Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Track spacing OO
Kiwibarge
post 13 Sep 2020, 01:32
Post #1

Guard

Group: Members
Member No.: 204,773

I am laying a mix of Peco OO 100 track, curves are setrak, electrofrog points and some of the connecting straights are flextrak.

I have a Peco track gauge with two track spacings, I believe the wider spacing is for setrak and the narrower for flextrak.

Given I have a degree of 'flexibility' is there any reason I can't use the closer spacing wherever possible?
Go to the top of the page

+
Kiwibarge
post 13 Sep 2020, 01:39
Post #2

Guard

ps as an aside. I have 15 electrofrog points and as a newbie was having problems with power feed points/insulator connectors especially on the run arounds. I sent my layout plan to Peco tech support and within an hour had an appropriately marked one back. Fantastic support!

+
John Webb
post 13 Sep 2020, 07:26
Post #3

Railways Czar

Member No.: 144

The set-track spacings are deliberately wider because the set-track curves are much tighter than the prototype would normally allow. So there is the possibility that if at the prototype spacing on curves long vehicles, particularly coaches, would overhang the track and hit similar vehicles on the adjacent track. The wider spacing avoids this. Nothing to stop you putting track closer together on the straight runs! But you would have to widen the spacing on approaching a curve.

The flexitrack spacing assumes your curves will be of larger radius and can be at the prototype's spacing - but you would need to check all your vehicles can pass each other safely.

Regards,
John

+
SRman
post 13 Sep 2020, 08:56
Post #4

Station Master

Member No.: 2,453

I use the standard spacing on straight sections (using points for crossovers as the setting), but I deliberately widen the spacing on curves, using the longest and widest vehicles I own (mark 3 coaches and Heljan Cargo Waggons) to gauge the spacing with a small added margin.

A good reason for not putting tracks too close together is that we need to get our overscale fingers in between trains sometimes to handle models or rerail them.

P_20190727_102045_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

P_20200129_090226_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

+
Kiwibarge
post 13 Sep 2020, 09:12
Post #5

Guard

Thanks

+
34C
post 13 Sep 2020, 13:36
Post #6

In depth idiot

Member No.: 1,818

QUOTE (Kiwibarge @ 13 Sep 2020, 02:32) *
...I have a Peco track gauge with two track spacings, I believe the wider spacing is for setrak and the narrower for flextrak.

Given I have a degree of 'flexibility' is there any reason I can't use the closer spacing wherever possible?

You can go further than that, with due regard to the limits this imposes. The flexitrack spacing sets the track centres for Peco's
Streamline points, roughly 50mm. But the minimum track centres spacing in UK practise is 11 feet, thus 44mm in 4mm scale.
There's every reason to use this for running lines in scenic locations with straight or very nearly so track: it simply looks better in
representing most UK locations, but it will require any point used in crossover formation between such lines to trimmed down to fit.

It also saves a little width and makes the contrast of spacing to another running line or a siding more apparent, these should be
positioned at 60mm centres or greater wherever possible, appreciably larger spacing.

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2020 - 14:50