Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Problem with Ulenbroch Intellibox 2
Dane Hawley
post 15 Jun 2019, 10:22
Post #1

Ticket Collector

Group: Members
Member No.: 173,777

Having owned it for some months, I now at last have my under-construction layout ready for DCC.
As I have laid and wired track and wired LED's onto a control panel, I have tested to prove that everything is in order using an analogue controller.
I have just set up my Intellibox 2 but cannot make anything work beyond the fact that the screen light us with the message- "systemfehler kein loconet", which i believe translates as "System error no loconet:"

I have searched the English instructions that i have but can find no mention of how to solve the problem Can anyone tell me how to make the unit work?

Dane.
Go to the top of the page

+
Nigel2001
post 15 Jun 2019, 17:33
Post #2

Station Master

Member No.: 2,422

Your translation is correct, but there is no reason for the unit to not start up with nothing connected to the loconet ports. So, unless you've put something weird into the ports on the rear it should work when turned on.

So, either "ask the retailer who supplied it", or "ask Uhlenbrock" (which may mean writing an email in German - translation tools exist).

Nigel

+
Babz
post 15 Jun 2019, 21:20
Post #3

Footplate Inspector

Member No.: 11,666

Hi I have the Uhlenbrock intelli box11 just one suggestion have you downloaded the latest software and made sure all of the connections electricaly are correct. I have not had any problems. Personally i think its a great robust system.
Babs

+
Dane Hawley
post 15 Jun 2019, 22:11
Post #4

Ticket Collector

Thanks for the replies.

The only connection that I have made is to attach the appropriate six wires to the green connector and plugged it into the unit.

I have managed to track down the phone number of the retailer's tech guru, so will telephone him a bit later this morning (it is early morning Sunday here at the moment)

I am keen to get it sorted so I can then get on with learning locomotive programming etc. All this is new to me, returning to the hobby after a 20 year break when Zero 1 was just being discussed and I knew of no-one who was brave enough (or rich enough) to try it out.

Thanks again,
Dane.

+
Babz
post 16 Jun 2019, 04:46
Post #5

Footplate Inspector

Dane Good Morning after looking at your post again you said youhad
6 wires connected up. May i suggest that you lookat the excellent you tube videos by AandH models who sell the system. Here is the link for the youtube video 1

https://youtu.be/j9SCKK8CviY

Best of luck Babs

+
Dane Hawley
post 17 Jun 2019, 09:03
Post #6

Ticket Collector

Thanks for your suggestion Babs.

I will look at that link shortly. Over the weekend I managed to make contact with the Australian agent ("call back on Monday"), the agents repair guru, who offered suggestions, but basically could not help. I tried the suggestions that were made and still no joy.

This morning I disconnected the four track wires (2 to main track, 2 to programming track) leaving just the power input wires in place. I switched on, but the same problem persists. This test proved that it had nought to do with my track wiring, but is an internal issue.

I believe that on an earlier model, one could actually switch to reset factory settings on firing up the system. If only I could do that, but alas, so far anything that I try fails. I can't effectively get past that initial message.

No Babs, I'll have a look at the video. Just maybe there will be a solution there.

Thanks again, Dane.

+
Dane Hawley
post 17 Jun 2019, 10:42
Post #7

Ticket Collector

The video did prove to be useful, even though I am no closer to a solution.

I saw from the video that just attaching the power wires and switching on is o.k. That bothered me before and that is why I had attached all six wires.
The other thing is that my problem message actually appears on the screen of the Intelliboix in the video. At one minute 58 seconds, he switches on and the usual Intellibox lettering appears, but at 2.05 the same message as the one that I get appears on the screen, only for it to disappear by 2.07 and the operational screen takes over.

That suggests that the message is a normal part of the boot-up process, but for some reason, on mine that message becomes a block that will not let the boot up proceed any further. Although not a solution, it is a clue that could well help to lead to one.

Many thanks and if anyone has further ideas I would be most grateful
Dane.

+
Babz
post 17 Jun 2019, 13:17
Post #8

Footplate Inspector

Dane Good Afternoon. Have you updated the Software it might reset the box i think we are up to Version2.
Good Luck
Babs
Ps where did you buy it from as German suppliers give you a 2 year Warranty

+
Dane Hawley
post 17 Jun 2019, 20:58
Post #9

Ticket Collector

Hello Babs,

I have just started my computer this morning (6.20) and found you messages. Thank you so much for your interest and concern.

