Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Information
105 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hannem Central - 3 years old 1st August 2012, The full story starts at page 13 (24th,March).
Capt Jango
post 19 Jan 2011, 14:10
Post #31

Station Master
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 9,591

QUOTE (Sir Dubalot @ 19 Jan 2011, 12:25) *
I really like the archways, Id be very interested to know how you achieved such a realistic finish please, great work.

Best regards

Willy.................

Arches , MDF from "hobbies-by-design" off Ebay "oo gauge" section , or direct ( Cheaper?)
Contact Bob E-mail < [email protected]>
I cut off the crenellations to produce a flat top , I added suitable mdf at the bottom to create the correct hight and glued it into position . The inside of the arches were covered with Peco plastic stonework (Evostic -impact adhesive)The "columns between the arches had two layers of cardboard (I use picture mounting board) Evosticd on and then covered with Peco Stonework . The bit above the arch was just painted . It comes "etched" with the arch stones .
The whole lot was painted with Humbrol Enamels a sort of dirty brown ( mix khaki and black ), I add bits of each colour just to vary the stone effect, Not looking for perfection , after all it is a stone wall !
When dry a very weak (Loads of thinners ) was allowed to run down the mortar channels , This mix was white with a touch of khaki to produce a creamy colour . This mixture is weak , weak weak ! It may take 2 or 3 coats before you see the impact . It does look effective , The retaining wall is over 7 feet long -- needs a few cables etc, and wall mounted signal .
It also needs a top , still working on MPD so this will have to wait

Graham
Attached File(s)
Attached File  SWScan00055.BMP ( 850.83K ) Number of downloads: 33

Go to the top of the page

+
Capt Jango
post 19 Jan 2011, 20:51
Post #32

Station Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Sir Dubalot @ 19 Jan 2011, 12:25) *
I really like the archways, Id be very interested to know how you achieved such a realistic finish please, great work.

Best regards

Willy.................

The Wall as it looks today -painted , above is in fact bare plastic .

Graham

+
Sir Dubalot
post 19 Jan 2011, 21:28
Post #33

Noob, but I try my best...........

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,314

Thanks for your reply, although I could not locate any on Ebay, I will try to get some for my layout as they look really good.

Thanks again for your help.

Willy............

--------------------

+
Capt Jango
post 20 Jan 2011, 23:26
Post #34

Station Master
Group Icon

[img]https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/uploads/1292661825/gallery_9591_201_668519.jpg[img]

Storage sidings , Now got to sort out my photo upload !!

Graham

+
matthew47
post 21 Jan 2011, 10:15
Post #35

Guard

Member No.: 2,712

WOW!! biggrin.gif
What an impressive collection of locomotives you have! The layout is looking great. Will be watching this one as it progresses.
Great work! clap.gif
Matthew

+
silky_jack
post 21 Jan 2011, 12:39
Post #36

Station Master

Member No.: 8,080

WOW - Very jealous of the layout and locos you have....not seen that many "Red" engines in one place before!!

Class 37 (Mark)
Spot the ringer !! My only Diesel -in LMS Livery !!!!!!! Drives the purists mad , I just like the look of it .

I also have exactly the same on my layout....all steam except one Class 37 - I just like them! smile.gif

Looking forward to seeing more of this post.

--------------------

+
Capt Jango
post 21 Jan 2011, 14:27
Post #37

Station Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (silky_jack @ 21 Jan 2011, 12:39) *
WOW - Very jealous of the layout and locos you have....not seen that many "Red" engines in one place before!!

I also have exactly the same on my layout....all steam except one Class 37 - I just like them! smile.gif

Ian ,
Locomotives are my big weakness , many purchased on Ebay . All bar a couple of the "Red" ones have been repainted . The factory Crimson Lake is a liitle too brown for my tastes . I use Precision Phoenix Paints and a brush for the "red" bits .
As a school boy I lived near the West Coast mainline where it was crossed by the Liverpool Manchester line and regularly "spotted" ex LMS engines . I spent some years in the Army and as a Modeller have ended up building up a "military collection" . Currently 16 Royal Scot Class , mainly Parallel Boilered pre War locos . Do I need more ? Not unless I see a bargain !!

Graham

PS I have a BR Two tone Bachmann Class 55 Deltic which will be repainted in an LMS livery when I have the time .

+
Capt Jango
post 21 Jan 2011, 14:59
Post #38

Station Master
Group Icon

[img]https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/uploads/1295598512/gallery_9591_208_2715.jpg[img]

See Above Post . Three of the Scots in the "Paintshop" (Workbench - better known as the kitchen table !)

