> wtd-pics of hornby turntable
post 19 Aug 2009, 19:58
Post #1

Baggage Porter

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,206

hi all

newbie,,,be gentle smile.gif

wondered if anyone can help me with a few good pictures of a turntable,ive just bought one with no track,brass connectors,hand rail etc,,,just the bit that turns and base

thanks roz
Go to the top of the page

+
frame69
post 19 Aug 2009, 20:44
Post #2

Company Chairman

Member No.: 4,745

Hi roz and welcome,what make of turntable is it?...kind regards,Andy.

--------------------
Have a nice day......Andy.

+
post 19 Aug 2009, 21:04
Post #3

Baggage Porter

hi
sorry,,,its the hornby r410

thanks roz

+
Wayne Rite
post 20 Aug 2009, 06:11
Post #4

Fireman

Member No.: 142

Roz,

Have a look at this site.

www.tri-ang.co.uk/oonew/indAcc.htm

And if you want any parts for the turntable you have (if its a R407) I can help you.

Best regards

+
frame69
post 20 Aug 2009, 11:34
Post #5

Company Chairman

Member No.: 4,745

Hi oo girl,cant seem to find much...
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/elect...c-turntable.htm
http://www.hornby.com/track-91/r070/product.html
r410 dont appear on any catalogue as far as I can see,cheers Frame.

--------------------
Have a nice day......Andy.

+
Richard Johnson
post 20 Aug 2009, 12:49
Post #6

Just another modeller
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 703

*** This is the turntable - its actually originally a triang product as Wayne surmised - pre hornby

Richard
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

Direct honest advice from DCC, DC & Modelling experts

Please do visit us at Unit E, The Sidings, BD24 9RP.... right behind Settle Station.
Ph +44 (0) 1729 821 080 or email to
[email protected]
Further customer service available online at:
https://www.dccconceptsforum.com

+
post 20 Aug 2009, 22:39
Post #7

Baggage Porter

hi
any idea where i can get the copper end bits?on the bit that turn round

thanks roz

+
Wayne Rite
post 20 Aug 2009, 23:46
Post #8

Fireman

Member No.: 142

No Richard,

The illustration you have is of the Hornby Turntable, the dead give away is the Hornby Railways across the corner of the box.

Although the Tri-ang number given was R410, I couldn't find that one but there were early turntables that were around that numbering, a powered one R407, an unpowered one R408 and an add on powering kit R418 all of which I remember from the time as they were the first powered turntables on the mass UK market and indeed I have one or two in pieces, one day to make a good one out of the sum of the parts.

I have got some parts in stock particularly the drive gear which is quite cunning as it has a device incorporated in it that when the deck reaches the run off tracks it pauses long enough for the power to be turned off or it pauses and then moves to the next track. Something that I've not seen elsewhere and has only recently been eclipsed by the heljan Microprocesser controller.

Good luck restoring your example, I sold two good examples a couple of years ago on Ebay for around the hundred dollar mark.

+
Richard Johnson
post 21 Aug 2009, 02:36
Post #9

Just another modeller
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 703

***Tripped over my tongue :-) - what I meant to say it that it was sold by triang before t became hornby. Incidentally I found that ilustration by googling triang R410

regards

Richard

--------------------

Direct honest advice from DCC, DC & Modelling experts

Please do visit us at Unit E, The Sidings, BD24 9RP.... right behind Settle Station.
Ph +44 (0) 1729 821 080 or email to
[email protected]
Further customer service available online at:
https://www.dccconceptsforum.com

+
dwb
post 21 Aug 2009, 17:03
Post #10

Station cat
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 507

The R408 unit mentioned above is present in the earliest Triang catalogue I have which is the 13th Edition of 1965/1966?
The last catalogue is appears in is the 20th Edition which is dated 1974/1975 on the cover. In this edition the turntable is listed as being suitable for Super 4 or System 6 track. In the photos it looks like the turntable was supplied with Super 4 to System 6 converters.
The 1825/1975 catalogue which carries no Edition number or other date has no turntable listed at all.
The next catalogue I have is from 1981 and this carries the model for which Richard posted the photo.

As to the turntables themselves, I had always coveted the Triang electrically operated turntable. The kid next door had one and I remember thinking it was great and wasted on him because he wasn't as mad on trains as I was and careless with them too.

I was mad enough to buy a manual version of the later model which was a big disappointment. On the Triang, the motor was contained in the shed on the table deck and the motor driven gear engaged in a set of teeth moulded into the outer ring. This meant the deck was full length in the well and was a reasonable approximation to the prototype. By contrast the Hornby design had a Saturn like ring attached to the deck with the result that the whole appearance is too awful to contemplate.

