Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Coopercraft coach kit
steveiow
post 18 Nov 2012, 22:50
Post #1

Passed Fireman

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,686

A mate of mine dropped by the other day,waved a plastic bag under my nose,said 'knock this up for us,I want it in Blood and Custard' and high tailed it out of the door before I realised he'd been there.
It turns out to be a LNER Tourist Brake 3rd,with transparent sides-I can see the reasoning behind this and I can also see problems with air brushing it.
Has anyone ever built one of these kits,if so would you be able to comment on them,and also,anyone know of a photo' of one in Crimson and Cream(B/W would do just want to check on the general scheme of paint).
Thanks
Steve thumbsup.gif
Go to the top of the page

+
Mercator II
post 18 Nov 2012, 23:38
Post #2

garage hobbit!!!

Member No.: 724

I made a rake of their coaches for my Silver Jubilee set a few years back, and me bro did the Corri' set. But to help you with this one, he also made a rest' twin in b&c

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...=6951&st=45

above link is his build thread, half way down p.4 is the start of it, hth

--------------------
Brian

'Lincolnshire Honorary Penguin'

'Now get off the computer and do some modelling!!!!'

Followed with a nice Fursty Ferret and a curry, Quack Quack!!

'Proud Winner of the May 2012 Caption Competition'

+
steveiow
post 19 Nov 2012, 20:57
Post #3

Passed Fireman

Thanks for that-I'll keep it in mind and I see you like Crimson/Cream as much as we do!
Steve thumbsup.gif

+
Derek Albert Buc...
post 20 Nov 2012, 15:31
Post #4

Ticket Collector

Member No.: 12,380

Dear Steve,

The Coopercraft Coach Kits are the "old" Ian Kirk kits. I have made many of these over the years - Maunsell, and Gresley Coaches.

They are very good value, and, like all kits, reward careful work. I suggest that the sides are painted, transfers added, and varnished before assembly. When the coach body has been assembled, I suggest, that, if it has NO full width compartments, you make a "false ceiling" out of 40 thou plasticard. This keeps the sides the correct distance apart, and well stop the tendency they have to curve in over time. I have, at times, replaced the plastic underframe fittings with white medal. They look better, and add a little weight.

Adding a few passengers helps too.

The bogies can be replaced if you wish, but I have found the originals have always worked OK - just ensure that all 4 wheels, on each bogie, touch the rails at the same time!

+
steveiow
post 20 Nov 2012, 23:21
Post #5

Passed Fireman

Derek
Thanks for that-I built a Kirk Gresley buffet yonks ago.God knows what happened to that.
I seem to recall it was a hefty bit of plastic with very thick sides.
Any way,I'm going to do as you said and finish the sides first then assemble the rest.
Steve thumbsup.gif

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 19:02