> Track underlay
Kiwibarge
post 27 May 2020, 09:52
Post #1

Ticket Collector

Group: Members
Member No.: 204,773

Hi

I am using a mix of Peco Setrack and Streamline 100 for a new layout. I intended to use DCC underlay but it is not feasible to ship it to NZ at sensible cost. Given we have a hot humid climate can anyone recommend an alternative (I understand Hornby and Peco underlays have a pretty short life).

Regards
Go to the top of the page

+
Babz
post 27 May 2020, 11:54
Post #2

Footplate Inspector

Member No.: 11,666

Yes i can Woodland Scenics is fantastic underlay and does Not Deteriorate like others. I am using Profi Fleischmann Track and wanted to dampen the noise on the Baseboards. From a study by someone else who i came across it turned to be the best. I am sticking it to the track with Copydex fantastic as well. Because if you make a mistake because of its rubbery nature it comes of both track and underlay.
Hope this helps
Babs

+
Kiwibarge
post 29 May 2020, 01:54
Post #3

Ticket Collector

Member No.: 204,773

Thanks - what about Gaugemaster?

+
Babz
post 29 May 2020, 07:14
Post #4

Footplate Inspector

Member No.: 11,666

Hi Kiwibridge if you want longevity with your underlay then IMHO the only one is Woodland Scenics. I understand the Gaugemaster is a sponge so drys out and crumbles.
Babs

+
Julian2011
post 29 May 2020, 08:28
Post #5

C55

Member No.: 9,766

The Gaugemaster is a firm sponge, but does not have the same properties as the earlier sponge underlay, from Hornby etc. It is UV resistant and doesn't crumble. It is a reboxed version of the Noch underlay. It also has the indents for the sleepers, which allow the tracks to be set into the ballast applied to the foam, rather than on top like most other methods.

For what it may be worth, a quote from the Noch information on the Underlay -" Moltopren insulates against electricity, it is close to indestructable and resitant against oils, greases, petrol, as well as glues containing thinners. It also dampens the noises of running locomotives and wagons and your layouts' noise level is reduced significantly."

My shunting game has spent the last 9 years exposed to the sun, in the conservatory and is no different to when laid.

Julian

--------------------

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th July 2020 - 06:42