Reply to this topicStart new topic
> underlay thinckness and width, N Gauge
Graham Rayner
post 4 Feb 2012, 12:27
Post #1

Fireman

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,458

I have read the topic about underlay and there is a number of different methods modellers use.

1/ Nothing
2/ Close cell form like Dcc Concepts and Woodland scenics
3/ Cork
4/ DIY lamainate floor underlay.

What I would like to know is what thickness and width should the underlay be for N Gauge. The woodlands scenic underlay is 3mm by 32.5mm. Is this to wide and thick?

Also for the modellers who use cork, do you lay the cork all over the board and then add the track. Or do you add the track and then cut either side to create the correct form before ballasting?

regards

Graham
Go to the top of the page

+
TonyDaly
post 4 Feb 2012, 13:44
Post #2

Regional Controller

Member No.: 2,256

Hi Graham.
I think you should use some form of underlay as track to bare board gives a very loud & hollow sound as everything vibrates through the board.
Quite a few modelers use the close cell type of underlay.They say it sounds quieter. Now my way of looking at it is that Railways may be a lot of things but quiet isn't one of them. Maybe the modern streamlined electric type of trains are quiet but everything else can make quite a racket.
I use cork myself. I buy it in large sheets & cut it into strips if I need to. I think you can get it in 1/16" & 1/8" thickness. I use 1/16" thickness.
If I have just one or two tracks then I use strips under each track but if I have several tracks together like a yard I sheet the board over the area of the tracks.
I can't speak for diy floor underlay as track underlay as I've never used it.

--------------------
Regards.
Tony.
South West Ireland.

The only stupid questions are the one's you don't ask.

+
gritty
post 4 Feb 2012, 18:13
Post #3

Passed Fireman

Member No.: 9,858

I've used woodland scenics closed cell foam. Very happy with it,. nice quiet running, aesy to get track and points level. Some has the surrounding area built up flush as it's in a goods yard, but ballasted it looks like main line. Everyone has their favourite though.

+
Graham Rayner
post 6 Feb 2012, 12:01
Post #4

Fireman

Member No.: 11,458

Gritty

Is the 3mm thickness correct for underlay? Some use 1.5mm or 2mm?

Also the width seems a little excessive, 32,5mm seems rather wide, Does anyone have any thoughts?

regards

Graham

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2020 - 22:47