> Dingham couplings
Maz066
post 30 Oct 2013, 08:19
Post #1

Fireman
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 11,099

I have made the decision to try Dingham couplings. My layout has some small radius curves but I noted in one of the postings that it was advantageous to attach the couplings for passenger coaches to the coaches between the buffers rather than the bogies. I do not see how this could work on small radius.
Has anyone had any experience with the Dingham couplings on passenger coaches?
Go to the top of the page

+
Richard Johnson
post 30 Oct 2013, 08:46
Post #2

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 703

***Yes, but not on small radii...

Its always better to put the couplers on the beam where they should be, both for running and looks... the use of couplers on bogies is a result of compromise for curves.

If you have smaller radii, I would not choose any of the buffer beam mounted couplers.... stick with hook and loop or kadee or the like

Dinghams have to be on the buffer beam - that is their design height!

Richard

--------------------

Direct honest advice from DCC & Modelling experts
Ph +61 8 9437 2470 or
sales@dccconcepts.com

+
34C
post 30 Oct 2013, 09:12
Post #3

In depth idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,818

You can mock up a test for yourself to see what 'closed up' spacing the bufferbeam mounted Dinghams would necessarily be set for to get the coaches through your present layout curvature. Just put a horizontal wire loop in the drawhook location on a couple of your longest vehicles, and bend a broad U shaped wire link to couple the vehicles, adjust link length until the vehicle buffers just clear when propelled. When pulled they will open out by the slack in the Dinghams. Of course if operation is only ever to be pulled, then the spacing can be shorter by the amount of slack in the coupled up pair.

I feel the better option for pulling and pushing if the curves are set track radii or nearly so is body mounted Kadee. These have less slack so not so much distance increase between vehicles when pulling.

With any coupler, some 'low cunning' in retracting buffer heads, or even making the complete buffer appreciably underscale in length, will enable the vehicle ends to be closer to scale separation. When it comes to the look of a train, I would cheerfully sacrifice dead scale on the buffing gear, for the closer to scale overall appearance of the train gained by having the vehicles at scale or near scale vehicle end to vehicle end separation.

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 15:14