Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bemo HO Glacier Express. What track and DDC to use on a Noch Layout? ?
Doug Gilham
post 9 Jan 2021, 04:19
Post #1

Baggage Porter

Group: Members
Member No.: 215,035

Hi All,

I scored a Noch Schonuhlem HO layout virtually Brand New including the bridges and as I've always loved the look of the Glacier Express I and considering the Bemo HO version as my understanding that is will run on standard HO tracks.
I am aware that they make a HOm system and this requires HOm tracks which seem to be not as readily available?

So who's running what and what controller? 230V output here in Australia so anything European should work OK with the right adapter?

Yes I've downloaded the track guide from the Noch site but am more interested what people have out there and working!

Cheers,

Doug G

Go to the top of the page

+
Babz
post 9 Jan 2021, 21:23
Post #2

Footplate Inspector

Member No.: 11,666

HI Doug I have one of those Noch Layout mine is Baden Baden and i have used Minitrix NGauge on it as i only ever until 20 years ago collected N Gauge German.They are great if you do not have much time. I also Have Bemo Swiss in Ho. What i would say is the Noch system comes with different makes of Track systems booklet that you can use. If it was me I would stick to one of these. But it is your railway. I came across Bemo late in my modeling collection. But if i was only going to do Swiss outline from the beginning i would go for Hom. For me it was too late to change. Hope this Helps Babs

+
Doug Gilham
post 9 Jan 2021, 23:10
Post #3

Baggage Porter

Thx Babs,

Yep I have the Noch Track guide for it. So the Bemo HO runs fine on the Minitrix tracks? I know I can get a Trix HO starter kit with a nice DDC controller included here? The Bemo importer here in Australia told me the "radius's" on the Nock layouts were too tight and to go with the HOm version, but the Schouhlem is actually 3 big Loops with no cross-overs so it really doesn't have tight turns!?! I got it technically secondhand although its never had tracks or anything added to it other then the 2 bridges. Just sat in someones garage until they decided to build an N layout instead. Paid 1/4 of the price for it off Retail..... smile.gif

What Controller are you using with your system? Is the Bemo HO worth the $$$ as it's AU$750 just for the Loco here.....

Cheers,

Doug G.

+
Babz
post 10 Jan 2021, 09:52
Post #4

Footplate Inspector

Hi Doug The Bemo Ho DOES NOT RUN ON HOM tracks i run N Gauge on my Noch Layout and use minitrixN gauge track on the layout. I am also building a loft layout in Swiss Ho and i am using Fleischmann Profi Track. ( They donot make it anymore) . Hope this now makes sense. I am using Uhlenbrock controllers for my DCC Ho Layout and a 4 track Morley n Gauge uk made.Babs
Ps I would buy the Trix Starterset and see how you like the track system and if you don't then keep it for testing.

+
Doug Gilham
post 10 Jan 2021, 10:13
Post #5

Baggage Porter

Hi Babs,

OK so you're not running the Bemo HO on your Noch layout as it's got Minitrix N gauge? But you are building a new layout for it in HO?

I know that HO and HOm is different - 16.5mm compared to 12mm the supplier here was suggestion the HOm tracking and a matching Bemo HOm train and wagons as he thinks the radius on the Noch layout is to tight for standard HO?

I will checkout the Uhlenbrock controllers.

Cheers,

Doug.

+
Babz
post 10 Jan 2021, 11:12
Post #6

Footplate Inspector

Hi Doug I have been a collector of HO for many many years as well N Gauge. In the last5 years i did a loft conversion for my Ho Gauge as well as a storeroom. Bemo have only been doing HO for about 5 years or less. When i went to one of the Shows in Germany about 6 years ago ( Intermodellbau Dortmund ) The Bemo guy was adament that they were never going to do Ho eloks in less than 2 years after that they produced the Glacier Express lok.
Regarding Controllers You would probably be better of in the long run with a Roco Z21 very easy to use or the Marklin/trix Cs3 or Cs3+ anyway it is your choice and whatever you think suits you.
Babs

+
kristopher1805
post 10 Jan 2021, 21:15
Post #7

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 8,315

I would suggest Roco Z21 but use it with an ipad not any other because it works better than with android, as a result it has endless upgrade capability and my OO system copes with 10 trains simultaneously all the Roco and Fleischmann trick systems but in my case all the track is Peco who incidentaly also make smaller gauges like HOm, OO9 etc.

It might be worth looking at the limited Peco HOm range but it could be helpful to you and be cheaper than the German items, also of interest here is the rail joiners which can be bought with electrical feed wires and they are excellent I use in both my OO9 and the OO layout.

In terms of utility the OO9 is not on DCC as there is no need and in some instances DCC is a slow operating system, I did run some points on DCC but they were exceedingly slow and reverted to Peco push buttons.

Whatever you chose good luck and post some pics please.

+
Doug Gilham
post 10 Jan 2021, 23:40
Post #8

Baggage Porter

Hi Kristopher,

My Noch Layout is only 160 x 100 cm and 3 loops so really I'm think one train only.

The idea of something being Super expandable with lots of programming options and ipad compatible is however rather appealing. I have seen the Peko tracking and the ability to buy long flexible sections at a rather small cost is also worth considering but thinking ideally I'd like a starter kit with tracking and a controller just to get me up and running.

Cheers,

Doug

PS I will post images once I work out how to do it!

+
post 11 Jan 2021, 12:03
Post #9

Foreman
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 2,987

Doug,
I do not want to state the bleeding obvious, but I will for your benefit.
Modelrailforum is a truly excellent site, with many knowledgeable folk posting their expertise in a wide range of subjects. The people that post regularly on 'H0 & International' are all wonderful, warm, brilliant and friendly people and give wonderful advice of their own free will.
However, to answer your specific questions it may be easier to visit an English speaking forum that deals mainly in German railways, but with input about all sorts of topics, including Bemo and Swiss prototypes.
Recently, one contributor has built his own dual trackage system for H0 and H0m, knows all about DCC and has even built his own working catenary. He also runs his version of the Glacier Express.
One click will do it....

German Rail Forum

The people there are also wonderful, brilliant, warm, and friendly (several individuals contribute their valuable knowledge to both sites).

Enjoy

+
Doug Gilham
post 11 Jan 2021, 23:02
Post #10

Baggage Porter

Ok thanks for that link.

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th January 2021 - 02:12