Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 9F Evening Star models
MikeDunn
post 28 Jul 2012, 18:50
Post #1

Station Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,921

Some time ago, there were various discussions here about the new offerings for 2012 from Hornby, and the Hornby 40th Anniversary Evening Star was subject to one of them.

I've not had a chance to see this particular model before, but I was in Hereford Models earlier today & they kindly let me examine one vs the Hornby Legends version, and also discussed it with me vs the Railroad version (my thanks to the staff & owner for an interesting chat).

So - what did I think ?

Well first of all, let us consider the pricing. The Railroad Evening Star retails at 75, the Legends Evening Star at 99, and the 40th Anniversary Evening Star at 120 (RRP of course, actual prices can be found less than this at all decent suppliers). So you would expect the Legends to be better than Railroad and the 40th Anniversary to be the best of them, purely based from price point.

On examination, I was hard-pressed to see what the difference is between the 40th Anniversay version and the Legends version !!! They are both limited editions, I think of 1000 each, so that is no help. They are both DCC Ready (8 pin), so no help there either. Both have etched name-plates as extras. The only thing that I think may be different is the motor; the 40th Anniversary has a 5-pole motor, and I can't say what the Legends version has ... Detail-wise, they seem identical. So unless you really want one with this 5-pole motor, it's a no-brainer - don't get the 40th Anniversary version !!

Onto the discussion vs Railroad. HM had previously checked to see what the differences were, and like me were hard-pressed ... With the exception of the limited edition and the motor, they couldn't see any difference !!

So it appears that Hornby have released exactly the same model in three different boxes at three different prices. Way to go !!! (Please note, yes, I am being sarcastic). I see no reason at all to spend 24 or 44 more than the Railroad version for very little back. This is extremely disappointing, as in the discission I referred to earlier, I was defending Hornby & saying that I couldn't believe they were charging so much more for a different box. Well - I was wrong, and I apologise !!! I still can't believe they are screwing the community, but what other alternative is there ?

That leaves me in a dilemma, however. I still want an Evening Star ! So I am now considering the Bachmann version. This seems to have better detailing than the Hornby version(s), and also seems to be a better runner. Again, there appears to be several versions (one in a wooden case, and one in the usual cardboard sleeve) - can anyone comment on either of these versions ? It may be that they are exactly the same as well, just differing boxing; I don't know.

Mike
Go to the top of the page

+
Grifter_Guru
post 28 Jul 2012, 19:19
Post #2

Mischief Mongers Founding Member
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 5,003

Personally, owning a standard version (or two) and an Evening star version of the Bachmann varient, there is no discernible difference in the two excepting the colour difference, nor is there a discernible difference between the "presentation box" or "cardboard sleeve" versions, well, not that I can see.

I prefer the Bachmann version over that of Hornby as it has far better detail, is far better powered, has superior valve gear and motion, a better body and generally, is a much superior offering..

--------------------
Instructions ? WHAT?!?!?! A man don't need instructions! Oh............wait a minute...........................What's this bit for?
Exemplar quo vides & exemplar veri
Memorylane: The Website
Memory Lane: Continuing My Fathers Work
Signalling Memory Lane - The Detailed discussion Topic Q&A + Going Loopy with points
ViTrains: Class 37 "How-To"

+
34C
post 28 Jul 2012, 21:51
Post #3

In depth idiot

Member No.: 1,818

The power of marketing, eh? Strip away all the anniversary, limited, special, certifiable, commemorative, fancy cigar box hoohah, and look at the basics of each 9F model.

Hornby, very dated tooling of the body with several inbuilt inaccuracies (some readily recitifiable others more difficult) decent mechanism and running, majorly lacking in chassis detail.

Bachmann, relatively new tooling to a good standard, decent mechanism and running with excellent traction thanks to being properly weighted, carrying most of the detail practical in an OO RTR production which really shows on such an exposed chassis.

The Hornby is good value at half whatever retail price the Bach model commands would be my judgement, both considered only as a model. (Having once fitted brake gear to a kit built 9F you discover what a crowded chassis it is, such that I almost reckon the Bach to be worth the asking price for this aspect alone.)

+
Brossard
post 28 Jul 2012, 22:01
Post #4

Station Master

Member No.: 1,958

The thing that annoys me about Hornby is that it always seems to be buyer beware. You have to be very careful of what you are getting. I think I would vote for Bachmann only because they are consistent (especially now that the split chassis locos have been purged). Their 9F is excellent, although I can't speak for the Hornby version.

John

--------------------
John

+
Grifter_Guru
post 29 Jul 2012, 00:16
Post #5

Mischief Mongers Founding Member
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 5,003

I can speak for the Hornby version!

Detail differences aside, the difference in weight in comparison to the Bachmann product, the performance does lack a bit to what you would expect. HOWEVER, the motor is smooth for what it actually is.

As to hauling capacity, Bachmann wins hands down, every time.

I'll have to get some comparison photographs sorted out.

--------------------
Instructions ? WHAT?!?!?! A man don't need instructions! Oh............wait a minute...........................What's this bit for?
Exemplar quo vides & exemplar veri
Memorylane: The Website
Memory Lane: Continuing My Fathers Work
Signalling Memory Lane - The Detailed discussion Topic Q&A + Going Loopy with points
ViTrains: Class 37 "How-To"

+
Rhiwderin_Ray
post 29 Jul 2012, 16:05
Post #6

Regional Controller

Member No.: 11,355

Well I am so sorry that I read this thread as I have just gone online and bought a weathered (Hornby) 9f. It looks superb too even if I say so myself!

--------------------
Regards
Ray

See some of my builds at "Ray's Building Site" http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...showtopic=20857 at "On My Workbench" section of this forum.

My new layout BELMONT
http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...showtopic=21976

"Knowledge is of no value unless shared with others"

+
MikeDunn
post 29 Jul 2012, 16:32
Post #7

Station Master

Member No.: 8,921

Cheers guys ...

Looks like I will have to get a Bachmann version ... Will be able to do a direct comparison against my (older) Hornby 9F too cool.gif

Mike

+
Guy Clark
post 30 Oct 2012, 23:20
Post #8

Fireman

Member No.: 729

QUOTE (MikeDunn @ 29 Jul 2012, 16:32) *
Cheers guys ...

Looks like I will have to get a Bachmann version ... Will be able to do a direct comparison against my (older) Hornby 9F too cool.gif

Mike

I just hope you haven't got a whole load of Hornby 9f's as once you get a Bachmann one you will want to replace them all.

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd December 2014 - 01:37