> smoke generator, connecting
Duztee
post 30 Oct 2007, 12:18
Post #1

Guard

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,417

My Dear Knowledgable Experts,
I am new to the whole modelling scene, but am enjoying every aspect of it so far as I discover skills I never knew i had!
I am using DCC simply because it does make life simple!
so far I have bought only DCC ready stock, but I would like to ask your opinions about the smoke generators offered by Seuthe, does any body recommend them? do they actually offer any realism in their operation? and most importantly how should they be connected to the decoder (e.g. A Bachmann 56xx ) and then which funtion will make them operate? finally, if fitted must they be used, or can the locomotive be run without the steam generator operating without damage to the steam unit?
Thank you for your time.
Duztee.
Go to the top of the page

+
Makemineadouble
post 30 Oct 2007, 17:44
Post #2

Regional Controller

Member No.: 203

Sleuthe smoke units will not fit in all your loco's the 56XX is a prime example of one that won't ( but check for yourself ). Clearance of the chassis below the chimney is required. I once fitted a smoke unit in a Bachmann split frame chassis (B1) I would not recommend this installation to anyone ! In general split frame chassis don't take smoke units well, as often the same area is used to fit in the decoder. Most Hornby tender loco's will take a smoke unit, I like to use the no 22 (for plastic bodies as it does offer some protection for them). smoke units are best used in short bursts for effect and then turn them off (F0) simple wiring is yellow white wires neutral bridged together, the other pole is Blue (live). Wired thus you can smoke in either direction. A no 22 will set you back +/- 13.50 depending on how many you buy. For some loco's I fit a sleuthe 100 this is a large unit for maximum effect, I machine my own insulation collar for these units. This protects the body from the considerable heat generated. Perhaps I should offer these for sale as they work exceptionally well, and my lathe is under utilised !
In some instances I fit a plug on the smoke unit particularly where a client has specified the use of a DCC plug, as always all joints are insulated this applied to the smoke unit as well. Use of Sleuth's smoke oil or that from First Class trains is recommended. I normally hold the smoke unit in with a small amount of epoxy, if they fail and they can, replacement isn't too much of an effort. The installation of large capacity smoke units in Engine sheds, tunnels and between the sleepers in stations, can add great visual effects, factory chimneys is another application. If you get the Rum and Raisin flavour, you get nice odours as well. wacko.gif wacko.gif cool.gif cool.gif

+
neil_s_wood
post 30 Oct 2007, 22:04
Post #3

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 570

I'd recommend them, the Seuthe smoke units are good. All mine have been installed in locos that were prepared for them and so have been easy to instal.

--------------------

+
Makemineadouble
post 31 Oct 2007, 08:53
Post #4

Regional Controller

I see Micro-Mart have a stationary smoke unit with a fan, this holds 70 odd drops of oil and is large capacity this would be great for covered stations, factories and loco sheds, the unit sells for $39.95 which is relativity cheap and will run on AC or DC power.
Smoke Generator
cool.gif cool.gif

+
Duztee
post 31 Oct 2007, 10:26
Post #5

Guard

Thanks MMD, as predicted it was in deed a full, complete and precise reply, what a nice man!
thanks Neil for your imput also.

+
Duztee
post 15 Nov 2007, 11:19
Post #6

Guard

A final point for anyone following this advice.
Check your decoder function output is sufficient for the generator chosen.
A seuthe #22 has a current draw of 120mA.
A lot of decoders have function supplied at only 100mA
Duztee.

+
Makemineadouble
post 15 Nov 2007, 20:35
Post #7

Regional Controller

Yes I'm fully aware the the requirements, and the capacity. Most of the common makes of decoder will power a smoke unit without problems. TCS are a bit different as they will handle double biggrin.gif . In fact it's not long ago that I powered twin smoke units in Hornby Duchess off of one TCS M1, as a trial of this. It looked spectacular probably in the long term a metal chimney would be a good investment. smile.gif TCS decoders will safely power double the function output stated. Another reason to support this truly excellent product.
cool.gif cool.gif

+
dwb
post 15 Nov 2007, 21:16
Post #8

Station cat
Group Icon

Member No.: 507

The Seuthe #23 takes 70mA. I've just bought one but not installed it in anything yet.

David

--------------------
Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 900+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.

+
dwb
post 15 Nov 2007, 23:06
Post #9

Station cat
Group Icon

I opened the packet tonight and started poking it down some chimneys. It's a snug fit in the Hornby A3, A4 (single chimney) and the Scot. Is safe to glue the plastic coated version inside a Hornby or a Bachmann? The manual says the plastic needs to be able to tolerate 80 C. Can Hornby & Bachman tolerate that?

