Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Rail Forum News Section

New posts in this News Section will get accepted by the system, but will not appear to visible in the forum immediatly. The posts are queued for moderation. A moderator has to see the story first and then either approves it or deletes it. Once approved, it goes up on the forum and is visible to all.

If a post is not suitable for this News section, but is still interesting, it will get approved and moved right away to another more appropriate section.

If you post images in this News Section, please make sure that the first image at the top of the post (that is visible on the Forum front page) is no greater than 500 pixels wide. Any images that mess up the layout of the front page will be deleted.

Note: Model Rail Forum Administration retain full editorial control over the content published here and will edit or remove material if we deem it appropriate to do so as it is displayed on the Front Page of the Forum and is automatically linked to by other Internet sites.
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Heljan Traverser - Finally here and looking good
neil_s_wood
post 21 Feb 2009, 02:29
Post #16

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 570

QUOTE (Doug @ 21 Feb 2009, 10:05) *
If I was building a new layout, I'd be very much tempted to do something like the plan already posted by dwb:

I suppose it's more space efficient than a turntable.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+
dwb
post 21 Feb 2009, 10:19
Post #17

Station cat
Group Icon

Member No.: 507

I suppose it's more space efficient than a turntable.

Particularly for moving stock between adjacent lines in a work shop. There's a traverser at the rear of the main museum building at Cite du Train in Mulhouse.

David

--------------------
Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 900+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.

+
neil_s_wood
post 21 Feb 2009, 11:22
Post #18

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Member No.: 570

QUOTE (dwb @ 21 Feb 2009, 20:19) *
Particularly for moving stock between adjacent lines in a work shop. There's a traverser at the rear of the main museum building at Cite du Train in Mulhouse.

David

If that's the case it would have been a good option for stock storage had this been released when I was designing my layout. Maybe next time.

--------------------

+
61215 billy carv...
post 21 Feb 2009, 11:33
Post #19

Fireman

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,560

i was thinking of one in fiddle yard of mpd layout 4 locos steamed up waiting to enter or diesels parked up with sound on waiting to come on shed billy smile.gif

+
alastairq
post 21 Feb 2009, 15:33
Post #20

Regional Controller

Member No.: 1,423

QUOTE (Oakydoke @ 21 Feb 2009, 00:22) *

exactly...thank you.

would fit well into the end of platform roads on a plan such as Cyril Freezer's famous ''Minories?''

Now.....I wonder if Heljan /Walthers would be prepared to produce a 'stripped-down'' version..ie WITHOUT the scenic add-ons?

bare track and mechanism?

This would better suit those who wish to use a traverser in an off-scene, or hidden siding mode?

making use of the indexing and power drive, etc....??

+
Lancashire Fusil...
post 19 May 2009, 06:40
Post #21

Paul Hamilton aka "Lancashire Fusilier"

Member No.: 609

Does any one know how to get hold of a manual for this or how this actually works, indexing etc. It mentions digital but what part of this is digital etc. I am keen on finding out more here.

+
Johan de Villier...
post 19 May 2009, 17:40
Post #22

Fireman

Member No.: 1,460

Go to www.walthers.com and in the search box type in 933-2968. This will take you to the Heljan Transfer Table where you can download the instruction manual.

I have the transfer table and the only negative comment I have about it is that the lights look a bit toy like. I intend replacing it with Viessmann lights.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards.

Johan

+
Lancashire Fusil...
post 21 May 2009, 03:49
Post #23

Paul Hamilton aka "Lancashire Fusilier"

Member No.: 609

Thanks Johan, I will check the link out. I am not worried about any of the aesthetics as it will be out of view and I will strip all that nonsense off!

Cheers

+
Graham Ford
post 4 Mar 2011, 22:48
Post #24

Baggage Porter

Member No.: 4,548

QUOTE (alastairq @ 20 Feb 2009, 18:49) *
I'm clutching at flying things in the breeze with this one, but....................

as a youngster in the mid 1960's, I recall cycling into the centre of Birmingham on frequent occasions......and visiting either, Snow Hill Station...or was it
Moor Street station?

either way, at the time as I recall it was 'parcels' only......no personal records kept as I wasn't really an avid trainspotter/enthusiast at the time....

but ..I remember seeing the remains of a traverser at the inner platform ends..ie intact but not used.

I've wiki'd both these stations but I didn't spot any mention of this unusual piece of kit.......am I wrong with this????

+
Graham Ford
post 4 Mar 2011, 23:00
Post #25

Baggage Porter

Member No.: 4,548

I have an ancient Bradford Barton book, Great Western Steam In the Midlands. It has a picture of a Hall on the Birmingham Moor Street Traverser, having just moved over from its train to the centre road. It had 3 roads and according to the text could just accomodate a Castle class loco. I am thinking of using one as a 'functional' item in my fiddle yard, due to lack of space for points. It would allow me to release a loco from the arrival roads to reverse onto shed without the need to handle locos.

+
Colin_McLeod
post 8 May 2011, 21:31
Post #26

Ticket Collector

Member No.: 57

I am aware of two traversers on Ireland's railways.
One at the Irish Rail works at inchicore, Dublin. (see Google Earth 53 degrees 20' 21.61" North and 6 degrees 20' 00.28" West.)There also used to be one at the Northern Ireland Railways' workshops at York Road, Belfast. The Belfast traverser was accessed via a turntable, so there is a prototype for both pieces of equipment. At York Road, these have now been replaced by a concrete apron, and stock is moved around on a "Vehicle transfer unit". (see Google Earth 54 degrees 36' 49.49" North and 5 degrees 55' 22.35" West.)

+
mobi323
post 9 May 2011, 10:09
Post #27

Fireman

Member No.: 7,536

`Moor Street traverser
http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrms1223.htm

+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 05:21