Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Raspberry pi applications via JMRI
Long funnel ...
post 14 Mar 2013, 10:52
Post #1

Longfunnelled&tiresome

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,630

SWMBO has always railed about the parallel lines that run through my head without any cross-overs. But just occasionally stuff leaks out across the six foot...

I've been aware of the sparky stuff that the little cheapo raspberry pi computer has spawned in the "design" world but only just a day or so ago realised I hadn't read anything about applications in the MRF forum (although I've just Googled to find that other forums have touched on it).

Here is a video application

I wondered whether there were more opportunities (say via a Sprog and JMRI) for train control/route selection that might be applicable.
question.gif
LF&T
Go to the top of the page

+
David Todd
post 14 Mar 2013, 12:48
Post #2

Minister of Transport
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 11,373

So, you do not wish to buy Ecos.............. happy.gif

--------------------
........dt........

Link below,is to my layout, Dover Priory and Town Yard.Kent Uk
https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...showtopic=20477

]Click this link and watch my Naff Video Company,clips,of my layout
http://www.youtube.com/user/ferriesdover/videos

+
Grumpy
post 14 Mar 2013, 13:56
Post #3

Passed Fireman

Member No.: 6,421

I've not come across much about using the RPI with model railways yet, but there is a version or JMRI available for it.
I've not tried it yet as I'm still working on the circuits.

As I understand it the RPI doesn't have enough inputs/outputs to control more than a few circuits. However the RPI does make a good controller/interface for Arduinos. These are easily programmable to control lots of circuits and can be either programmed or controlled by the RPI, or both.

I am learning how to use the Arduino to control various things like signals, etc. Once I have a grasp of what I want done I will swap to PICs for the low level controlling and let the RPI be master control, possibly with JMRI.

A video I came across. Here.

--------------------
Terry

If it ain't broke you're not driving it hard enough.

+
Suzie
post 14 Mar 2013, 18:01
Post #4

Foreman

Member No.: 5,367

Once you have your R-Pi running JMRI you can attach a Sprog as command station to run your layout via DCC, and a wireless router (or USB Wi-Fi adapter) to connect to Android or similar devices to be the controllers.

The local input-output situation on the R-Pi should not be a real problem because you can connect DCC accessory decoders to the track output of the Sprog.

Even if you are an analogue person for driving trains you can still use a DCC accessory control bus to operate signals and points with the advantage of a wide range of accessory decoders, and you can even make your own for special applications or to keep the cost down.

--------------------
Suzie x

+
SPROGman
post 14 Mar 2013, 18:11
Post #5

Footplate Inspector

Member No.: 499

QUOTE (Suzie @ 14 Mar 2013, 18:01) *
Once you have your R-Pi running JMRI you can attach a Sprog as command station to run your layout via DCC, and a wireless router (or USB Wi-Fi adapter) to connect to Android or similar devices to be the controllers.

If you already have a booster, we now have the SPROG Nano in limited quantities which interfaces between USB and a booster and will save a few pounds.

There is a write up of this, used with a WiFi throttle, on RMWeb.

Andrew
http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk

+
LetoII
post 14 Mar 2013, 18:40
Post #6

Footplate Inspector

Member No.: 7,636

I have thought about it previously but I just don't have the time and finances for another project at the moment so I have been deliberately restrained. I was thinking along similar lines though, using jMRI or something running on the pi to maybe do a bit of automation or detection/operation stuff like level crossings etc. Interested to see how others approach it but I'd Ned to upgrade my infrastructure a bit (point motors etc) to get the automation out of it really.

Kind regards
Dave

--------------------
I don't need to get a life, I have enough already ;)

+
Long funnel ...
post 15 Mar 2013, 00:53
Post #7

Longfunnelled&tiresome

Member No.: 10,630

Thank you for those responses- there are some interesting directions there to investigate.
smile.gif
LF&T

+

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th September 2020 - 20:30