David

--------------------
Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 900+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.

+
neil_s_wood
post 15 Nov 2007, 23:21
Post #10

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Member No.: 570

QUOTE (dwb @ 16 Nov 2007, 10:06) *
I opened the packet tonight and started poking it down some chimneys. It's a snug fit in the Hornby A3, A4 (single chimney) and the Scot. Is safe to glue the plastic coated version inside a Hornby or a Bachmann? The manual says the plastic needs to be able to tolerate 80 C. Can Hornby & Bachman tolerate that?

David

Now there's another benefit of metal bodies. wink.gif I would email them and ask. Roco plastic bodied locos don't have a problem with this but who knows if it's the same plastic and melting point.

--------------------

+
Makemineadouble
post 16 Nov 2007, 08:53
Post #11

Regional Controller

The Seuthe #23 takes 70mA. I've just bought one but not installed it in anything yet.

I obtained a couple of Seuthe 23's and run them on a test bed as my normal installation is a 22. I found they failed to produce adequate smoke because of the voltage. I tried them on the Digitrax n gauge setting which I normally run on (12.5 volts) The H/O setting of around 16 volts, and finally on the O gauge setting of
22 volts none of these setting could induce the no 23 to produce adequate smoke. I then changed the smoke unit and used another thinking the first one could have been faulty and got the same result. As a result of these tests I returned to the no 22 which provides good life and volume of smoke and has a plastic wrapping to protect the body. The secret with smoke units is to use them sparingly between fills for effect. IE pulling away from a station, in a tunnel etc rather than running them constantly. Real steam loco's didn't produce large volumes of smoke all the time, I think it had something to do with the application of the blower and the drafting of the fire and the application of coal. Similar to normal coal fired boilers which I have a lot of experience, they will also smoke more and become very inefficient when tubes are due for brush out.

I opened the packet tonight and started poking it down some chimneys. It's a snug fit in the Hornby A3, A4 (single chimney) and the Scot. Is safe to glue the plastic coated version inside a Hornby or a Bachmann? The manual says the plastic needs to be able to tolerate 80 C. Can Hornby & Bachmann tolerate that?

In my experience if you use the plastic bodied smoke unit IE the no 22 they work well and are coldish to the touch (the body). Fitting smoke in Bachmann bodies is very difficult are there isnt normally the clearance below the chimney.

If your worried about this, try an old trick and wrap the smoke unit in news paper with an application of epoxy to provide a bit of insulation. In my experience it isnt necessary if you use a 22. I often fit the seuthe 100 smoke unit in West Countrys and Merchant Navys this has a much larger volume of smoke oil and produces great smoke. I always fit my own insulation bush to protect the body.

cool.gif cool.gif

+
dwb
post 16 Nov 2007, 18:38
Post #12

Station cat
Group Icon

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, I really appreciate it thumbsup.gif

David

--------------------

+
Makemineadouble
post 16 Nov 2007, 20:13
Post #13

Regional Controller

no9 sweat do you want a 23 to try, I have a spare, I'd rather post it than bin it wacko.gif BTW I use epoxy to hold the no 22's in place you don't need a lot and if you need to replace one - and they can fail, a sharp crack of the pliers is sufficient to remove them.
wacko.gif wacko.gif

+
Martin71
post 18 Nov 2007, 05:29
Post #14

Footplate Inspector
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 1,830

Hi

Smoke generators in Tissue paper

I used layers and layers of tissue with epoxy glue.... have since found a new product which acts like a thermal blanket, only 10um (microns) thick keeps heat in my smoke generator and away from my loco body.

Using tank for storage acts as a heat sink( takes temp away + oil in storage gets warm before entering smoke generator = lots of smoke

Entry point for oil and top exit for air, be careful drilling, there is a glass filament inside tube!

I have each generator on a function, works well. It is fairly easy to do if you take your time and think it through, this was my second one to do, the first I didn't insulate my tank engines stack and it is lob sided now.

Its more lob sided than in this photo, plan to pull out some day.

Ahhh The golden rule: heat is the enemy of plastic (plastics, unless high performance engineering plastics like PEEK, PBI(highest of all) Vespel etc) have low softening points, in some cases much lower than melting point.

Hope thats given you some help or ideas best of luck.

m

+
dwb
post 18 Nov 2007, 10:18
Post #15

Station cat
Group Icon

Interesting stuff. I'm not sure I'm ready to go that far just yet.

Thanks for posting.
David

--------------------

+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th July 2014 - 23:56