H-R2441

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  VS-Admin 
#1 · (Edited)
https://www.modelrailforum.com/reviews/Hornby-Flying-Scotsman/DSCF7496-800.jpg]
Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Rolling
[/URL]

NRM LNER Green 'Flying Scotsman' 4-6-2 Loco Circa June 2004
Hornby Railways R2441

The Flying Scotsman was named after the run between London and Edinburgh which started in 1862. The journey made by the Scotch Express or Flying Scotchman took 10½ hours to reach Edinburgh Waverley from London Kings Cross including a 30 minute meal break at York and a comfort break at Newcastle.

In 1923, after the first war and in the last years of the Great Northern Railway came the introduction of a class of engine from which would become world famous. The A3, designed by Sir Nigel Gresley and built for the Great Northern Railway in 1923. Initially the locomotive was given a GNR number1472N but carried the London & North Eastern Railway Company initials and it was not named. Shortly after, it was renumbered 4472 to fit in with the LNER numbering system.

4472 was named Flying Scotsman in 1924 as it was seen to be the flagship of the LNER. All other locos in the class were named after race horses.

In 1928, a non-stop service from London to Scotland was introduced, taking around 8 hours to make the journey.

In 1934 the locomotive was selected to run a special train including a dynamometer car in order to brake the 100 mph barrier

During World War II, the Flying Scotsman service continued to leave London at 10.00 am everyday hauled by the A3 pacifics, including Flying Scotsman . It was renumbered three more times, 502, 103 and E103 but remained best known as Flying Scotsman No. 4472.

In 1948 the railways were nationalised and Flying Scotsman (BR 60103) eventually finished her work in 1963.

The Flying Scotsman spent 41 years in private hands, and is now part of the public collection at the National Rail Museum, York.

Train Vehicle Rolling stock Locomotive Wheel

The LNER steam locomotive 4-6-2 No 4472 Flying Scotsman, built 1923 at Doncaster Works, Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Standing at York Station prior to its departure for Scarborough. August 2004. Photo: NRM.

The Hornby Railways model R2441.
Released: December 2005.
Price: ÂŁ76.50.

Model Specification:
Length: 293mm;
Running No: 4472 'Flying Scotsman';
Livery: LNER green;
Period: Current;
Features: Fixed rear wheel assembly, NEM couplings, DCC ready;
Finish: Pristine;
Motor: 5 pole skew wound, loco drive.

Suitable Rolling Stock:

R4170A LNER 61ft 6in Corridor Brake Coach,
R4171A LNER 61ft 6in Corridor 1st Class Coach,
R4172A LNER 61ft 6in Corridor 3rd Class Coach,
R4173A LNER 61ft 6in Buffet Car,
R4174A LNER 61ft 6in Corridor 1st Class Sleeper Coach.

This is a very fine model. It has an immaculate finish and intricate detail. The box is sumptuous with good graphics and photos and the packaging is well made giving the impression that something precious is contained within. It certainly is precious and with it's detailed parts fitted it would look great in any display case.

But as this model has a motor and HO/OO specification wheels, I bought it to run on my track so on it went coupled to a train of Gresley teak coaches. It looks great and certainly looks the part. I'll let the photos below convey the beauty of the model.

Click on the photos of the model for a larger view.

Train Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Mode of transport Automotive exterior

Train Vehicle Toy Rolling stock Track

Train Vehicle Wheel Mode of transport Rolling

Train Land vehicle Vehicle Toy Wheel

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Steam engine

Train Motor vehicle Rolling stock Track Railway

Fitting a Decoder

As I wanted to get the most out of the loco and run it with others in my collection, I fitted a Lenz LE1014W Ultra-Thin Drive-Select DCC Decoder (LE1014W product manual). I had bought a handful of these decoders to fit to some DCC not-ready locos so they didn't have the NEM 652 (NMRA Medium) plug. I had some spare NEM plugs so I soldered one on to the decoder and simply plugged it in. I tested it before putting the body back and it worked perfectly first time. Very smooth operation.

I must say here that getting the body off and back on is a bit of a pain. The body has a number of very fragile parts including the smoke deflectors, pipe work, rails and cab doors. The front bogy has to be removed to access the front screw that holds the body to the chassis. The speedo also has to be removed using an axel socket tool. I used a Peco loco holder to hold the body that is very tight on the chassis. Upside-down, once the front screw is out, the chassis is raised from the front and moved forward to remove from the body.

You can't secure a DCC chip to the chassis as it is too wide. So it is best to use the protective sleeve that is provided and slip the chip into the boiler above the chassis, fold in the excess wires, the replace the chassis.

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Microcontroller Computer hardware

Motor vehicle Font Vehicle Metal Auto part

Note: there is a seam in the boiler plastic above the front driving wheel. On the inside, you see it joins the black plastic to the green plastic. Don't place the decoder chip under this seam as it could cause enough pressure to crack the seam. This is what happened to my model, but I suspect that there wasn't enough glue to begin with on the joint.

I have subsequently repaired the crack, but have damaged other parts in the process. It is all very fragile. Perhaps think about adding some rapid epoxy to the inside of the boiler seam from the inside before you install a decoder. I'll do this next time.

The detailed steam pipes and the front connecting cables that you can add to the model prevent the free movement of the front bogey. If you want to run the model on your layout, I would suggest keeping these items in the box.

Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Circuit component

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Toy

Testing the installation

Place the locomotive on the programming track (without its body on) and read the loco address (CV1). If you have installed the decoder correctly, you should now be able to read the address (3= factory default for the LE1014W). If you are not able to do so, it is possible that you have made a mistake when connecting the cables. Do not subject the loco to full running track power until you obtain the correct "03" address read-out. If there is a problem, recheck your cables and connections.

DCC CV Settings for the 'Flying Scotsman' Locomotive using the LE1014W decoder
CV172Address (The loco number)
CV28Minimum Speed
(V Min at step 1)
CV34Acceleration delay
(0-15)
CV44Brake Delay (0-15)
CV2922Default = 6,
but to enable Speed curve selection, use a value of 22
CV67 to CV94Speed Curve Table (See below)
The rest of the CV's are left untouched
(factory default).

Rectangle Slope Font Line Parallel

Conclusion

I have said how I feel about this locomotive. It is very good indeed. Many modelers will already have an older 'Flying Scotsman' so may not feel the need to get this model, but let me assure you that you may desire it still for all it's detail and charm. Be careful how you handle the loco and I'm sure you'll enjoy many years running it on your layout.

Wood Font Flooring Tints and shades Audio equipment

- December 2005

All text, photos & graphics ©2005 Doug Teggin - All rights reserved.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.