David

--------------------
Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 900+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.

+
sarah
post 21 Aug 2009, 18:46
Post #11

Station Master

Member No.: 4,244

A Short History Of Tri-ang Hornby Turntables.

The first Tri-ang Turntable was announced in 1955, though it did not appear until 1957. This was the R.45, and was made to fit the "Standard" track (That is the Grey track with "Ballast" built in. Black "Series 3" track also fitted, as this was basically the same, but with the "ballast" removed.) This was electric operation only, and was made largely of metal. The "bridge deck" was mounted on a metal circle (a bit like a biscuit tin lid!). There was only two tracks, and the 'table was only suitable for turning locos. The operation was by push button.
This remained available until 1962, when Super 4 track was introduced.

The next Turntable, announced in 1963 (Avilable Summer.) was the R.407 (Hand operated) and R.408 (Electric). (The motorising kit was X.319).(After 1965, only the electric version was available.)
This was a great improvement on the R.45, as described in a previous post. This turntable could feed 3 sidings, and was mostly moulded plastic.

This turntable was re-numbered R.408U on the introduction of "System 6" track. The turntable had Super 4 Track, and used the R.476 "Converter Track" to connect to System 6 layouts. The "U" suffix was dropped in 1973, and production ceased in 1974.

The Hornby Railways Turntable was planned in 1975, and arrived in 1977. (Made until 1981) This was R.410, and was supplied "hand operated". This worked by rotating an unusually placed water crane. A motorising kit (R.411) was available (1977-1990) to convert the 'table to electric operation.
This version of the Turntable had up to seven outlet tracks. Each clipped into position.

This was replaced by the R.414, which was basically the same, and hand operated (The same motorising kit fitted.), but had provision for up to thirteen outlet tracks. (only 8 were included!)
This was made from 1982 until 1993.

From 1994, the R.070 turntable was available. This was electric, and basically the R.410, with the Motorising Kit already fitted.

(Information from Pat Hammond's "Rovex" books...)

--------------------

+
post 22 Aug 2009, 17:39
Post #12

Baggage Porter

hi
cheers all for the info cool.gif

ive got the one the richard had posted

ive got the track,im goner use it manually

is the wire that comes out form the middle are the power cables?

im not 100% sure,,,as im newbie to electric`s!! be gentle smile.gif

thanks roz

+
sarah
post 23 Aug 2009, 18:00
Post #13

Station Master

Hi Roz.

If you are missing the "Water Crane" handle, the Hornby Railways Trackside accessories has a water crane in it, this uses the "top half" off of the turntable in a metal base.

(I have a spare water crane somewhere...)

--------------------

+
Geoffrey Rose
post 20 Apr 2015, 20:12
Post #14

Baggage Porter

Member No.: 18,785

Hi there,

I've just picked up a R408 turntable from ebay. Its a little damaged in that the motor assembly has parted company from its mounting and the white plastic gear wheel which engages the circumference of the turntable is not on its spindle.

I have searched for a Triang service sheet for this turntable but there doesn't seem to be one in existence. Certainly not present on the Hornby website or Lendons. If I had a part number for the gear wheel I might be able to source one.

Does anyone have any ideas? The wheel can be seen in this picture http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mS1...XobfG8eT3ZQ.jpg.

Thanks,

Geoff.

+
sarah
post 21 Apr 2015, 10:49
Post #15

Station Master

This is the Tri-ang Hornby Turntable from 1963-1970s, not the later Hornby Turntable.

The next Turntable, announced in 1963 (Available Summer.) was the R.407 (Hand operated) and R.408 (Electric). (The motorising kit was X.319).(After 1965, only the electric version was available.)
This was a great improvement on the R.45, as described in a previous post. This turntable could feed 3 sidings, and was mostly moulded plastic.

This turntable was re-numbered R.408U on the introduction of "System 6" track. The turntable had Super 4 Track, and used the R.476 "Converter Track" to connect to System 6 layouts. The "U" suffix was dropped in 1973, and production ceased in 1974.

It uses the "TT Gauge" motor. The Part No.for the pinion is not listed in the instruction leaflets I have, and there is not a service sheet listed in my indexes.

There is also a tension spring, by the way. ST.6053, that holds the motor assembly in position.

Hopefully the attached images will help....

Note that the pinion has "A" on it, and is held on by a screw....

Also see here...Includes a list of part no.s for the conversion kit...saves me typing them out!

http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/oonew/TurnTConvert.htm

http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/oonew/TurnTNew.htm

--------------------

+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2020 - 16:37