> Hornby catalog 2021, a viewpoint
kristopher1805
post 11 Jan 2021, 22:05
Post #1

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 8,315

Perhaps this should be long to another forum such as News but the forum says I do not have permission to post there - take that moderators! question.gif

Anyway one of my local news agents had a Hornby edition 67 for 2021 and quite an impressive edition it is too, a lot of pages in glossy A4 format with Evening Star of the front in Cuneo style and the layout is pretty much down to the usual format starting off with train sets, the start is for kiddies train sets under the 'playtrains' label which is nice for little ones although they are remote controlled battery operated stock on what looks to b e plastic track, it is a fair system for what it is so after the featured sets we have additional diesel outline locos and some rolling stock but it does not look in any way compatible withe the regular product as we know it.

Then we have Paddington which seems to use the same plastic track and an HST style of train, there is a picture of the TV starring Peruvian Bear called Paddington, I have a soft spot for the station as I was once interviewed for Station Master there so good luck to Paddington!

After this comes Santa's Express the worlds fastest steam train which must be able to travel at least 1,000 miles per hour to get round the planet in 24 hours, that raises some issues but it looks to me like a GWR 101 with a couple of trucks but a starter set for sure. Then comes similar Highland rambler which has a wagon with Inverness on it suggesting that it is a Highland railway effort only backed up by HR on the saddle tank the loco is in Caledonian blue not Highland green however (hint guys the Caley ran to Oban!)
Another small trainset comes as Valley drifter sort of more of the same and another 0-4-0tank

Next comes GWR freight and an open cab pannier tank hauling a wagon, a coach, a railed 10 ton crane and a GWR guards van so this one looks a better effort all round

Next a GWR (First Group) 3 car HST in dark green which is not so bad as old HST's are in use in 4 coach formations down 'ere luvvers it looks well done as a model so if you like these things then this might have a broad appeal.

Next a 4 coach Eurostar set looks OK - ish

A Flying Scotsman set with a loco in apple green, 3 teak coaches so a classic of railway history.

So more tomorrow to reveal the innards of the Hornby edition 67!
Go to the top of the page

+
kristopher1805
post 12 Jan 2021, 22:43
Post #2

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Me confused by the next item the HM 6000 app circuit control, from what it says it is a sort of Z21 as apps on a device allow control of the loco set, it comes with a deisel outline loco 3 wagons a loop and a siding but not a device such as an ipad, what its capabilities are is anyones guess and why it is presented this way is curious, who knows?

Next a Beatles graphic eurostar with 4 car unit, looks odd with the yellow submarine graphics 4 wagons are available as well - just very odd to my view.

Next up a Coca Cola summertime set and a Christmas set, usual 0-4-0 tank locos and a pair of wagons

Onto Harry Potter next and the set with a Hall loco and 2 coaches looks a bit more like a Grange named Hogwarts Castle there are additional items available beyond that and then we hit the Railroad selection

2 train packs with 0-4-0 locos and 3 wagons each

6 various 0-4-0 locos including good 'ole smokey Joe, an 0-6-0t in SE&CR livery - more to follow!

+
butler-henderson
post 13 Jan 2021, 18:12
Post #3

Station Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,211

QUOTE (kristopher1805 @ 12 Jan 2021, 22:43) *
Me confused by the next item the HM 6000 app circuit control, from what it says it is a sort of Z21 as apps on a device allow control of the loco set, it comes with a deisel outline loco 3 wagons a loop and a siding but not a device such as an ipad, what its capabilities are is anyones guess and why it is presented this way is curious, who knows?

See pages 196-197

+
Julian2011
post 13 Jan 2021, 20:33
Post #4

C55

Member No.: 9,766

There is also a page in the Hornby website, which has a video demonstration of the HM 6000, which is matched to the HM 6050{??} accessory operator {4 accessories}. It seems to connect to an App {downloaded from some part of the Ether} and Bluetooth connect to the HM 6000.

Well, it looks smart anyway.

