Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Rail Forum News Section

New posts in this News Section will get accepted by the system, but will not appear to visible in the forum immediatly. The posts are queued for moderation. A moderator has to see the story first and then either approves it or deletes it. Once approved, it goes up on the forum and is visible to all.

If a post is not suitable for this News section, but is still interesting, it will get approved and moved right away to another more appropriate section.

If you post images in this News Section, please make sure that the first image at the top of the post (that is visible on the Forum front page) is no greater than 500 pixels wide. Any images that mess up the layout of the front page will be deleted.

Note: Model Rail Forum Administration retain full editorial control over the content published here and will edit or remove material if we deem it appropriate to do so as it is displayed on the Front Page of the Forum and is automatically linked to by other Internet sites.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> MRF Focus on Modelling - Painting & Weathering Competition.
Doug
post 1 Oct 2012, 09:26
Post #1

DT

Group: Members
Member No.: 2

Many members want to have a go at painting and weathering but are less than confident - or do not want to damage a favourite loco by practicing on it!

The answer is to practice and gain confidence before you touch a model of course - but how?

There is one resource that is overlooked when it comes to "Practice"... and that’s the domestic recycling bin! There are lots of items in there that can be airbrushed, weathered and generally bashed about to give us the "Zero risk" practice we'd all like.

Think about it – broken appliances, drink cans, vacuum form packaging… all has interesting shapes and on occasion, there are things with modelling possibilities too. And… some of them are tricky technique wise too. In fact… if you can paint the round surface and detailed/ridged end of a coke or soft drink can - you can paint a model!

So... to encourage ALL MRF MEMBERS to "Have a go", provide some light relief and see what an "open brief" and a little creativity can create, I am pleased to invite ALL members to have some fun and participate in a simple competition with prizes of real value.

"PAINT AND WEATHER A DRINK CAN OR TWO…OR THREE".

The Prizes:

Winners Prize:

5 different complete DCCconcepts weathering kits... The full selection valued at £75 / $A100 - PLUS a £100 Gaugemaster Gift voucher / $150DCCconcepts Gift voucher. Total prize value is £175 / $A250! - see images below

3x Runners up Prizes of:

2x Complete DCCconcepts weathering kits, prize value approximately £30/$A40 per prize - see images below

IF Necessary, rather than have to split hairs or play Solomon about knife edge results, if two exceptional entries were both of really high standard and neck and neck for first place… the judges are authorised to offer a SECOND “Full set of 5 DCCconcepts Weathering Kits” to the “Narrowly second place entry”- another £75/$A100 in prizes

The Rules:

(1) Empty cans only smile.gif (Minimum 1, max 3 in the entry) - see image below if you are unsure as to what this is.
(2) Modify the can(s) by all means… add wheels if you like smile.gif … as long as they are still identifiable as cans if we look hard.
(3) Any methods are fair game as long as YOU do the work.
(4) Any standard drink can(s) is/are the basis of the work.
(5) Please… no Photoshop effects or image enhancements on entries.
(6) Rivets will be appreciated for their creativity but not counted under any circumstances… this is a FUN competition smile.gif
(7) Paint scheme is to be “railway oriented” and may well include a “livery” of any period if you fancy it… or even one that “might have been”. Brushing, airbrushing… all acceptable

Entries are to be submitted as a series of photographs, with not less than 3 "in progress" relating to painting and weathering …plus as many "finished photos" you wish to present to show the results.
Completed entries are to be emailed to admin@modelrailforum.com

Please resize images to meet with MRF standards – that is, not larger than 900 pixels wide. Entries are to be accompanied by a list of the main tools and materials used.

In addition, we’d really like to see a commentary on the tricks and techniques that you used. Spell checking will help understanding smile.gif

The Judging:

This contest will be judged by Doug and the forum Moderators.

They will be looking for finish quality and believable weathering, with a good dose of creativity and a fun approach to the concept.

