Reply to this topicStart new topic
> travel Posters
John Webb
post 19 May 2020, 08:35
Post #3421

Railways Czar

Group: Members
Member No.: 144

We're on a fresh page, so my occasional reminder to left-clink on a photo to go to the larger original on the Geograph website.

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 19 May 2020, 08:12) *
In the land of the mystic pot smokers. It's always particularly strong walking down Glastonbury high street !
What was once free in a local park is now an expensive entrance charge to one of the heritage organisations.

Near match:
Glastonbury - Glastonbury Abbey

© Copyright Chris Talbot and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
The abbey is looked after by an independent charitable body who maintain the whole abbey area and the ruins - see www.glastonburyabbey.com for a detailed history of the site. Currently closed, of course!
Glastonbury and Street, as the station on the west side of the town was known, was closed in 1966 as part of the Beeching Axe. Much of the trackbed around the NW side of the town now accommodates the A39 road to form a bypass.

A fairly easy match:
Hereford Cathedral and Wye Bridge.

© Copyright Colin Smith and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

This is not an attempt to try and show the location of the poster - which I suspect may be an "Artist's Impression" anyway, but to match the idea of agricultural land and distant hills typified by the poster:
Longstone Edge towards Great Longstone

© Copyright Chris Wimbush and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

John
Go to the top of the page

+
Makemineadouble
post 20 May 2020, 05:51
Post #3422

Minister of Transport

Member No.: 203

almost certainly the biggest park I've ever seen.

This makes Plymouth look as if it evolved from the Supreme Soviet ! They just need a few gulags up on the Hoe.

+
John Webb
post 20 May 2020, 08:24
Post #3423

Railways Czar

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 20 May 2020, 06:51) *
almost certainly the biggest park I've ever seen.

The park was given to the people of Sutton Coldfield in 1528 by the King at the behest of Bishop John Vesey and is currently managed by Birmingham City Council. It has been designated as a National Nature Reserve by English Nature. Not easy to pick a similar view to the poster - there are a number of lakes/pools within the park, but I think tree growth doesn't allow a similar view - here is a former 'drove road' through the park:
Nut Hurst Glade, Sutton Park

© Copyright Robin Stott and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

This makes Plymouth look as if it evolved from the Supreme Soviet ! They just need a few gulags up on the Hoe.

This is "Armada Way"; it was planned by Sir Patrick Abercrombie as part of his "Plan for Plymouth" following the severe bombing Plymouth suffered in WW2. I think the poster may be based on his draft plans rather than what was actually built - and of course much development resulting in rebuilding has occurred since. This is a view looking in the opposite direction:
Plymouth as seen from the Wheel of Plymouth

© Copyright Christine Matthews and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
This photo and others show that there are a lot more trees than indicated in the poster.

The poster is looking at the "Three Sisters" at the Pass of Glencoe - a slightly clouded view of the same:
The A82 descends into Glen Coe

© Copyright Tim Glover and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

John

+
Makemineadouble
post 21 May 2020, 06:58
Post #3424

Minister of Transport

+
John Webb
post 21 May 2020, 10:04
Post #3425

Railways Czar

Today's response will be delayed - the Geograph website is having server problems.
John

+
John Webb
post 21 May 2020, 11:04
Post #3426

Railways Czar

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 21 May 2020, 07:58) *

This would seem to be the nearest the public could get to an 'off the platform' shot these days:
King's Cross Railway Station

© Copyright Nigel Cox and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

A rather more realistic view than the poster, I think:
The Weaving Shed, Quarry Bank Mill

© Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
One of my books on posters says that this poster dates from 1924, and, to quote about the artist "....is in keeping with the symbolist themes of idealisation....of his academic painting...." - a recent program on the TV pointed out that one weaver was expected to look after between 6 and 8 looms, not one per loom!

A modern example of a 'coble' from Yorkshire in this case:
Coble on slipway, Inner Harbour

© Copyright Christopher Hall and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
They are designed to be hauled up onto a beach, hence the twin keels and flatish bottoms.

John

+
Makemineadouble
post 22 May 2020, 07:10
Post #3427

Minister of Transport

+
John Webb
post 22 May 2020, 08:39
Post #3428

Railways Czar

Not much geographical information in the first poster - so we'll skip that.

