> Thornton, OO gauge dcc layout
34C
post 29 Apr 2020, 18:34
Post #286

In depth idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,818

QUOTE (Derek Goodwin @ 25 Apr 2020, 10:51) *
... I was particularly impressed with the Bachmann 9F, all the way around the layout up all my gradients and it did not miss a beat.
No powerbase magnets fitted either...

Rather akin to their BR std 4 2-6-4T, my feeling is they pulled the stops out a little because it would be compared with an existing
well liked model. Plenty of weight, first time a flywheel was fitted to a RTR OO steam model, and the 40:1 reduction; with a very
neat construction with nearly all the practical detail in 4mm RTR: all aimed at clear differentiation from the competition's product.
The killer improvement from my POV was the essential BR1F tender for an ER allocated spaceship. So popular a unit on my layout
that I have just taken one to wear out after roughly 13 years very regular use.
Go to the top of the page

+
Norman Byrne
post 29 Apr 2020, 20:32
Post #287

Station Master
Group Icon

Group: Plus+
Member No.: 13,364

Hi Derek,
Sorry to hear about the recent TT problems / frustrations - what a pain. You build those areas and trust there longevity !
Lots of great input, but if it’s radical change / surgery, what about a change in position / more accessible - again changing things, but things and technology moves on perhaps ?
Good luck, Cheers Norm

+
Derek Goodwin
post 30 Apr 2020, 08:25
Post #288

Fireman
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,879

Button pressed...

It will be OK if the replacement last another 10 years.

Having almost finished the new engine shed I could not face ripping half of it up and starting again.

34C It's rather a pity some of my 4-6-0's cannot pull half that amount without help.

Derek

+
Derek Goodwin
post 7 May 2020, 08:04
Post #289

Fireman
Group Icon

Hi

The replacement turntable has arrived and been fitted. All is now well. Whilst waiting I carried out some long overdue loco maintenance, 2 loco's now back from the very sick list and a 3F is waiting for a replacement speaker (it got very tinny). Spent Tuesday filming a couple more videos, it took longer than expected due to the bin men arriving, followed promptly by the neighbor cutting their lawn. they are not as good as normal owing the the sun pouring in the widows. One shows the new fuel point and then around the mainline. the other goes through the new loco shed and down the branch line.

https://youtu.be/6_l39JOWG9k

https://youtu.be/pUz8_fTtpbI

Derek

+
34C
post 7 May 2020, 11:50
Post #290

In depth idiot

QUOTE (Derek Goodwin @ 30 Apr 2020, 09:25) *
...34C It's rather a pity some of my 4-6-0's cannot pull half that amount without help...

You so need to sample Hornby's B12/3 4-6-0. By using a largely metal body construction Hornby have 300g on the coupled wheels
and it pulls better than any RTR OO 4-6-0 I have sampled. There is absolutely no loss to appearance and detail compared to an
injection moulding, it is a case of 'everything to like about it'. Why they chose this for such good treatment rather than the dated
duo of black 5 or 8F is a good question, either would I think have caused rather more impact.

I hope that others - once they have tried this model - will pester Hornby for more of the same.

+
Derek Goodwin
post 10 May 2020, 09:25
Post #291

Fireman
Group Icon

Hi 34C

Like others I have trouble logging on so it might take time to reply to any posts.

I would love a B12 but it would be a bit of a stretch for the area I am trying to model, but I would bit your hand off for a powerful 4-6-0 of any sort. I put one of my Hornby engines on the scales and it weighed 250gms, but when I added weight the motor was not powerful enough and it stalled on the level with 4 mk1's.. I am a sucker for small tank engines and most of them seem to pull decent loads. eagerly awaiting the Johnson 1P 0-4-4T, who knows when it will arrive, the new Princess may make an appearance. I already have 2 of the older models.

Derek

+
34C
post 10 May 2020, 22:31
Post #292

In depth idiot

I have had to go to work on all the RTR OOs 4-6-0s vital for my layout operation, other than the B12/3: B1, B17, BR std 5MT. Two
each from Bachmann and Hornby, since they duplicated the B1. Never had any trouble with the motors from increasing the weight
of these models to give them enough traction for class 5 tasks. About 350g on the coupled wheels is about right.

+
Derek Goodwin
post 11 May 2020, 07:04
Post #293

Fireman
Group Icon

Hi 34C

I use powerbase, the effect it is the same as added weight. For me it is easier than adding weight in already cramped bodies and getting the balance right where you need it.

Derek

+
EPB
post 11 May 2020, 17:35
Post #294

Baggage Porter

Member No.: 10,733

I take it your lovely layout is named Thornton after Thornton Heath,Stanley Mill after Stanley Tech and the pub near to your station looks like a pub called the Fishermans Arms.? tongue.gif

+
34C
post 11 May 2020, 18:01
Post #295

In depth idiot

QUOTE (Derek Goodwin @ 11 May 2020, 08:04) *
I use powerbase, the effect it is the same as added weight. For me it is easier than adding weight in already cramped bodies and
getting the balance right where you need it.

But it costs money, whereas the lead came 'for free' in the form of off-cuts from roofing leadwork.
And there is no better therapy for the latest in public idiocy, than that of hammering a lump of lead into shape.

+
Derek Goodwin
post 12 May 2020, 06:25
Post #296

Fireman
Group Icon

Hi

A potted history...

I was born in Thornton Heath and lived there for 30 years. The layout was named before I found out there was an engine shed called Thornton. I also spent many a happy hour in the Fishermans arms, where the landlord threw us out at closing time with a rude word about trainspotters. Two out of three (not bad), the mill is named after my grandfather. The real Stanley mill is in Perthshire.

I don't have access to free lead, but as of Wednesday I will be able to go and smash some golf balls into the trees three times a week.

Derek

+
post 12 May 2020, 06:53
Post #297

Foreman
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,987

Hi Derek,

I was born in Thornton Heath and lived there for 30 years.

I was born in Mitcham Road, at the bottom of the hill from Thorntom Heath, not far from the Purley Way roundabout. We had trolley buses. My first school was Gonville Road Primary School - at the top of the hill - I notice it's called something different now. Small World.

+

20 Pages V  « < 18 19 20
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS    Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2020 - 01:20