Re the factory reset, it appears that one has to let the machine boot up fully in order to access that area. Unfortunately mine wont boot past that message., There could be a shot cut to it, so I will hunt for that.

About updating softwear, that is a possibility. I assume that I would need to connect the Intellibox to my computer to manage such a thing. That is an area of which I have no knowledge.

Coming back to model railways after a 20+ year break, I decided to enter the world of DCC An enthusiast friend wanted to buy a new Intellibox 2 and was going to Melbourne to get it. We discussed and decided that if he bought two at the same time he might get a better deal, so that ids how I acquired my unit. It has been resting in its box for some months until I could complete baseboards, track, wiring etc. Now I want to get it going. My friend Peter, is away at the moment, but I will ascertain the location of the business. At the time of purchase I was very unwell and unable to travel. Now I am able to drive distances. Melbourne is nearly 100 miles from where I live (nearly 160K's)

Very useful information that a 2 year warranty applies. I will bear that in mind when contacting the seller.

I am now thinking that my only recourse is to try returning it to the seller.

I do appreciate what you have passed on to me. Each small increase in my knowledge is helping me to understand the unit and helping me to make decisions.

Regards, Dane.

+
Nigel2001
post 18 Jun 2019, 07:57
Post #10

Station Master

I'm convinced this is a faulty unit, and return to retailer/maker is only sensible option.

I know what the UK and EU laws are on this sort of thing, living in the UK (its the retailer's problem to fix, replace or refund - the retailer can then deal with the maker). I've no idea about the Australian consumer laws.

As to whether its a sensible box to use, that's a different question. Uhlenbrock stuff is very clever, can do all sorts of things (if you buy lots of additional bits from them and other vendors), but I'm of the view the Intellibox is a long way from the easiest system to use. It comes down to what are your aims ? If it is to manually drive trains, then I think its not a good choice save for having a friend who owns the same box (to compare notes on how they work).
If your aims include some of the automated and semi-automated features which are possible, then it may be a good choice though being able to read/write German for support on forums might be very valuable.

On the plus side, the stuff is usually reliable. However, I've found Uhlenbrock's support to be indifferent: they advertise that their new Daisy-II system is compatible with their older Fred handsets; it is not, the bug (the Fred can't pick up any addresses to control) was reported by me and the UK importer several years ago (the UK importer replicated the bug on their stock, so its not unique to "my Fred"), and there has been nothing to address the bug, no request to return items for testing, no correction/changes to the documentation (German or English) for the Daisy-II system.

- Nigel

+
Dane Hawley
post 18 Jun 2019, 20:46
Post #11

Ticket Collector

Thanks Nigel. Useful observations. I had as of yesterday, decided that return hoping for replacement is really the only option. To that end, I telephoned the importer/agent again, and will arrange to visit their premises in a couple of weeks With luck I will be able to complete this discussion by reporting that I have a replacement unit then

Thanks to Babz, I checked my original invoice and noted that it clearly states a 2 year warranty.

Dane

+
hoonsou
post 18 Jun 2019, 22:47
Post #12

Chief cook & bottle washer
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 280

Reading through this post, especially Nigel's post re suitability, I'd think a refund would be a better option and buy something else more suited to your use. I live in Oz as well and have gone this route myself. The retailers/importers really don't like it but have come around after my persistence. I'm sure that they're bound by law to do this, but try not to.
When all said and done it's your call, but I've always found that Nigel gives very good advice.

--------------------
Cheers, Peter.

+
Nigel2001
post 19 Jun 2019, 09:16
Post #13

Station Master

As I said, I don't know what Oz consumer law says. I know what the UK says, and it amounts to "if its faulty on delivery, you've a lot of rights, including refund", however those absolute rights are time limited. If Oz laws give that right, or the retailer is willing to refund then I'd have a serious think about whether the Intellibox is the right choice.

If a swap of maker isn't possible, then I expect a working Intellibox to be a reliable bit of kit - there are plenty of Intellibox version 1's in use at over 15 years old. It will be OK once you've got your head around the manual and worked out which areas of the manual (and bits of the Intellibox user interface) you don't need to worry about.

+
Dane Hawley
post 19 Jun 2019, 20:24
Post #14

Ticket Collector

Thanks for all information, suggestions etc.

I am arranging to go to Melbourne and visit the supplier in a couple of weeks. I will report back after that.

Dane.

+
hoonsou
post 19 Jun 2019, 21:40
Post #15

Chief cook & bottle washer
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 280

Good luck.

--------------------
Cheers, Peter.

+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2020 - 09:50