Thought I would try my hand at a little scenery today. I am obviously building this around 40s/50s coal country and I have some coal wagons, but no loads. I already had purchased some very small aquarium gravel with the thought of building stone walls for fields, etc. So, I figured it was worth giving it a go in the coal wagons.
In order not to weigh things down too much I built some cardboard formers to fill the bulk of the wagon, and then glued some grit on top. Tried using the standard ballast glue spray. I suspect for this size rock that glue isn't strong enough. It held up overnight, but it's a little weak. When I get to the wall creation I will need something with a bit more oomph. A little black paint on top and she was good to go. The units just drop into the wagons and can be removed as required, no gluing.
The end result is far from perfect. I suspect the rocks are too large for this purpose and the formers need to be made with a bit more precision, but the proof of concept gave me some good ideas for next time, and it will do for now.
Powered by IP.Blog (http://www.invisionblog.com)
© Invision Power Services (http://www.invisionpower.com)