Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dean 40ft Passenger Luggage Van
Anthony Richards
post 25 May 2021, 22:11
Post #1

Fireman

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,794

One of a pair recently acquired in a box of parts. neither complete and both damaged through forceful dismantling and originally excessive use of polystyrene cement. As bought back in the 60s and 70s, these were an easy and straightforward build. As bought in bits recently, an absolute nightmare and a major raid on the bits box. Worth persevering with though as the only alternative was expensive brass, and these are attractive and unusual vehicles which are rarely modelled.

Tony
Go to the top of the page

+
34C
post 26 May 2021, 09:43
Post #2

In depth idiot

Member No.: 1,818

Very neat and tidy, and the added grabs and such ice the cake. Particularly like the 'reach through' gaps in the security grating, most characterful. Did these make it into BR operation?

As for polystyrene cement. Lurking among my operation's 'occasional stock' is a GW brown vehicle, which I think must have been assembled with a whole tube of the horrible stuff. Happily most of it was nowhere effective, enabling a reassembly salvage operation...

+
Anthony Richards
post 26 May 2021, 20:35
Post #3

Fireman

Yes, I know of two at least which survived after 1948: one was used as an office within a large goods shed and is now part of the collection at Didcot, having been fully preserved. Doubtless, being retired as an office under cover ensured its safety. The other I know of was converted into a tunnel inspection carriage in 1949. There must have been others dotted around the region, too, for a time. But only the Didcot one with us now I think.

Tony

+
34C
post 27 May 2021, 09:08
Post #4

In depth idiot

Member No.: 1,818

Thanks for that, I need something a little more modern then for my 1955 to 1962 time frame, probably a BG designed during Churchward's time. Already have a 'modern' Hawksworth BG, looking for something more olde worlde as an addition to the 'occasional' passenger rated van stock...

+
Anthony Richards
post 27 May 2021, 13:29
Post #5

Fireman

I guess that for your timeframe, the only survivors in traffic would have been relegated to Engineers or Departmental Stock. They would have been excessively rare by then, too.

Tony

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th June 2021 - 00:39