Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1. Wolfgang Frey's STUTTGART layout, 2. Stuttgart Ultra-Exhibition 2007, N scale overload...1.the WHOLE of Stuttgart Hbf, 2. 500m+ exhibition&#
goedel
post 10 Nov 2007, 16:21
Post #1

is asleep

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,424

Hello all,

Whilst looking for information about the N scale ultra-show in Stuttgart next week (at which there will 500+ metres of continuous mainline (that's 80 scale kilometers!!)) I came across a magnificent layout that appears to be almost without equal in the whole world of model trains!!

The size and amount of detail is incredible...the creator Wolfgang Frey appears to have modelled over many years the whole of the DB Stuttgart terminus, the city centre, the freight areas, the depots and marshalling areas...

Pictures from Wolfgang Frey's website. Well worth a visit if you have socks to be knocked off!

Regarding the yearly Stuttgart Ultra-Exhibition, 1zu160 has all the details:

There will be modellers from all over Europe including a contingent from the UK taking modules all built to compatible standards, these are then plugged together at the exhibition hall and huge record setting trains can be run over record setting distances. All incredibly fun and because each modeller only has to make or contribute a single module if they wish then the standard of each module is usually very high. Not to mention all the trade stalls and 'small series' model makers in attendance.

So much N scale, so little time!

There are about 900 pictures from last year available here. Alas I can't go this year but am saving up for next year already. The exhibition is about 200 metres from Stuttgart International Airport and so is very accessible to anyone in the world!

This must definitely be the European-N scale event of the year!! To spend just two minutes looking at each metre of layout and savouring the modelling would require 17 hours to see everything...so spending two days there is probably the minimum if you want to see everything, and visit some of the other things going on at the exhibition centre.

dribble.gif dribble.gif dribble.gif
Go to the top of the page

+
dwb
post 10 Nov 2007, 17:54
Post #2

Station cat
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 507

ohmy.gif there are times when words are inadequate...

Thanks for posting the links and photos

David

--------------------
New Blog entry - 30th August - "Slovenian Railway Action" - link
Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 900+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.

+
simonj
post 10 Nov 2007, 20:11
Post #3

Passed Fireman

Member No.: 2,010

Thanks for the links.

Does "Stuttgart Hbf in Klein. 29 Jahre waren nicht umsonnst." mean that it took 29 years to build?

+
goedel
post 10 Nov 2007, 23:01
Post #4

is asleep

Member No.: 1,424

"Stuttgart Hbf in Klein. 29 Jahre waren nicht umsonnst."
means -
Stuttgart main station in miniature. Twenty nine years were not without success.

I'd have to agree!! lmfao.gif It is quite interesting that history is captured in the model, as the station has changed in places over the years, and the things remain in the model that were demolished etc. Something so epic in scale can never be finished I suppose, but what has been achieved is immensely impressive.

What I like in particular is that there is nothing there that couldn't be attempted by a normal modeller, e.g. the buildings are cardboard and plasticard, so one can look at a building or signal gantry or concrete overpass etc. and be inspired and think, how can I incorporate something like that in my layout?

Strangely after capturing so much realism, the catenary wires have not been put in?! lmfao.gif lmfao.gif lmfao.gif How many miles of piano wire would be needed? wacko.gif lmfao.gif

+
neil_s_wood
post 11 Nov 2007, 00:57
Post #5

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Member No.: 570

Thats is a pretty formidable layout. Incredible work. Well impressed. thumbsup.gif

--------------------

+
Geoff Booth
post 11 Nov 2007, 12:12
Post #6

Guard

Member No.: 1,872

Awesome, simply awesome. I started wondering how much it must have cost then gave up as too scary wacko.gif

Thanks for the links and photos thumbsup.gif

+
Brian Considine
post 11 Nov 2007, 12:57
Post #7

No Longer Active.
Group Icon

Member No.: 702

QUOTE (dwb @ 10 Nov 2007, 17:54) *
ohmy.gif there are times when words are inadequate...

Thanks for posting the links and photos

David

Same here - I've been trying to think of something to say over the weekend myself..........

+
Doug
post 11 Nov 2007, 15:17
Post #8

DT

Member No.: 2

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

How does he get to the middle bits when a loco has a problem?

A little to clean and neat for my personal taste, but I do realise that that's how they model in general. There could be more figures... it seems a little deserted. With all those trains, you would expect crowds of commuters.

--------------------

+
ozwarrior
post 11 Nov 2007, 20:52
Post #9

Passed Fireman

Member No.: 11

QUOTE (Doug @ 12 Nov 2007, 01:17) *
There could be more figures... it seems a little deserted. With all those trains, you would expect crowds of commuters.

A work in progress?
More like a work of art!

--------------------
"The things that unite us are greater than those that divide us". - John Howard (former Australian PM)

+
neil_s_wood
post 11 Nov 2007, 21:17
Post #10

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Member No.: 570

QUOTE (Doug @ 12 Nov 2007, 02:17) *
Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

How does he get to the middle bits when a loco has a problem?

A little to clean and neat for my personal taste, but I do realise that that's how they model in general. There could be more figures... it seems a little deserted. With all those trains, you would expect crowds of commuters.

There's a though, having to paint a couple of thousand Preiser figures! ohmy.gif

--------------------

+
post 12 Nov 2007, 16:17
Post #11

Chief mouser
Group Icon

Member No.: 706

Stunning, simply stunning. thumbsup.gif Truly a labour of love. But - where the hell do you keep it when not on display?

QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 11 Nov 2007, 21:17) *
There's a though, having to paint a couple of thousand Preiser figures! ohmy.gif

I would have thought a lot more than that!

Regards

--------------------
Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever
A Penguin is for life - not just elevenses
Dave Saffery
Haine Road
Nether Sennett

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 04:14