The judging will be based on the input from several independent moderators who will give scores THEY will work out individually.
The basis will be “out of 100” with 20 points available in each of 5 categories.

These are: (1) Theme, (2) Creativity, (3) Painting quality, (4) Weathering quality and most importantly… (5) "Entry presentation quality"…

(Because some have nicer cameras than others, Judges will not focus on the photo’s only – Entries will be judged "as a whole" in category 5… photos plus the supporting documentation and project write-up)

The TIMING:

This contest starts now… and entries are to be submitted via email to the address provided by midnight on October 31st.

If you want to do so, questions and your work in progress can be posted on THIS thread.

Judging will commence November 1st and to give time for a fair assessment without time pressure, will have one week for completion. If there is a very close contest, then judges reserve the right to ask for "the contenders" to send their models in for final decisions based on the real thing.

The winner will be advised "on forum" in the second week of November.

Prizes will be sent out by DCCconcepts in the week following the announcements…. Or can be presented to the winners at Warley if you prefer smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

The AFTERMATH:

The winners and runners up entries will be shown "as is" in a thread to be created by the moderators…. with some "Nice Judges comments" as appropriate.

Have fun…

To show what can be done with the weathering powders, this loco below was weathered using the DCCconcepts weathering kits

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+
David Todd
post 1 Oct 2012, 10:04
Post #2

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 11,373

Morning,
Will give this a go,by the end of the month...........
Cheers Doug............ biggrin.gif

--------------------
........dt........

Link below,is to my layout, Dover Priory and Town Yard.Kent Uk
http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...showtopic=20477

]Click this link and watch my Naff Video Company,clips,of my layout
http://www.youtube.com/user/ferriesdover/videos

+
sean hpw
post 1 Oct 2012, 13:57
Post #3

Station Master

Member No.: 13,086

im game biggrin.gif it could be fun...

one question, can we modify the cans at all?

--------------------
semper fidelis

+
ebaykal
post 1 Oct 2012, 18:29
Post #4

Regional Controller

Member No.: 1,666

Objection your Honor !

Why a drink can?

Its surface is repellent to any type of acrylic paints let alone powders. Surface tension is too high. We do not want to put people off in weathering do we? (Unless airbrushed with enamels).But that would be painting not weathering.

Can I humbly suggest to the judges the contenders to use a cheapo gondol or boxcar, railway related.

Just my humble opinion.

Best of luck to the contenders.

Erkut

--------------------

If there ain't steamers in heaven, then I ain't goin

+
TheBufoon
post 1 Oct 2012, 18:38
Post #5

Diesel Drinker
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,225

I too have been wondering how I'm to get weathering powder to stick to a Beer Can.......

Cheers, Chris.

--------------------

My Layout Yorkshire: Where the men are men, and the sheep are scared!

+
jukebox
post 1 Oct 2012, 20:59
Post #6

Ex-member

Member No.: 2,175

QUOTE (ebaykal @ 2 Oct 2012, 02:29) *
Objection your Honor !

Why a drink can?

Its surface is repellent to any type of acrylic paints let alone powders. Surface tension is too high. We do not want to put people off in weathering do we? (Unless airbrushed with enamels).But that would be painting not weathering.

Can I humbly suggest to the judges the contenders to use a cheapo gondol or boxcar, railway related.

Just my humble opinion.

Best of luck to the contenders.

Erkut

Hi Erkut

I think the drink can is a neccesary evil, to "level the playing field". Once you have entries with different subjects, making an objective choice at the end is a lot harder.

Point 7 addresses your concern - I think there's an expaecation that the base can is painted in a "rail livery"... which of course could be matt black enamel, representing locos from a dozen different countries and companies. wink.gif

Good luck!

Scott

--------------------
Click here Stockrington, for a link to weekly updates on my 4mm NE themed layout.

+
ebaykal
post 2 Oct 2012, 07:04
Post #7

Regional Controller

Member No.: 1,666

QUOTE (jukebox @ 1 Oct 2012, 20:59) *
I think the drink can is a neccesary evil, to "level the playing field". Once you have entries with different subjects, making an objective choice at the end is a lot harder.

