Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Messerschmitt factories in Augsburg or Regensburg
dmeephd
post 6 May 2009, 11:46
Post #1

Ticket Collector

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,080

I have been looking all over for some 1940s era photographs of the Messerschmitt factories in Augsburg or Regensburg, or the Junkers factory in Dessau. I'd even settle for a history book of Messerschmitt that had some illustrations. I've googled, checked out Amazon.com and Amazon.de (Germany), and the Wikipedia. Found one book by Schmoll. Otherwise, Nada. (About a gazillion books on the aircraft themselves, it was and is a popular modeling subject!)

I model WWII Luftwaffe aircraft (1/72nd scale) and European Model Railways (HO scale). I have all of these wagon sets - from Liliput, Marklin, and Trix - of transported and disassembled Messerschmitt Bf 109 fighters and Junkers F 13 transports (plus the new 2009 Marklin releases on order) and have nowhere for these train consists to originate. I could simply freelance a building, but I would like to be somewhat realistic and have a structure (or series of structures) that would be reminiscent of the original.

Unfortunately, Google Earth is useless as these buildings are long gone. Even the EADS website - the successor company to Messerschmitt - only covers their history from 1999.

Do any of our European members know of a website or have some photos of these factories?

--------------------
David Martin, Ph.D.
Modelleisenbahner seit 1979
Go to the top of the page

+
Bang Road
post 6 May 2009, 18:51
Post #2

Guard

Member No.: 5,502

Hi David, as you model aircraft I'm sure you're aware of the fateful raid on Augsburg/Regensburg by the US 8th AF. Although the A.P. was the ball bearing factories, I'm pretty sure that the Messerschmitt factory was affected.

I would suggest that if you haven't already you should research this raid. IIRC I've seen photos of the damage to the Messerschmitt plant in a book whilst I was reading up about the exploits of the "Bloody Hundredth" Bomb Group based at Thorpe Abbotts. 100 BG Website here...100 th Bomb Group Museum

Also Martin Middlebrook wrote a brilliant (as usual) book about the raid.

Another possible source of information might be the German Night Fighter websites, as I believe Bomber Command also may have undertaken sorties against the factories.

HTH

Bang Road

+
dmeephd
post 7 May 2009, 13:37
Post #3

Ticket Collector

Hi Bang road!

I have the Schmoll book on order, and there are supposed to be some pre-bombing photos in it. The problem with the USSBS reports is that they have only aerial photos that show only the plant layouts or post-bomb damage (usually too severe to allow discernment of the building beforehand).

I'm checking out the website that you provided today.

--------------------
David Martin, Ph.D.

+
poliss
post 7 May 2009, 14:11
Post #4

Station Master

Member No.: 1,331

Found this aerial photo of the Regensburg site. http://glewis.us/v7th_Recon/images/Regensb...sserschmitt.jpg from http://glewis.us/v7th_Recon/

--------------------
Get off the line Bobby!

+
dmeephd
post 7 May 2009, 14:18
Post #5

Ticket Collector

QUOTE (poliss @ 7 May 2009, 10:11) *

Thanks. I've seen this picture, along with some others, probably from the same group. The USSBS also has similiar photos. The problem is that they offer no detail of value to the modeler except perhaps the overall layout of the factory. What each individual building looks like, it's style of architecture, from a ground level perspective, is missing.

--------------------
David Martin, Ph.D.

+
post 7 May 2009, 20:16
Post #6

Chief mouser
Group Icon

Member No.: 706

I found this site which may have some info if you contact them - sorry my German ain't that good

http://www.technikmuseum-dessau.de/

or this may help...

http://www.geocities.com/hjunkers/ju_dessau_a1.htm

Regards

--------------------
Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever
A Penguin is for life - not just elevenses
Dave Saffery
Haine Road
Nether Sennett

+
marmusman
post 5 May 2010, 22:07
Post #7

Baggage Porter

Member No.: 7,930

dmeephd,

Not sure if you are still looking for this information. There is a relatively new book out that may help. It is called "Nest of Eagles: Messerschmitt Production and Flight-Testing at Regensburg 1936-1945 [Hardcover]
by Peter Schmoll

http://www.amazon.com/Nest-Eagles-Messersc...d=1EK917OZ5I8RL

I have the book and will take a look through the photos for you. Have you found any of the info your were looking for on the internet? I would love to get any info you have on the Regensburg facility.

Marmusman

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2014 - 11:53