adecoaches26poin...
post 7 Jul 2007, 13:04
Post #46

Engine Driver
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 1,457

Folks,

Have just seen A Rivarossi train set on Ebay UK,looks like the Golden Arrow(French train).
Loco Brown 4-6-2 sorry 2C1,Blue Baggage,Dining Car,Sleeping Car,Brown and Umber Pullman car,all for a start price of 120.00p innocent.gif

Happy bidding,

All the best, thumbsup.gif

David

--------------------
Knowledge not shared is lost forever

Go to the top of the page

+
Nozomi
post 7 Jul 2007, 17:40
Post #47

Fireman

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,682

QUOTE (woolwinder @ 6 Jul 2007, 15:41) *
This was the beginning. Later there were all-steel construction cars built by the Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Co,

I am willing to give more information if I can, provided people wish me to.

woolwinder

Hello Woolwinder

Very pleased to read all the interesting information and look forward to more if your time permits.

If you saw the picture of the Rivarossi CIWL Egypt edition I posted on photobucket link previously,would you know if it was one of the products of the Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Co?
It seems to be a mystery as to it's origins.

Cheers,
Bryan.

+
Nozomi
post 7 Jul 2007, 17:54
Post #48

Fireman

QUOTE (adecoaches26point4 @ 7 Jul 2007, 13:04) *
Folks,

Have just seen A Rivarossi train set on Ebay UK,looks like the Golden Arrow(French train).
Loco Brown 4-6-2 sorry 2C1,Blue Baggage,Dining Car,Sleeping Car,Brown and Umber Pullman car,all for a start price of 120.00p innocent.gif

Happy bidding,

David

Hi David, thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the info.I had not seen it.
It would be the Golden Arrow set as per the Rivarossi catalogue No.0332.It has the Flesche d'Or smoke box door emblem to attach if desired.Plus coach destination lables.
Only drawback with the loco is the very obtrusive motor in the cab which tends to ruin the overall effect of an otherwise very pleasing model.

This is the set I aformentioned I aquired in the "good'? old days of eBay.
I have it on the watch list as it will be interesting to see how rich I've become in old age!Not!

Cheers,

Bryan.

+
woolwinder
post 7 Jul 2007, 21:07
Post #49

Fireman

Member No.: 1,357

QUOTE (Nozomi @ 7 Jul 2007, 19:40) *
Hello Woolwinder

Very pleased to read all the interesting information and look forward to more if your time permits.

If you saw the picture of the Rivarossi CIWL Egypt edition I posted on photobucket link previously,would you know if it was one of the products of the Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Co?
It seems to be a mystery as to it's origins.

Cheers,
Bryan.

Nozomi,

I have just had a look at the pictures and can tell you that Car No 3571 was indeed built in Birmingham. It was part of an order for Cars Nos 3570 - 3577, built in 1928. These cars were shipped direct to Egypt and never ran in Europe. They were painted white. It is thought that the order was passed on from the Metropolitan Cammell Carriage & Wagon Co Ltd in Saltley, Birmingham.
To round off the story of CIWL in Egypt, after WW 2, the "Star of Egypt" Pullman train was reinstated. However, in 1950, the CIWL terminated their use of Pullman and Dining Cars but Sleeping Cars continued to operate until 1963.

I hope that the above is of use to you.

Woolwinder

+
Nozomi
post 7 Jul 2007, 21:38
Post #50

Fireman

QUOTE (woolwinder @ 7 Jul 2007, 21:07) *
Nozomi,

I have just had a look at the pictures and can tell you that Car No 3571 was indeed built in Birmingham. It was part of an order for Cars Nos 3570 - 3577, built in 1928. These cars were shipped direct to Egypt and never ran in Europe. They were painted white. It is thought that the order was passed on from the Metropolitan Cammell Carriage & Wagon Co Ltd in Saltley, Birmingham.
To round off the story of CIWL in Egypt, after WW 2, the "Star of Egypt" Pullman train was reinstated. However, in 1950, the CIWL terminated their use of Pullman and Dining Cars but Sleeping Cars continued to operate until 1963.

I hope that the above is of use to you.

Woolwinder

Woolwinder

Thank you very much for your informative reply.Very useful imformation to me as it clears up as to how they got to Egypt.
I understood from other writers in this thread that certain sections of line from Istambul were narrow gauge.
Glad you were able to see my pictures of the model.
The model is a sort of weathered white.
I had no idea that these cars were made in England and never ran in Europe.What a revelation!
I wonder what happened to them in the end.Scrap or restored repainted and used elsewhere perhaps.

Cheers,

Bryan.

+
adecoaches26poin...
post 8 Jul 2007, 19:20
Post #51

Engine Driver
Group Icon

Nozomi,

Just found a white Eyptian coach on Ebay Italy,value is worth watching 101 Euro at present.

David

--------------------

+
Nozomi
post 8 Jul 2007, 20:05
Post #52

Fireman

QUOTE (adecoaches26point4 @ 8 Jul 2007, 19:20) *
Nozomi,

Just found a white Eyptian coach on Ebay Italy,value is worth watching 101 Euro at present.

David

Thanks David, thumbsup.gif
Got my beady eye unsure.gif on it for observation purposes only.134 Euro just now.
First time navigating eBay Italy.
Did you read woolwinder comments kindly added.I had no idea these cars were made in England.
Cheers,
Bryan.

+
Nozomi
post 9 Jul 2007, 20:55
Post #53

Fireman

QUOTE (adecoaches26point4 @ 8 Jul 2007, 19:20) *
Nozomi,

David

David,

Mainly Italian bidders.
It reached 178.89 Euros,120 Pounds US$243.76.
Seems a lot to pay but I imagine the production and desirability when new,1983 was low therefore nowadays scarce and desirable.
Especially by Italian Rivarossi collectors.

Bryan.

+
adecoaches26poin...
post 23 Dec 2007, 20:00
Post #54

Engine Driver
Group Icon

Have had a question answered by someone who is knowledgable about CIWL coaching stock.
It appears Hornby have got it wrong ohmy.gif on the coach packs for the Ostend - Wien Express.
The Sleeping cars are in Blue and White livery question.gif afraid they never had this colour scheme sad.gif all Blue only.
What research was undertaken prior to releasing these coaches question.gif considering the premium price tag being asked.
Hornby would have a real earner if these were right.

David

--------------------

+
neil_s_wood
post 23 Dec 2007, 21:47
Post #55

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 570

I'm well up for a set of these but if I am paying these prices I would prefer them to be right!

--------------------

+

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2014 - 06:28