Scott

Fair enough.

Good luck to all.

Erkut

--------------------

If there ain't steamers in heaven, then I ain't goin

+
Richard Johnson
post 2 Oct 2012, 07:51
Post #8

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Member No.: 703

*** A quick spray of undercoat is all it needs.. and its acrylic compatible...

AND of course, the objective is to (a) use something of no cost and risk for a novice so they can have a go and (cool.gif keep the playing field level...

Experts like you should have some fun with it too Erkut - there is as much to learn as to show, and you may well inspire others to have a go.

Richard

QUOTE (ebaykal @ 2 Oct 2012, 15:04) *
Fair enough.

Good luck to all.

Erkut

--------------------

Direct honest advice from DCC & Modelling experts
Ph +61 8 9437 2470 or
sales@dccconcepts.com

+
Rowan
post 7 Oct 2012, 14:54
Post #9

Engine Driver
Group Icon

Member No.: 671

Excellent idea.

smile.gif

+
Brian Considine
post 23 Feb 2013, 18:50
Post #10

No Longer Active.
Group Icon

Member No.: 702

As you are all mostly aware a lot has been going on behind the scenes recently. The moderating team have been very busy with all sorts of issues.

However, in an effort to tie up loose ends the moderation team have been in touch with Richard & this is a slight change of rules & plan of action ;

1) All entries will now have to be posted on this thread.

2) The competition will now run until the end of March 2012.

3) In the absense of Doug the judging will be carried out by the moderating team.

3) Richard will despatch the prize(s) directly.

Otherwise, the original rules still apply.

Lets just get on with the competition without any "picking of the bones" about the present situation please.
In the interests of clarity I have deleted over two pages of detrius from this thread.

+
K w Hollywood
post 26 Feb 2013, 12:03
Post #11

Baggage Porter

Member No.: 15,611

I would love to try competition but using weathering powders seems to be a black art to me!!
I bought a set of powders but when I use them the result is very disapointing, is there any tutorials anywhere? You tube etc?
Getting very disheartened sad.gif

+
Brian Considine
post 26 Feb 2013, 12:09
Post #12

No Longer Active.
Group Icon

Hi there - do a "forum search" (top right hand corner of screen) - that will give you many links to weathering tips/tricks/posts on MRF.

Good luck.

+
lmsboy
post 27 Feb 2013, 19:53
Post #13

Passed Fireman

Member No.: 5,048

QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 23 Feb 2013, 18:50) *
1) All entries will now have to be posted on this thread.

Thanks for clarifying, Brian

Does this mean all previous entries are void and need to be re-submitted?

--------------------

+
Brian Considine
post 28 Feb 2013, 20:13
Post #14

No Longer Active.
Group Icon

QUOTE (lmsboy @ 27 Feb 2013, 19:53) *
Does this mean all previous entries are void and need to be re-submitted?

I'm afraid, in effect - yes (as we have no idea at present who has submitted what).

Apologies for not making it very clear.

+
Jaz
post 3 Mar 2013, 17:43
Post #15

Station Cat (Penguins beware!)

Member No.: 10,340

Hi
My starter, as you set no gauge and as its on a can is this sufficiently train orientated? question.gif

Airbrush the green/Humbrol acrylic

Hand-paint the black/Humbrol enamel commence the rust/railmatch rust

daler and rowney orange oil paint for lumps

daler and rowney brown for additional texture

railmatch weathered blk and same thinned to matt the finish,more dandr brown oil

railmatch teak and railmatch brake dust

humbrol black enamel for deep corrosions the 'hole' is painted not real, green humbrol reintroduced

tin positioned and final snapshot

Jaz N.B. All painting no photoshopping photos on an iPad

--------------------
Regards
Jaz
Better a glass half full than half empty
Arboretum Valley

+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th October 2014 - 00:17