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...8&hl=Horton

+
SRman
post 26 Jun 2012, 08:37
Post #4

Station Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,453

I agree with you, Robert. Once you start running sound locos, they add that extra dimension to operations and mean that most of the non-sound ones get relegated to the sidings and stock drawers (or boxes). I am now up to over 30 sound-equipped locomotives and units. Adding up the cost, though, will give the insurance companies nightmares ... not to mention any significant others in your life!!

+
gdaysydney
post 26 Jun 2012, 10:53
Post #5

Fireman

Member No.: 1,781

I know what you mean.

I now have "sound only" running sessions where I only run sound fitted locos. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Dave
(British outline - 00, DCC- Sound and computer control - RR&Co software - NCE PowerPro and signaling using Loconet USB )

+
Guest_jim s-w_*
post 26 Jun 2012, 12:39
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE (Robert Stokes @ 26 Jun 2012, 07:18) *
To my mind, the downside of buying a sound-equipped loco, is that all of the others seem somehow lacking or faulty.
Do you agree?

Robert

It's true Robert. Problem is after a while you will start to feel the same about the actual trains too. This leads to the realisation that sound equipped locos only are not enough and draw your attention to something you don't notice otherwise thus detracting from the realism overall.

Sound is a lot like go carts - brilliant at first but you soon grow out of it

Cheers

Jim

+
Brossard
post 26 Jun 2012, 12:53
Post #7

Station Master

Member No.: 1,958

Got to agree with Robert, once you start down the road to sound equipped, your non sound locos seem to be lacking. I did put a sound decoder in my Bachmann Jinty - the speaker went into the cab and I managed to get the decoder in the body - it was probably a Loksound Mini (from Olivia's Trains (who will do the install)). The details escape me now. The downside of that is that I can't put a crew in the cab.

Early factory equipped sound locos got bad reviews if I remember correctly - the first Deltic comes to mind. However, the latest Bachmann Cl 20 did have good sound and is also good value. I also have the Hornby Black 5 and it is superb. A pice of advcie - make the tender coupling permanent otherwise you will stress the wiring harness and it will break - how do I know?

This shows a brass ring cut from tube that I superglued to the drawhook.

Sound does add a new dimension but, as Jim says, it tends to wear off. Certainly having a load of locos burbling, rumbling, hissing, puffing and tooting can get tiresome after a while.

John

--------------------
John

+
frame69
post 26 Jun 2012, 14:43
Post #8

Company Chairman

Member No.: 4,745

I do still run non-sound locos depending on which it is. 101 DMU can get away without sound (for the moment) I have not had enough time to play with them yet but one mainline is connected iust one more to do.

Frame.

--------------------
Have a nice day......Andy.

+
SRman
post 27 Jun 2012, 12:00
Post #9

Station Master

Too many sound engines running at once can be rather overwhelming. I tend to run only one, maybe two at the most, at once, with the rest of the trains being silent (or relatively so!).

Frame, I have a Bachmann class 108 with Howes' sound and that needs a good long run to get the best effect but it really does sound good with a bass reflex speaker installed.

+
frame69
post 27 Jun 2012, 13:28
Post #10

Company Chairman

QUOTE (SRman @ 27 Jun 2012, 13:00) *
Frame, I have a Bachmann class 108 with Howes' sound and that needs a good long run to get the best effect but it really does sound good with a bass reflex speaker installed.

Oh dear. I shall be sending mine off soon then. biggrin.gif I've watched a few youtube videos of the real ones and wernt too keen but I'll have to get it done.

Frame.

--------------------

+
SRman
post 28 Jun 2012, 08:21
Post #11

Station Master

Here is the 108 with Howes sounds on my old layout. See what you think.

+
Graham Plowman
post 3 Jul 2012, 10:22
Post #12

Station Master

Member No.: 869

And here are the LegoManBiffo DMU's:

Class 121

Class 117

Scroll to the bottom of the pages for videos.

The 117 is particularly good with the 'classic bus engine hum'.

--------------------
Graham Plowman
(British outline 00 - NCE PH PRO-R, Lenz 100 - DCC Sound and computer controlled signalling/interlocking with SSI software)

+
hoonsou
post 3 Jul 2012, 23:32
Post #13

Chief cook & bottle washer
Group Icon

Member No.: 280

Aftyer seeing Paul Chetters (PaulieBangers) excellent article on putting sound into a 00 guage 03 and hearing and seeing it, I may well be (with finance dept permission) starting down that route myself. I will probably have to compromise by selling some Loco's which probably won't be easy down under, but here's hoping.

--------------------
Cheers, Peter.

+
Grifter_Guru
post 4 Jul 2012, 02:14
Post #14

Station Master

Member No.: 5,003

Funny, I'm just going down this route myself with a 3F and Princess Royal Class loco.

Will have to see what happens...........

--------------------
Instructions ? WHAT?!?!?! A man don't need instructions! Oh............wait a minute...........................What's this bit for?
Exemplar quo vides & exemplar veri
Memorylane: The Website
Memory Lane: Continuing My Fathers Work
ViTrains: Class 37 "How-To"

+
frame69
post 4 Jul 2012, 09:39
Post #15

Company Chairman

I shall go with it but unsure as to whether I get mine fitted or buy one allready done. Thanks for the videos chaps.

Frame.

--------------------

+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 16:00