> travel Posters
John Webb
post 29 Jun 2020, 08:39
Post #3511

Railways Czar

Group: Members
Member No.: 144

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 29 Jun 2020, 06:31) *

To my great surprise I found that both the 'Precipice Walk" and the "Torrent Walk" are still marked on the maps and found these:
The Precipice Walk

© Copyright Jeff Buck and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Falls on Afon Clywedog

© Copyright John Winder and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Both seem quite reasonable matches!

But following those successes, I'm unable to match the 'Festiniog' picture. Neither Blaenau Ffestiniog nor Llan Ffestiniog (both of which are some miles north of Dolgellau) seem to bring up matches anywhere near the print. I wonder if there is some small hamlet near to Dolgellau which isn't marked on the maps?

John
Go to the top of the page

+
Makemineadouble
post 30 Jun 2020, 05:21
Post #3512

Minister of Transport

Member No.: 203

+
John Webb
post 30 Jun 2020, 09:04
Post #3513

Railways Czar

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 30 Jun 2020, 06:21) *

Modern ferries on this route run direct to Dublin, and are not, of course, operated by the railways. They are rather bigger than the paddle-steamer of the print:
Holyhead ferry terminal

© Copyright Gareth James and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
And some ferries are rather different in design and speed:
HSS Stena Explorer at Holyhead, Holy Island

© Copyright P L Chadwick and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 30 Jun 2020, 06:21) *

This is Thaxted in Essex, a few miles from Stansted. A wider-angle view which shows the full glory of the building on the left edge of the print:
The old town hall & church

© Copyright Row17 and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Thaxted was the terminus of a branch off the former Great Eastern line via Harlow and on to Cambridge. A pre-Beeching victim, it closed to passengers in 1952 - see http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/t/thaxted/index.shtml for the details; it was a little distance away from the town centre. The buildings survive in private ownership; this is a glimpse of them:
Thaxted Railway Station

© Copyright Alan Hawkes and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Thaxted was the home for some years of the composer Gustav Holst, noted for "The Planets Suite" in particular, which he wrote at Thaxted in 1917. One theme from 'Jupiter' Holst adapted into the hymn tune called "Thaxted".

Close to Thaxted is this windmill:
Sunset at John Webb's Windmill, Thaxted

© Copyright Gareth Hughes and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
But not owned by any close relation of mine!

John

+
Makemineadouble
post Yesterday, 05:47 AM
Post #3514

Minister of Transport

that is an impressive structure (old town hall Thaxted.

+
John Webb
post Yesterday, 10:05 AM
Post #3515

Railways Czar

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 1 Jul 2020, 06:47) *
that is an impressive structure (old town hall Thaxted.

I agree - I visited Thaxted about 20 years ago and it is very distinctive - I recognised the location immediately.

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 1 Jul 2020, 06:47) *

Not so easy to find the location of this print, derived from a watercolour done in 1947 by Edgar Thomas Holding, according to the 'Travelling Art Gallery' website I came across last week. According to that site it was never actually used in carriages! Major changes in industry along the Tyne, housing redevelopment etc. make it hard to locate the view in the print with certainty. I think we're somewhere near with this photo from 1982 - the ferry landing stage access bridge looks very similar to the painting:
South Shields ferry 1982

© Copyright John Stephen and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
However, the above ferry pier seems to have gone and been replaced by this one:
South Shields, Ferry Terminal

© Copyright wfmillar and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
We are looking, I think, from a point several hundred yards south of the print viewpoint with a rather wide angle lens. There has been a considerable change in the appearance of both banks of the Tyne.

John

+
Makemineadouble
post Today, 05:56 AM
Post #3516

Minister of Transport

very close John South Shields. Wonderful watercolor.
After that an easy one I certainly think I've seen this one a good few years ago in some carriage

+

235 Pages V  « < 233 234 235
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd July 2020 - 07:14