Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BBC 2 on now Flying Scotsman., Some great film footage.
A1A A1A
post 4 Mar 2013, 21:17
Post #1

Station Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,846

Hope you are not missing, very interesting and some great film footage.

rab.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+
Bulleidboy100
post 4 Mar 2013, 22:17
Post #2

Guard

Member No.: 11,080

Whilst I agree withe the above, there was no news about the future. I thought we might have had more about the current situation, but then I suppose that doesn't make good television. I was disappointed with the programme. I would like to see someone like Jeremy Paxman interviewing those in charge of the restoration. Sorry I'm feeling cynical.

+
post 4 Mar 2013, 22:31
Post #3

Chief mouser
Group Icon

Member No.: 706

Let's be honest 3.5 million+ of taxpayers money down the tube doesn't make that good a story...

Regards

--------------------
Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever
A Penguin is for life - not just elevenses
Dave Saffery
Haine Road
Nether Sennett

+
TonyDaly
post 4 Mar 2013, 23:33
Post #4

Station Master

Member No.: 2,256

Only for my partner I would have missed the program.
She taped it for me thumbsup.gif

--------------------
Regards.
Tony.
South West Ireland.

The only stupid questions are the one's you don't ask.

+
James Harrison
post 5 Mar 2013, 17:05
Post #5

Engine Driver

Member No.: 12,698

Watched it; enjoyed it; thought overall it was enjoyable, but not great. I hope you don't mind my reposting here what I wrote on t'other place (spoilers removed):

I watched it; laughed at the factual errors and at the irony of talking about the LNER whilst much of the footage came from the LMS film department and the BTF (wrong railway, or wrong time period, or both), but I have to say that it was a very informative programme on the whole. If there were things I managed to learn from it I am sure that the layman would have had his knowledge of the loco and its historical context vastly expanded.

My one major gripe with it (well, there are two actually)- firstly that it fauned over the loco. Not in a good way, either. The various shortcomings of the loco even as early as the 1920s were glossed over in the programme, presumably because it takes some of the glamour away from the engine. I did note that it was (very) briefly mentioned how three millionaire owners found it a constant drain on their resources- it was constantly under repair- but then there was no mention of the ongoing debacle at the NRM, or why it should need yet *another* rebuild in the first place.

Second gripe with it was that the last 40-odd years of its life were glossed over in the last five minutes (no mention of the later owners other than their names, no mention of its trip to Australia or its 1990s rebuild when it was put back to 1950s condition with those awful smoke deflectors, or the early days of NRM ownership). Really, it had the air of a programme editted to a two-hour format, then cut down to an hour at the very last minute. It should have been a two-parter; first part up to 1970 and second part to the present day.

Overall I'd say it was an interesting programme (I'm going looking for the 1968 BBC recording now after seeing bits of it last night), not a totally bad job but could certainly have been done better.

--------------------
Trying to merge my interest in railways into my interest in Victorian science fiction.... or is it vice-versa?

+
dhargy
post 5 Mar 2013, 20:59
Post #6

Guard

Member No.: 10,206

James

if you haven't already found it the 1968 program is on YouTube

+
A1A A1A
post 5 Mar 2013, 21:34
Post #7

Station Master

Member No.: 9,846

QUOTE (7113 @ 4 Mar 2013, 22:31) *
Let's be honest 3.5 million+ of taxpayers money down the tube doesn't make that good a story...

Regards

Taxpayers money!! will just join where the rest is spent then down thi tubes. sad.gif

--------------------

+
Grumpy
post 6 Mar 2013, 01:22
Post #8

Passed Fireman

Member No.: 6,421

I found different aspects interesting!

Firstly was the Loco finish when it was exhibited at the London Exhibition, was that the finish (reinforced by successive images) was distinctly Satin, and definitely not Gloss!
It was only after being bought and restored to LNER livery did it come out with a gloss finish, which it seemed to keep for the rest of it's life.

Secondly was that the "so called" early footage showed the Loco with it's double tenders, doing the non-stop run to Scotland, yet only with one when they were discussing the crew changes.

--------------------
Terry

If it ain't broke you're not driving it hard enough.

+
dhargy
post 6 Mar 2013, 04:03
Post #9

Guard

QUOTE (dhargy @ 5 Mar 2013, 13:59) *
James

if you haven't already found it the 1968 program is on YouTube

Correction and apologies. Not YouTube at all.

Here's the link along with a second folk may find interesting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p011v...lying_Scotsman/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/collections/p.../steam-railways

+
dhargy
post 6 Mar 2013, 04:13
Post #10

Guard

Just finished watching. Quite enjoyed it although I'd seen most of the footage in other sources.

I was wondering why the interviews with the key people involved in saving FS were all from 1999

+
Swift-Deere
post 6 Mar 2013, 15:18
Post #11

Streaks and Teaks

Member No.: 6,390

QUOTE (dhargy @ 6 Mar 2013, 04:13) *
Just finished watching. Quite enjoyed it although I'd seen most of the footage in other sources.

I was wondering why the interviews with the key people involved in saving FS were all from 1999

Taken from a program produced back in 1999 (I have it on a DVD somewhere) plus Alan Pegler Died last year.

Mark

+
James Harrison
post 6 Mar 2013, 16:31
Post #12

Engine Driver

Member No.: 12,698

Thanks for the links to the 1968 programme guys; it's on the BBC archive as well (and well worth a watch) alongside the 1986 (?) Steam Days episode The Flying Scotsman.

--------------------
Trying to merge my interest in railways into my interest in Victorian science fiction.... or is it vice-versa?

+
dhargy
post 6 Mar 2013, 18:18
Post #13

Guard

QUOTE (Swift-Deere @ 6 Mar 2013, 08:18) *
Taken from a program produced back in 1999 (I have it on a DVD somewhere) plus Alan Pegler Died last year.

Mark

Ah, thanks SD. I was wondering that as well as who was still around in 2013

+
Dave c
post 6 Mar 2013, 22:44
Post #14

Fireman
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 1,497

Just watched the programme, really interesting and enjoyed it, I wonder if they will wheel it put in 2023 ?

+
beeman
post 7 Mar 2013, 11:34
Post #15

Fireman

From: within sound of the sea and the 'Paignton & Dartmouth.'
Member No.: 7,359

Often the norm today with the Beeb, concocting a 'new' program from archived sources. Agreeing completely about how its latter day life was packed into the last bit of the program, likely due to the fact they already owned most of the previous footage. However, when one starts questioning 'taxpayers money' one should ask about the License fee. consider the fact that for every NEW house built they likely get the license fee, so for a hundred new houses theres another 10000 plus to their pot.As recently stated 'Fools and horses' on its FOURTH repeat airing!!!. they should have a program called 'Rip off Britain' , reckon.invented by them again for their gold plated pensions rather than entertainment.Be really interesting to see their balance sheet as to how much is actually is spent on programs against admin/ pensions Salford relocation and so on. One only has to ask how the current Chairmans ability in the entertainment field was justified or just 'one of the old boys' more likely. Scotsman bit like the Red Arrows, being one of the few true bits of our British pride left, and gradually watered down. Beeman.

--------------------
You wo'nt find you CAN unless you TRY.

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th September 2014 - 21:53