Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Triang X 03 spark suppressor
tiebar
post 23 Mar 2008, 09:38
Post #1

Guard

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,650

Most of the 12 volt motors I have seen, and certainly the Triangs , have a capacitor connected between the earth and the live connections to the brushes.
I have sometimes also seen a resistor in series with the capacitor.
Does anyone know what the values of these components should be. The cap. values on my Triangs are either illegible or were not there in the first place.

Thanks

Tiebar
Go to the top of the page

+
John Webb
post 23 Mar 2008, 15:04
Post #2

Regional Controller

Member No.: 144

I think they were 470pF ('picofarads'). I cannot recall ever seeing a Triang XO4 motor fitted with a capacitor and a resistor. Some locos were fitted with chokes - an inductor - between the live feed and the (insulated) brush; these comprise a number of turns of wire on a small ferrite rod, and can easily be mistaken for a resistor. I don't know the value of this either, but probably a few milliHenries (mH).

These components should not be left fitted if you are fitting an old loco with a modern DCC 'chip', I understand.

Regards,
John Webb

+
tiebar
post 25 Mar 2008, 15:47
Post #3

Guard

Member No.: 2,650

Thanks for reply and information John. Had another squint at supressor and you 're right , it is a tiny choke.

I am not into DCC (yet!) but will bear your comments in mind if ever the day should come!!

Regards
Tiebar

+
John Webb
post 25 Mar 2008, 19:59
Post #4

Regional Controller

Member No.: 144

I managed to find some of the old service sheets and none of them gives any values for either the capacitor or the choke. I understand that both capacitors and chokes were more frequently fitted to locos from the mid-1950s onwards as television spread across the land, to minimise interference on the neighbour's TV.

If you do convert to DCC, the DCC section of the Forum has much useful advice. I'm staying with analogue at the moment as my layout is set up to run the Hornby live steam system as well as the tradition 12v locos.

Regards,
John Webb

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2014 - 16:07