> NS 8811 Austerity 0-6-0ST in gauge 1
kevsmith
post 3 May 2020, 19:58
Post #1

Passed Fireman

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,527

The Hunslet Austerity 0-6-0ST as NS 8811

Forgive the lengthy pre-amble but before going into the construction of my latest 'lets get it finished in lockdown' projects I thought I'd give you some background on the 'whys and whats'

Many years ago, long before I went fully into Z gauge, I used to tour the U.K with two big gauge 1 exhibition layouts. One was based on a typical British coal mine and the other on a Bavarian branch line. As the show team got older and we found ourselves living further apart geographically it became apparent that lugging 8 metre long, heavy, layouts about was getting too much so they were both retired and sold.

Mardy Colliery principally ran small British industrial tank locomotives and here the saga of the Austerity tanks begins. The design was a development of a standard Hunslet 550050 class modified and simplified to meet the requirements of the war department commission for a locomotive that could be built in large numbers relatively easily for use in the U.K and Europe after liberation to replace the thousands of locomotives lost in conflict.

No less than 485 were eventually built by Hunslet and other manufacturers and so rugged and powerful was the design that construction carried on until 1964!

The Wemyss Private railway in Scotland had theirs handsomely finished in crimson lake. I really must get around to rewashing the original transparency and rescanning !

I started with the 550050. Construction was nickel silver superstructure on a GFS steel chassis with wheel castings by Locosteam and power was a Beuhler motor mounted vertically in the firebox. All axles were sprung. It had the characteristic deep buffer beams and sloping back to the bunker. It was finished in an industrial livery and named 'Topham'

I wince when I look at the coupling rods I used to do back in those days!

Kev
Go to the top of the page

+
kevsmith
post 3 May 2020, 20:10
Post #2

Passed Fireman

seen shunting the coal screens on Mardy with 68011

So the next one was 68011. A standard model that went into British Railways stock after the war and went into preservation on the Kent and East Sussex railway. Construction was the same as 'Topham' and it was a very powerful, smooth runner. It became the loco of choice to bring the empties up the incline into the colliery yard on the layout as the four wheelers usually needed a banking engine to get up.

I went a bit mad with this one and fitted full working inside vale gear which you could just about see when it was running. Seen here attacking the incline up to the colliery

Lurking in the wheel casting drawer were two more sets of driving wheel castings. Jack wanted an Austerity that had the unique cut down cab of the examples that ran on the Lambton, Hetton and Joicey Colliery system in the North East coalfields and so I started two more locos with the fourth being again a standard example. This time the superstructure was brass but in all other respects the design was as before. I got the Lambton cab one finished after a major fight with the shape of the roof

Photo taken on one of the first, ghastly, digital cameras

Kev

+
kevsmith
post 3 May 2020, 20:20
Post #3

Passed Fireman

The last, fourth one ,fell off the radar and was dispatched to the loft in 2000. Every now and then it was taken out and dusted off but my heart really wasn't in it so it has languished for quite a while. Now I am working from home due to the lockdown and there no show deadlines for the Z layouts it seemed the obvious next one to finish after the Thai railways C56 2-6-0

The first thing to decide was what to finish it as. Another British one didn't appeal to me but then I remembered the 27 that were sold to the Netherlands Railways after the war. Substantially unaltered, no less than three of these have survived into preservation in Holland to join the 67 other examples that have survived. That's right, there are 70 still surviving today and it has been a mainstay of preserved lines in the U.K for decades being powerful, easy to maintain and easy to get hold of.

I've decided to do NS 8811. It won't be an exact copy as the original has been modified in preservation a couple of times but should be fairly close and finished in WD Green with the characteristic continental headlamps.

Laying all the bits out it was apparent it wasn't far off. It had donated one wheelset to the Lambton one due to a quartering issue and the side rods needed tweaking and I couldn't find the firebox backhead anywhere so will have to make another.

