Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

| Category: Model Exhibitions
entry 11 Jun 2006, 18:32
The destination for this weekend's outing is in the photo shown below.
IPB Image
But the destination was not "The Anchor Inn" nor was it for a pint of the amber nectar. In fact our destination can be seen at the very top of the photo, for "The Anchor Inn" is in Beer, and Beer is home to the Pritchard Patent Product Co. Ltd. better known to modellers the world over by their products marketed under the Peco label. (Note the recently heavily revised website which is well worth a visit).
Apart from the scenery,
IPB Image
the sea air and the attractions of Pecorama itself, this was "DCC weekend" at Peco and all the major players in the UK were there in a marquee in the gardens. The marquee had a small extension this year compared to last and all the stands seemed to be slightly larger than last year or maybe that is because I had my reading glasses on.
I thought that my researchs on DCC had told me just about everything I needed to know before finally paying out the "big bucks" and talking the plunge, so I had travelled more in hope than expectation of learning something new. The first hint that something was brewing was the sight of a 4-6-0 chassis sitting on a rolling road on the South West Digital stand. Focusing a little better, I noticed two pairs of thin blue wires leading to two rather large 41mm(?) speakers, one each end of the rolling road. Leaning in I could hear the "chuff, chuff" of a steam engine at low speed. So there it was - a South West Digital steam project on show. I felt I had found a unicorn or other mythical beast.
I loitered about the stand for a few minutes and during that time, the engine was taken up to a faster speed and then allowed to coast to a halt. During the coasting period, there was no "chuffing", just the sound of the motion.
Apparently this "sound project" is a two cylinder Great Western steamer and is still at the prototype stage. I was talking to Steve and whilst he did not give a firm delivery date, he indicated that a time frame of a few months was what they had in mind. I did ask about 3 cylinder Gresleys and whilst I got the impression that he would love to do one, I gather they fall into the "don't hold your breath" category. He did say that the LMS was on their list after the GW.
Almost in passing, I asked him what he thought of the ESU ECoS control unit that was powering the 4-6-0. He said there wasn't a lot he could say since he had only received it at 6pm the previous day but that so far he liked it a lot. Whilst he was not able to go further than that as a recommendation, he was handing out 48 page English ESU brochures and I now have one. The anticipated price is 400 and delivery is about September I think.
I've always liked the look of ESUs wireless controller and have been impressed by the versatility of their sound decoders. It seems to me that they are the company innovating in DCC at present. I have read the spec of the ECoS and I think I will go for that one when it comes out.
So rather like the enjoyable cliff walk from Beer to Seaton where you can come across unexpected views, my visit to Pecorama produced a glimpse of British steam sound and a "bang up to date" DCC central controller.
All in all, a great day out and I didn't get my feet wet.
IPB Image
PS. If you do decide to visit, take careful note of the directions on the Peco website. You don't get any signs to Beer or Seaton until you are on the A3052. You cannot just roll into Honiton from the A30 and hope to pick up signs from there. Otterton is pretty but a pretty long way from Beer.

« Next Oldest · dwb's Blog · Next Newest »

Comments

post 11 Jun 2006, 18:53
Comment #1

Station Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 106

How do I get a copy of the 48-Page English brochure?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
dwb
post 11 Jun 2006, 21:36
Comment #2

Station cat
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 507

>How do I get a copy of the 48-Page English brochure?
I would suggest emailing South West Digital. The business card stapled to the brochure gives an email address of [email protected] He may be able to suggest how someone in your territory can get a copy. For completeness, their website address is www.southwestdigital.co.uk

David

--------------------
Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 900+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.
dwb
post 16 Jun 2006, 18:43
Comment #3

Station cat
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 507

The GW 2 cylinder sound project is now (16 Jun 2006) listed at 95 in an ESU 3.5 decoder on South West Digital's website. It's the wrong region for me :-( or I'd try one.

David

--------------------
Want to post pictures in your posts but don't know how? Instructions can be found in this topic
Almost all the photos I post can be found in my albums. There are 900+ at present. Click the Gallery button to the left of this post.

« Next Oldest · dwb's Blog · Next Newest »