> Dapol Track Cleaner Fluid
graham162
post 25 Apr 2009, 10:57
Post #1

Baggage Porter

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,788

Hi,

Having taken the plung and brought a Dapol Track cleaner, after having read various threads on forums, it has arrived but the instrucions do not mention what to use as a solvent/cleaner, previously i have used isopropanol alchohol on a piece of rag to wipe grime off track, but i am concerned about pouring this in the tank and seeing it slowly disolve the plastic body! I have also got some MEK cleaner and also some acetone, but which to use? I thought that for the price Dapol might have included a small bottle to get started, but i suspect they have not done so due to the myriad of H&S regulations with regard to shipping chemicals. There is no mention of a specific cleaner in the instructions either. Also for the future there is no mention as to obtaining supplies of polishing and abrasive discs once those supplied are used?
Go to the top of the page

+
adecoaches26poin...
post 25 Apr 2009, 13:25
Post #2

Engine Driver
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 1,457

Hi,
Have a look at this link, Might be useful.
http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...?showtopic=7472

David

--------------------
Knowledge not shared is lost forever
My layout foto's at http://www.disrubahn.piczo.com

+
Richard Johnson
post 25 Apr 2009, 14:45
Post #3

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 703

*** NOT the MEK or acetone - they will both happily soften or dissolve the body. The alcohol should be way safer

Richard

--------------------

Direct honest advice from DCC & Modelling experts
Ph +61 8 9437 2470 or
sales@dccconcepts.com

+
Edwin
post 25 Apr 2009, 15:28
Post #4

Station Master

Member No.: 492

Dapol are now stocking the cleaning fluid (home page of their website at the time of writing this). I don't know what it is, but I do know it's about fifteen times the unit cost of a 1 litre can of isopropyl alcohol from Rapid.

+
shep
post 25 Apr 2009, 16:27
Post #5

Guard

Member No.: 3,154

I have just purchased the dapol track cleaner too and was also wondering what cleaner to use. I have never heard of isopropyl alcohol, where can this be obtained from and also will meths not work?

+
frame69
post 25 Apr 2009, 16:41
Post #6

Company Chairman

Member No.: 4,745

I've been using a cleaner called 'finishing touches' by Easi Scenic Modelling Products. Appears to be working and nothings melted yet.
regards,Frame.

--------------------
Have a nice day......Andy.

+
Edwin
post 25 Apr 2009, 19:38
Post #7

Station Master

Member No.: 492

I got a 1-litre tin of isopropyl alcohol (also known as IPA or isopropanol) from www.rapidonline.com. I believe it is also stocked by many pharmacists but you have to ask for it.

+
shep
post 26 Apr 2009, 17:34
Post #8

Guard

Member No.: 3,154

Thanks for the info Frame69 & Edwin biggrin.gif

+
graham162
post 2 May 2009, 16:07
Post #9

Baggage Porter

Member No.: 2,788

Hi all

Just like to thank everyone that replied to my post, my solution, excuse the pun, was to buy a 2nd hand triang track cleaner (you remember, the US style bogie box van with the felt threaded through the die cast insert) re-wheel it and replace the couplings for the newer small type and run it coupled behind the dapol unit fitted with the polishing head. Excellent results. I'm wondering how well two dapol units might perform, i have in mind pushing a cleaning set-up consisting of the vacuum fitted to the 1st dapol wagon, then the 2nd with the polishing head, followed by the triang unit with the isopropanol soaked into the felt.
Might be over the top, but could be the ultimate for track in tunnels/hard to reach areas!

Graham

+
sarah
post 2 May 2009, 18:37
Post #10

Foreman

Member No.: 4,244

Would it not make more sense to run the Vacuum cleaner AFTER the abrasive polisher, then it would suck up the cleaned off particles, before the cleaning solution wagon picks them up on the felt. This could prolong the cleanliness of the felt?

--------------------

+
theakerr
post 3 May 2009, 23:56
Post #11

Fireman

Member No.: 1,829

FYI, IPA here in Canada can be bought at a Pharmacy (Chemists) but be careful which grade you buy. Use the highest you can find, which i understand over here is 99%. The 75% grade contains some sort of oil/emulsifier that leaves a heavy white deposit when the alcohol dries.

+
dwhite4dcc
post 15 May 2009, 18:31
Post #12

Engine Driver

Member No.: 4,574

I too have recently got one of these operational. I also have a bottle of Goo Gone but have yet to use it. I note that the tank has a loose brass weight in the bottom presumably to limit the flow of fluid to the pad. Does this mean that any remaining fluid will leak out if left standing? Has anybody yet discovered if using this sort of detergent (I assume that Goo Gone is that) can cause problems with residue. Again I assume that alcohol evaporates? I wonder if Goo Gone dries off and is it still conductive?

I know that US sites have mixed reviews on this stuff. Anybody on here used it?

--------------------

regards and respect
David "CV" White

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st November 2014 - 05:57