Maz066
post 16 Mar 2013, 00:45
Post #1

Fireman
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 11,099

I am not so sure DCC was the right decision
I am converting my layout to DCC. Part of the layout has a double slip with one route going directly into a diamond crossing. These were originally insulfrog. However as I chipped a 2-8-0, I found it shortcircuited over the insulfrog diamond crossing and didn't really go well over the double slip. So I replaced with peco fine guage electrog complete with transistion rails and special fishplates.

Now I am faced with some incredible wiring.

Can someone advise me on how to design the controls

My first thought is to use ganged point and DPDT frog switches linked to a route. So to go from Branch to up main I would select a ganged switch which would set the road as well as perform all the frog activation for me. I was using peco point motors but I am moving to cobalt.

My second thought is to use chipped cobalt motors - does this allow me to set a route on the control panel?

What ever the answer this is becoming quite complex and is taking away time to run the trains and I am starting to wonder if the move to DCC was a wise one

PS Not sure if this is the right forum section Moderators feel free to move it
Go to the top of the page

+
Suzie
post 16 Mar 2013, 03:12
Post #2

Footplate Inspector

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,367

The diagram is quite straightforward so there is no need to worry. The only tricky bit is the frogs on the diamond crossing, but they can be operated by a DPDT switch attached to one of the adjacent points, it does not matter which one electrically, so you can take your pick based on operational convenience. A PL15 will do it if you have solenoid motors, or a slow motion motor like a cobalt will most likely have the switch built in.

I am assuming that the points are all dead frog, but if not you could just connect the diamond frogs to the frogs of the two points which take the branch across the diamond.

The double slip is in practice just two points that have been overlapped. Each tiebar should have a switch attached to it to switch the associated frog (at the opposite end to the tiebar).

Just break it down in to manageable chunks and the wiring becomes simple. There is no need for any route selector switch with DCC.

--------------------
Suzie x

+
Sol
post 17 Mar 2013, 02:55
Post #3

Station Master
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,346

You can also spend some time reading
http://brian-lambert.co.uk/DCC.htm

--------------------
Ron Solly
Devan & Summersett Railway - very, very loosely based on GWR/WR/BR.

+
16A
post 17 Mar 2013, 08:54
Post #4

Bog Snorkeller

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,682

You haven't mentioned what DCC control unit you are using...

If you are using chipped Cobalts (or even standard Cobalts with an accessory decoder) some control units have a built in facility for route setting, I know my NCE has, dealt with by assigning macros to each of the points. A route setting macro is then selected and you allocate the point macros to each route as appropriate.

--------------------
Mike

Quernaby

'Marriage is a relationship where one person is always right and the other is the husband'

+
Maz066
post 20 Mar 2013, 22:54
Post #5

Fireman
Group Icon

I am using an NCE powercab with standard cobalt switches.
Looking back at the diagram the routes would be
Main to up main
Down main to main
Down Main to branch
Branch to up main
Branch to siding
Main to siding

Not too many to wire I guess

+
Maz066
post 20 Mar 2013, 23:05
Post #6

Fireman
Group Icon

QUOTE (Sol @ 17 Mar 2013, 12:55) *
You can also spend some time reading
http://brian-lambert.co.uk/DCC.htm

Thanks Sol. I appreciate your advice, but that what I was trying to avoid- spending hours trying to figure out the electronics rather than running trains

+
Richard Johnson
post 21 Mar 2013, 01:54
Post #7

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Member No.: 703

*** Your problems aren't because of the shift to DCC, but because of the track and the way its made. The 2-8-0 shorts because the point design isn't as good as it could be.

If you email me at the address on this email I will send you a manual written for my own Cobalt-S switches within the next 48 hours - it shows how to wire them to cobalt when using a scissors crossing and double slip, and includes all of the track wiring showing how to use cobalt to control frog polarity, so it should give you the general idea about wiring.

Basically there are two things to understand with electrofrog - that frog polarity of a diamond can be controlled by the points that lead to it and that with a double slip, the point motor at end a controls the frog at end b.

The rest is a little time and patience - no big thing is you simply do it one step at a time and think it through.

route control (called "Macro" in the NCE manual) works really well and you can easily set up routes with the handset.

regards

Richard

--------------------

Direct honest advice from DCC & Modelling experts
Ph +61 8 9437 2470 or
sales@dccconcepts.com

+
Moonraker
post 21 Mar 2013, 22:26
Post #8

Peter Lucas
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,139

A frog juicer may simplify your problem. These are electronic devices which require a single wire to feed each frog. The polarity of the frog is then changed automatically to suit all loco movements without the need for any other switching devices or wiring. Cost is around fifty quid for a frog juicer which will handle six points. The ones I purchased are at Tam Valley Depot where they show how to connect to crossovers.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

+
Richard Johnson
post 22 Mar 2013, 03:06
Post #9

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Member No.: 703

*** Given that the point motors have the ability to do it, a serious waste of money really... and just as much wiring to boot.

Richard

--------------------

Direct honest advice from DCC & Modelling experts
Ph +61 8 9437 2470 or
sales@dccconcepts.com

+
Maz066
post 22 Mar 2013, 03:16
Post #10

Fireman
Group Icon

Thanks Moonraker. Looks like a good solution. If I hadn't gone down the route of cobalt motors already I may have used it, but expense must be taken into account

+
Moonraker
post 22 Mar 2013, 23:01
Post #11

Peter Lucas
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,139

QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 22 Mar 2013, 03:06) *
*** Given that the point motors have the ability to do it, a serious waste of money really... and just as much wiring to boot.

Richard

I think that what Richard is (correctly) saying is that his Cobalt point motors have frog polarity switching built in so there is no point (oops..sorry about the pun) in using a frog juicer.

On the other hand, switching frog polarity on Peco electofrog point motors requires the purchase of a switch for each one and extra wiring. For these, a frog juicer makes a lot of sense.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th November 2014 - 06:10