Julian

--------------------

+
rb277170
post 15 Jan 2021, 19:47
Post #5

Foreman

Member No.: 110

It’s an analogue control system Apparently it can control two circuits and you can put four together to control up to 8. It was announced last year and is called HM6000. It should allow you to operate the circuits using an app on your phone or 6ablet . It can also be used to plan your layout and I believe has a series of sounds which comes from your phone tablet . I did think about getting one when it comes out but I think I prefer the good old turn the control knob and it goes appracoh to control . Should appeal to the younger generation tjough , without all the hassle/ extra cost of DCC

+
butler-henderson
post 16 Jan 2021, 12:52
Post #6

Station Master

Worth noting the catalogue is already incorrect
https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/n/32/...heir-2021-range

+
kristopher1805
post 19 Jan 2021, 14:03
Post #7

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Well thanks for the comments adds some perspective to the products.

Next up is the Harrty Potter set which has a GWR loco in red and named Hogwarts Castle, but of course it is likely a Grange or maybe a Hall in Collett format and it comes with a pair of Mark 1 coaches, I did buy some such coaches but they have slightly different side strips and numbers so if you look closely you see the differences so although nice enough I took mine out of service as being incorrect, I never had the loco just 3 coaches.
To support the train set therer are some buildings modified to fit the train colours from the usual scaledale range etc.

Now then to just emphasise the confusion in elec trics there is a Remote control Hogwarts express train set but this is a cheaper set with some adapted old coaches so it is not the same as the regular Hornby offering, then comes track packs to support this effort which is veery toy train in appearance.

So now we move onto the Railroad range,
1st, an 0-4-0 with a wagon a van and a 4 wheel coach as a track pack.

2nd, an 0-4-0 diesel with a wagon, a van and a tanker.

This sets up a selection of 6 0-6-0 steam locos and an 0-6-0

The steamers include the old favourite of smokey Joe and some we have seen in sets.
The 0-6-0tank is finished in SECR livery which looks quite nicely done whilst the 0-4-0's are more toy train style.

So onto the rest of the Railroad steam range
1, Dean single 'Achilles' 4-2-2 looks quite well I assume based on the old Lord of the Isles and the Thomas 'Emily' - I fixed one of these for a friend and it ran very well.
2. LMS Compound in LMS black.
3. B17 in LNER green named Liverpool after the football club
4. The P2, Cock of the North, now I have one of these in the early pre streamlined version, really strong pulls well and no trouble with the CMX, however the valve gear includes plastic parts and these are week but worth a go if you can find a use for it.
5. An A1 as 4472 Flying Scotsman presumably an earlier casting but likely a capable product.
6. A blue LNER Mallard, I have none of these but if the A! is OK then so must the A4 be also.
7. Crosti 9F, now I do have one of these and it is quite nice, 92028 is weathered and is a bit doubtful as a Railroad model, I use mine quite a bit but it lacks cab doors and a few details but I think it is quite good however mine has a habit of rail climbing on sharp curves so on my layout this is not a big problem but I wonder about R2?

Next up Railroad diesels!

+
butler-henderson
post 19 Jan 2021, 18:44
Post #8

Station Master

QUOTE (kristopher1805 @ 19 Jan 2021, 14:03) *
Next up is the Harrty Potter set which has a GWR loco in red and named Hogwarts Castle, but of course it is likely a Grange or maybe a Hall in Collett format

Its a Hall, which is prototypically correct as 5972 Olton Hall was painted and named as such

Now then to just emphasise the confusion in electrics there is a Remote control Hogwarts express train set but this is a cheaper set with some adapted old coaches so it is not the same as the regular Hornby offering, then comes track packs to support this effort which is veery toy train in appearance.

That is made by Lionel https://www.lionelstore.com/Hogwarts-Expres...ady-To-Play-Set

So now we move onto the Railroad range,
1st, an 0-4-0 with a wagon a van and a 4 wheel coach as a track pack.

