Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ESU Ecos 2, Dcc Controller
Babz
post 12 Jan 2021, 15:41
Post #1

Footplate Inspector

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,666

Hi Everyone I hope this year will get better. Iam thinking of buying the ESU Ecos 2 controller can anyone give me some good or bad feedback I have a lot of Trix sound loks now and with other controllers apart from Marklin Dcc You cannot use all the Cv's will this ecos unit give me it all. I use Zimo ,Massoth , Esu, and D& H decoders as well the Marklin Mfx. Good Idea or not Thanking you in advance.
Babs
Go to the top of the page

+
dwb
post 12 Jan 2021, 17:04
Post #2

Station cat
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 507

I have the earlier monochrome Ecos 1. As I understand it, the biggest difference is the colour display which means you get much better pictures of your locos.
I think the latest Ecos also has a higher power output so you can run more locos. I've lost count of how many locos I have on the layout at a time but I've not run out yet.
As for control of CVs and functions, I would guess all Ecos are pretty much the same. As I have no problem with sound locos with function counts up into the 20s, the Ecos 2 will be at least as good.

Now for the interesting part - I've decided to buy a Roco Z21 for my shelf layout. Most of Continental locos are Roco and as I have a couple of camera loks, I like the idea of the integrated video / driving control app for mobiles. It's just a pity that my wife's old iPad is 32 bit and limited to OSX 10.3 whereas the Roco tablet control app needs OSX 11+... sad.gif

David

--------------------
Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 900+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.

+
kristopher1805
post 12 Jan 2021, 19:07
Post #3

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 8,315

I was attracted to the Ecos unit but bought the Z21 I run up to 10 trains at a time, I have approx 220 locos with decoders fitted on the system (actually 49 trains on the railway plus 20 or so on shed) and it is a lot cheaper as the graphics is handled by an ipad and of course it is infinitely upgradeable, so that works for me and I would not go another way now but the ipad is filling up as it is getting old.

I use a lot of different decoders but use mostly Bachmann 21, 18 pin decoders and DCCConcepts nano 8 pin plus a very few Hornby 6 and a 4 pin but I have many others such as Lokpilot V4 etc and it works with all and it is no trouble coding up on the ESU tester or on the loco.

So yes pleased with the unit only issue is the Roco instruction manual which tells you how wonderful they are but less about how to get it to work, once passed that it is fine, (well they are German after all)

+
enM
post 12 Jan 2021, 20:08
Post #4

Passed Fireman

Member No.: 3,316

Hi Babz,
I have a number of ECOS controllers and David is correct the latest ECOS has I think a 6 amp supply. (I inherited 2 ECOS from friends, who I had helped set up their ECOS, but sadly now passed on.) They are fairly intuiative and handy having the 2 controls.
I only have half the loco's David has, mostly with loksound decoders. The auto registration with Railcom plus is a benefit as it saves time with not having to read all the CV's of loksound decoders.
The Z 21 is one of the few controllers I have not used.
It is best to go and try at lest the ECOS and Z21 and see which meets your needs best. I would not swop the ECOS. As I fit repair and set up loco's for club members plus other local people I find the ECOS saves time in setting up Accelerating, Braking, Top speed low speed and middle speed all in one save.
(I use one ECOS set up for my layout, one is used by the club DCC layout and the other I take around when setting up or repairing DCC loco's for other people.)

Ian M

+
Babz
post 12 Jan 2021, 20:33
Post #5

Footplate Inspector

Hi Everyone Thank you for all your replies I must admit i am torn between the Ecos & The Z21. What puts me off totally with the Z21 is the Ipad thingy as i have never used Mac/ Ipad have only used samsung tablet and smart phones( that are not always Smart). I will probably go with the Ecos as i do use a lot of Esu Decoder as my preferred decoder to go to. I can only do this once. Thank you for all your input I am most grateful.
I hope all of you are able to stay well and the year gets better for all of us.
Babs

+
alanoes
post 12 Jan 2021, 22:25
Post #6

Fireman

Member No.: 16,298

Hi Babs,
Are you referring to locomotive functions ?
I run Z21 black and that can handle 29 (F0 to F28) although I have one loco that has 32 functions rolleyes.gif
Although I have mine connected to the ipad I don't use it for control. I use plug in multiMAUS hand controllers and WLANmaus wireless hand controllers (they come in handy when I'm messing about round the back of the layout)
I also use (although its not fully programmed yet) Train Controller Gold software on the PC for some automatic control.
Regards
Alan

+
Babz
post 13 Jan 2021, 10:21
Post #7

Footplate Inspector

Alan Good Morning Thank you for your reply. I know that you have a few Trix Loks and they have quite extensive CV's So does that mean
The Z21 Can be used for all the Trix CV'S especially in the some of the sets like the Rhinegold that you and i have.
Looking forward to your reply. I have to admit that i would rather run / Control with a laptop. As i am not an Ipad way of thinking person.
Babs

+
alanoes
post 14 Jan 2021, 19:34
Post #8

Fireman

Member No.: 16,298

Hi Babs,
No, the Z21 still only goes up to F28 as it is DCC standard, the only one I know of that does 32 is the Marklin Central station, there may be others but they will run on a different protocol than DCC, that's my understanding anyway, could be wrong.
I did look into whether it was possible to change the function numbers around somehow so you could , in the case of the Rhinegold set for example, swop over the higher number functions with lower numbers you don't use much, it was awhile ago now so can't remember how it went, but I obviously didnt find a way biggrin.gif
Will just have to wait for a DCC update that will increase the function numbers, I did read somewhere that it is possible to add loads, but has to be written into the software code
Regards
Alan

+
Babz
post 14 Jan 2021, 20:20
Post #9

Footplate Inspector

Alan thank you for your reply I hope you are well. What i have decided to do is use the Uhlenbrock system that i have connected to my laptop with ( Itrains Software ) And buy the Ecos 11 for other purposes ie G Scale and decoder stuff and see how that goes. Thank you for your input.
Take care.
Babs

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th January 2021 - 00:24