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 22 May 2020, 08:10) *

Took me ages to find the "Mayflower Steps" as they are not marked as such on maps! Not certain which church spire is the one visible in the '1620' poster:
The Mayflower Steps

© Copyright Sarah Charlesworth and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 22 May 2020, 08:10) *

Bit of an 'artist's impression' as the poster must be derived from an aerial view, there being no high ground nearby. The pier was lost in 2008 after a serious fire led to it's demolition. There isn't a photo on the Geograph website which can really reproduce the poster view, so on this occasion I'm providing a link to an aerial view taken in 1949 on the "Britain from above" website. (Although looking in the reverse direction.) See https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW023416.
Fleetwood lost it's heavy rail link for passengers in 1970.

John

+
Makemineadouble
post 23 May 2020, 07:38
Post #3429

Minister of Transport

their apparently busy reinstating the rail connection John, due to commuter demand.

+
Julian2011
post 23 May 2020, 10:03
Post #3430

C55

Member No.: 9,766

The Southwold Lighthouse poster has quite a bit of Artist Licence, the church tower is a good 200 yds further behind the Lighthouse and directly in line with it, from the viewpoint. It adds a lot artistically to the picture, to be fair, without it there would be just a space, where the eye is drawn, down the road,

Julian

--------------------

+
John Webb
post 23 May 2020, 10:09
Post #3431

Railways Czar

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 23 May 2020, 08:38) *
their apparently busy reinstating the rail connection John, due to commuter demand.

The rail connection towards Fleetwood was only completely removed three years ago as part of the Preston-Blackpool North electrification:
Former junction at Poulton le Fylde

© Copyright Ian Taylor and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
There is a vocal group pushing for reinstatement, and they have been allowed to do some work:
Thornton-Cleveleys Station

© Copyright Peter Moore and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
More strength to them! Reinstatement problems include the number of level crossings involved, let alone a new connection at Poulton-le-Fylde!

The Midland Railway poster is not mentioned anywhere in my books on adverts, but looks typical of the early 1900s. My guess is somewhere in the Peak District, but the detail isn't certain enough to give a positive identification.

Some degree of artistic licence in the poster, as the church in the distance (St Edmund's) is actually set back from the road the poster artist is looking down, and not a single photo shows it to be visible in the way the poster depicts! Nearest match I could find:
St James' Green, Southwold

© Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

The tannery is long gone. This is the coach station off Tannery Road - at the back of it is the River Brit, hence, I assume, the 'Britside' of the poster:
Bridport Coach Station

© Copyright Mike Faherty and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

John

+
Makemineadouble
post 25 May 2020, 05:56
Post #3432

Minister of Transport

nice little place Bridport.

how long is your string ?

+
John Webb
post 25 May 2020, 09:32
Post #3433

Railways Czar

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 25 May 2020, 06:56) *
nice little place Bridport.

how long is your string ?

For those not in the know, Bridport was noted for the ropes it produced particularly for the Royal Navy. I understand that when a seaman was hanged after committing some serious misdemeanour, it was referred to as "Being stabbed with a Bridport dagger." as a wry acknowledgement to the source of the rope used.

I think this is the confluence of the River Bure with the River Thurne, from looking at the OS maps of the area. No one has caught the same angle as the poster and certainly not nearly so many boats, alas. Nearest match:
Thurne Mouth

© Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
The Bure comes from the west and does a 90degree turn south - to the left in this photo and the poster. The Thurne comes in from the right (north). Riverside reeds have stopped the drainage windmill a distance up the Thurne being visible as in the poster.

Nearest match:
Southwell Minster

© Copyright Philip Halling and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Nearest match, although the strong morning sunlight has thrown the two pillars at the far end of the bridge rather into the shadows:
The Backs at St John's College

© Copyright Marathon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

John

+
Makemineadouble
post Yesterday, 06:29 AM
Post #3434

Minister of Transport

+
John Webb
post Yesterday, 09:33 AM
Post #3435

Railways Czar

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 26 May 2020, 07:29) *

The view in the poster is difficult to get these days due to tree growth along the river bank, as seen in this photo, covering a much wider vista:
Kelso Bridge from Millennium Viewpoint

© Copyright Colin Pyle and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
The tower is part of the remains of Kelso Abbey.

Fortunately my Cambridgeshire Pevsner led me to this quite quickly - it is the Gibbs building of King's College and is viewed on the west side. Still had to work my way through nearly 500 photos before finding this one:
Snow on the lawn, King's College Cambridge - Christmas Day 2010

© Copyright Richard Humphrey and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Most people of course concentrate their attention on the adjacent chapel!

The distant gateway was of considerable help in sorting out the viewpoint amidst over 300 photos:
Minster Yard

© Copyright Richard Croft and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Unable to find a view that matches the last poster. Possibly due to modern riverside developments?

John

+

230 Pages V  « < 227 228 229 230 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2020 - 16:07