That 0-4-0 uses the clockwork Thomas body

This sets up a selection of 6 0-6-0 steam locos and an 0-6-0

Actually 6 0-4-0s; one of which uses the clockwork Thomas body (R30052 BR black)and one the (electric) Percy body (R30038 T Brown Distillers).

The 0-6-0tank is finished in SECR livery which looks quite nicely done

The 0-6-0 has the Thomas body which was tooled up by mutilating the LBSCR E2 tooling

1, Dean single 'Achilles' 4-2-2 looks quite well I assume based on the old Lord of the Isles

It is.

+
kristopher1805
post 20 Jan 2021, 11:36
Post #9

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Great thanks Butler Henderson and correcting my spelling errors, some interesting notes there as well.

+
Peter Armond
post 20 Jan 2021, 15:20
Post #10

Footplate Inspector

Member No.: 560

I think there is a need to distinguish which Hogwarts Express that kristopher is talking about. If it is the R1234 set it is Hornby. The Lionel model is Not made by Hornby and is much larger than 00 gauge probably O gauge or maybe even Gauge 1

+
butler-henderson
post 20 Jan 2021, 18:13
Post #11

Station Master

QUOTE (Peter Armond @ 20 Jan 2021, 15:20) *
I think there is a need to distinguish which Hogwarts Express that kristopher is talking about. If it is the R1234 set it is Hornby. The Lionel model is Not made by Hornby and is much larger than 00 gauge probably O gauge or maybe even Gauge 1

The R1234 set is not OO; it has a track gauge of 55mm and is made by (or for) Lionel; the Hornby catalogue has an image of the box quite clearly with the Lionel since 1908 circular logo on it

+
Julian2011
post 20 Jan 2021, 20:35
Post #12

C55

Hi BH,
Hattons have the R1234 down as a DCC ready 1:76 scale, with a box which has what looks like Hornby's latest HP offering. I haven't seen the Lionel before and your link was quite a revelation. It prompted me to have a look at the other offerings Harry Potters, Lionel may have done. Several on offer, as well as the battery radio control one, with some nice looking ones, too.

However, I think I'll stick with my previous Hornby version... interesting 'though.

Julian

--------------------

+
butler-henderson
post 20 Jan 2021, 21:51
Post #13

Station Master

QUOTE (Julian2011 @ 20 Jan 2021, 20:35) *
Hattons have the R1234 down as a DCC ready 1:76 scale,

Correction - the 55mm gauge one shown in the catalogue on page 23 is R1268M
The 1:76th one is shown on pages 20-21 now as R1234M for some reason

+
Julian2011
post 20 Jan 2021, 23:20
Post #14

C55

QUOTE (butler-henderson @ 20 Jan 2021, 21:51) *
Correction - the 55mm gauge one shown in the catalogue on page 23 is R1268M
The 1:76th one is shown on pages 20-21 now as R1234M for some reason

Thanks for the clarification BH, I confess to liking much of their combined offerings - sad git!! Reality says that I suspect the wallet may be more difficult to be eased open.

Julian

--------------------

+
kristopher1805
post 21 Jan 2021, 19:36
Post #15

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

OK another round of locos and more Railroad.

The deseasals now with a couple of Bagnall 01's a GBRf class 20, - I know these as pairs of them used to pass my back garden with coal trains, some more diesel and electric thingymagigs then the start of railroad plus

This is kinda odd because it says Railroad Plus has enhanced livery and extra detail so it would be easy to fit the Crosti here another 7 of such colourful paint schemes which leave me confused, whats wrong with weathered black?

Last of this group is a Tornado in late BR livery and it looks rather nice all told

Then we get Railroad Plus with enhanced livery, extra detail and TTS sound, now I am not bothered about this overpriced innovation but OK if thats what you want,
1. Tornado but now in BR apple green
2. Mallard in LNER blue looks quite well
3. Flying Scotsman in LNER green as 4472

Some more modernish things in WW2 anti submarine camouflage then to round off

a class 37 in blue is bland
and a Deltic in early BR green. at least I can recognise them.

see you soon - Kris

+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th January 2021 - 01:35