Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How many Mini-Panels?
RichardTee
post 4 Mar 2013, 20:34
Post #1

Fireman

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,789

I would like to use an NCE Mini Panel on my layout. I have an NCE Power Cab and use ESU SwitchPilot Servos to control the points. I have played around with the macro facility on the Power Cab but agree with postings elsewhere on this forum that using a macro involves more key presses than is ideal. I can control individual points easily by using the push button facility on the SwitchPilots but if I were to use the Mini-Panel macros for groups of points, and maybe some simple train control (eg shuttling back and forth to add a bit of interest) how many Mini-Panels can I use and how would they be connected? What extra power or equipment would I need?

In practice my layout would probably only need the 30 macros which a single Mini-Panel provides, but I thought I would ask the question just in case my imagination gets the better of me.

Although the Mini-Panel manual says that a ProCab or USB interface is needed to program it I understand from some postings that in practice it can be programmed using a Power Cab. I guess I'll find out how in due course.

All help will be gratefully received.

Richard
Go to the top of the page

+
Oakydoke
post 5 Mar 2013, 10:32
Post #2

Engine Driver

Member No.: 553

The Mini panel works just like another cab and just plugs in like other throttles.
It runs off the 12v Cab Bus power supply.

AFAIK, with just the basic PowerCab, you can only use one Mini Panel as an additional cab (address 03 ????).

However if the SB5 Smart Booster is added, then I think it allows for 3 Mini Panels in addition to 6 throttles.

I don't think there is any practical limitation with the full (Power Cab) system (subject to the normal limit on the number of cabs ?).
Hopefully Richard can help here?

I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) that programming the Mini Panel with a PowerCab, requires the USB adapter; where as the ProCab doesn't need the USB adapter.

+
Richard Johnson
post 5 Mar 2013, 12:46
Post #3

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 703

*** Pretty close.

There is no need for the USB adapter unless you are connecting to a computer - Minipanel is self contained as a unit.

If you have the latest PowerCab software, you can plug in up to 3 Minipanels. With all previous versions only one.

Its quite a powerful little device but it does need some specific setup with PowerCab - you will find this web page very helpful.

https://sites.google.com/site/markgurries/h...ini-macro-panel

regards

Richard

--------------------

Direct honest advice from DCC & Modelling experts
Ph +61 8 9437 2470 or
sales@dccconcepts.com

+
RichardTee
post 5 Mar 2013, 19:56
Post #4

Fireman

Member No.: 9,789

Thanks folks, that shines quite a bit of light on the subject, especially the link to Mark Gurries site and its reference to the corrected mini-panel manual.

I don't have the latest PowerCab software yet but am informed by NCE that I am on the list.

Should all be plain sailing from here on then... However, I'm sure I will be back again.

Richard

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 04:12