+
Class 37
post 21 Jan 2011, 15:17
Post #39

Passed Fireman

Member No.: 9,246

QUOTE (silky_jack @ 21 Jan 2011, 12:39) *

Some build layouts over 20 years. I say put a class 37 on then it's complete, and then follow that with a large logo 47. No need for any scenery, just these two locos. Jobs done. tongue.gif

--------------------
Class 37!....Mark

+
Capt Jango
post 22 Jan 2011, 13:24
Post #40

Station Master
Group Icon

At Last --sorted out how to "do Pics " on this forum .Thanks for the help !

<Edit - insert>
23rd February 2013 by dwb
Graham was so successful at loading photos, he ran out of space in his gallery. As explained here the solution was to delete 500 photos and as you can see below, it was the first 500 photos which went. This seems to cover layout photos up to about page 50 in the topic. Photos of locos are not affected neither are youtube video inserts.

The track diagram can be found in this post

<End of Edit - insert>

[img]https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/uploads/1295598512/gallery_9591_208_21192.jpg[img]

Going back in time. Pic shows layout under construction . Left is the Terminus Station board . Extreme right of retaining wall is MPD board . Centre back , Reversing Loop , Storage sidings are located under Terminus. Continuous Run is alongside Wall , the double junction seen is where the tracks to the Reversing loop leave and enter .

One day I will attempt to produce a track diagram !

The layout is 19 feet long and 9 feet wide . Track Peco Universal 100 with Live-Frog points . (Would have changed to the finer stuff but most of the points are off previous layout from 20 plus years ago - need the money to buy locos !!

[img]https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/uploads/1295598512/gallery_9591_208_10669.jpg[img]

Looking at the "other end"TR Terminus - Junction Continuous Run Tracks up to Terminus and MPD
Reason for edit: Explain the absence of photos and where they restart

+
Capt Jango
post 23 Jan 2011, 12:52
Post #41

Station Master
Group Icon

[img]https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/uploads/1295598512/gallery_9591_208_18775.jpg[img]

GWR Engines . Makes a pleasant change from the LMS - lived near Swindon some years back, so it was inevitable that God's Wonderful Railway would muscle in on the act . I do like GWR coaching stock - all that umber and cream .

Graham

+
Capt Jango
post 27 Jan 2011, 11:19
Post #42

Station Master
Group Icon

[img]https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/uploads/1295598512/gallery_9591_208_28053.jpg[img]

Spent some time creating barrow-crossings at the platform ends of Hannem Central . Went well for a while then decided to run a few trains ! I cannot justify the Coronation Scot but it is a colourful change ! (The complete train has been repainted Coronation Blue , as supplied by Phoenix Precision Paints , it looks much better, particularly the Loco , as it comes it was a very peculiar shade with wheels and body being very different )
The water columns need bedding in - I am in two minds about the left hand one . The other is ok , it is positioned on the pilot siding . I think that in reality the left hand one needs moving to the "local" platform to service tank engines .

Graham

+
matthew47
post 28 Jan 2011, 10:17
Post #43

Guard

Member No.: 2,712

Graham
The layout seems to be coming along very nicely. Very impressive. All those GWR locomotives look great! I wish I had that kind of layout and that amount of locos. ermm.gif
Well done.
Matthew biggrin.gif

--------------------
It's my layout, so if I like the model, it runs

+
Capt Jango
post 28 Jan 2011, 11:01
Post #44

Station Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (matthew47 @ 28 Jan 2011, 10:17) *
Graham
The layout seems to be coming along very nicely. Very impressive. All those GWR locomotives look great! I wish I had that kind of layout and that amount of locos. ermm.gif
Well done.
Matthew biggrin.gif

Mathew , Feedback appreciated . Currently the railway is taking a bit of a back seat , I have another project on which will be finished next weekend and then it will be back to Hannem . As for the locos , bear in mind that I have been modelling for many years , most of the GWR stock is at least 25 years old but it still runs and looks pretty good . I have added a number of locos to the stable by buying off E bay - to date I have never been surprised . It is apparent that there are loads of people out there who buy stuff and rarely if ever take it out of the box ! I buy it at half price , throw the box away and paint it ! Attach pic of a GWR purchase in the "paint shop" last year - Castle - Airfix ?

[img]https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/uploads/1295598512/gallery_9591_208_16454.jpg[img]

Regards

Graham

+
Capt Jango
post 29 Jan 2011, 13:29
Post #45

Station Master
Group Icon

[img]https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/uploads/1295598512/gallery_9591_208_13893.jpg[img]

Was going to spend an hour or so on building the cutting tunnel which carries the tracks to the storage sidings and reversing loop . (See Pic -tracks going down the hill and round the corner ) But found the drawer containing the GWR coaches - so spent a while watching trains go by . Two Castle class are getting some exercise on the continuous run , a LMS "Crab" sits waiting for a clear line . Photo a bit grainy - poor light , no flash , hi ISO , shaky hands !

Graham

+

105 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th August 2020 - 20:01