A start was made by making the torque arm that holds the motor upright but allows the back axle to move up and down on the springs and also the inside valve gear. 68011 had full working inside valve gear but on 8811 it will be static. It is just to fill the big empty void between the frames. The chassis was then run up and down with the gear wheel disengaged to check for tight spots. One crankpin hole needed easing slightly and it was o.k

A start was made on the backhead, reversing stand and the details on the cab roof

The boiler/saddle tank assembly didn't take much finishing but is going to need a lot of cleaning up of excess solder

+
kevsmith
post 3 May 2020, 20:31
Post #4

Passed Fireman

Balance weights added including the correct off centre on on the middle axle to balance the conrods and valve gear. brake hangers and blocks added. You can see the inside valve gear

brake rigging added and the 'bloody' injectors which are pigs to make and involve lots of finger burning but are so prominent on the real thing you can't ignore them

The additional NS fitted steps and grab rail on the bunker were added and the mechanical lubricator. I was so lucky to find I still had one left from all those years ago

This picture shows the superstructure after being given a good grit blasting. There was a lot of tarnishing and crud in the cab and bunker which was really tricky to get at

+
kevsmith
post 3 May 2020, 20:48
Post #5

Passed Fireman

Chassis and wheelsets in red oxide primer

Now being brass the preparartion for painting is vital, in this odd looking picture the boiler/saddle tank has been grit blasted (not with one of the model ones available but a full size one I got from either Aldi or Lidl) I use one of the clear 25L stacking plastic storage boxes from supermarkets as a makeshift cabinet to do it in. And is now sat in white vinegar to etch it. Every now and then it will be inverted and agitated to ensure it gets into all the nooks and crannies.

The brake rigging, backhead and reversing stand get similar treatment as do the coupling rods and cab roof. Once rinsed and dry the are primed with Hycote aerosol etch primer. I'd already tested this on one of the 20T coke hoppers and it seemed to be quite good if a little expensive (£12 a can)

So..
Chassis and wheelsets in black. cab, footplate and boiler in etch primer. brake rigging painted. backhead just needs the handwheels adding

Kev

+
kevsmith
post 3 May 2020, 21:00
Post #6

Passed Fireman

The wheelsets after priming and top coating were popped back in the lathe to polish the treads up. The crankpins were polished up and the inside of the frames and the dummy valve gear painted Tamiya red. The rods have come out a little dark but can eaily be removed if I decide to change the colour.

Really getting on the home straight now but first " Nearly a bit of a disaster". I have no qualms about using car aerosols on models this big and bought a couple of cans on Hycote British racing green for the mian body colour. Warmed the can, opened all the windows in the workshop and started to spray........

it was bloody metallic!

Fortunately I had only misted one side so stopped there to let it dry and started rooting through the paint cupboard to see what else I'd got

Brooklands green

More tomorrow

Kev

+
Richard Johnson
post 4 May 2020, 08:52
Post #7

Just another modeller
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 703

*** A lovely project to get stuck in to.

You have made me conscious that I need to create a new workspace and also get stuck in to the many loco's I have in the cupboard waiting for me to warm up the soldering Iron. Thanks for sharing it

Richard

--------------------

Direct honest advice from DCC, DC & Modelling experts

Please do visit us at Unit E, The Sidings, BD24 9RP.... right behind Settle Station.
Ph +44 (0) 1729 821 080 or email to
[email protected]
Further customer service available online at:
https://www.dccconceptsforum.com

+
kevsmith
post 4 May 2020, 20:50
Post #8

Passed Fireman

Hi Richard
I think now is the time we have no excuse not to bite the bullet and get these thing out blinking nto the sunlight. Although the missus keeps dropping, not very subtle, hints about the fencing around the back gardens

test assembled

Sprung buffer heads added, screw couplings and coupling rods painted burgundy

Now I asked Martijn over on JNS forum, who is Dutch, if he could point me in the direction of some info re. NS driver and fireman's uniform. Based on his info I went scurrying back into the loft as I was sure I had siome figures somewhere

Backhead and reversing stand in. I know the backhead is not quite deep enough but it will do for me., Preesure gauges in

Now the Dutch headlamps are quite strange to me and I only have photographic evidence to work on so I used a couple of my cast resin German lamps and modified them to look something like. It is not a very flattering photo but ypou get the idea

Kev

+
kevsmith
post 8 May 2020, 09:44
Post #9

Passed Fireman

Finished

Lamps painted and lenses in. Glazing in cab

The lettering was some old dry print I had. Rather than try and put it staright on the model I applied it to some Microscale clear waterslide sheet, varnished it and applied normally. It is a lot easier to position correctly that way

Just got to deicide what the next project is going to be now

Kev

+
kevsmith
post 8 May 2020, 20:19
Post #10

Passed Fireman

Part 2 of the build video

NS 8811 part 2

cheers

Kev

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd July 2020 - 21:09